Thread: Open letter to Brian M (Admin.) about locked price vs. offer

Default Open letter to Brian M (Admin.) about locked price vs. offer

Brian M (Administrator),

Request you reconsider your policy on locked price, on the swap & sell forum. I understand that you need to know what things sell for, so the house can have 5% and that is fair. And the payment is largely based on trust. However people post a firearm for a friend, the firearm sells, you should get your fee, maybe you do or maybe you don't, but my guess the member who posted feels his friend owes the fee, so you are trusting people who are not even members.

Now to my issue, Members are crying for ammo everyday. Other members have ammo they don't need, and would like to sell, because they have sold the firearm. Now if "NO" one knows the fair market value, because none has been available for months. why should the seller be compelled to post a firm price if he has no idea what the fair price should be. Why not let the market work it out. Some of us only come to the city every three or four months, and want to exit ASAP, and not look for ammo prices.

If a seller post a firearm for $1,295.-- and he keeps lowering the price every three days by $50.00 is that not a auction in reverse.....? And if five members say I'll give you such & such a offer, is that not a form of auction....? Eventually the buyer and seller find each other, and find a fair price for whatever is for sale.

Nobody wins if there is no transaction, the shopper who can't find .458 SOCOM ammo, or .10 MM ammo. and yet someone else has that ammo and is waiting for the market to say $XX.-- is the fair price. Yes, everyone wants sellers to sell there ammo for what they paid for it 8 years ago. Well, I want Google stock for the 8 year ago price. The Truth is most ammo sales is under $100.-- anyway so worrying about what it sold for is unimportant. And even rifles, so what if they are listed, make offer. Why should buyers expect to only buy if they can buy sub-fair value.

I request you reconsider you policy on (So called) firm listed price. Example I am looking at 12 boxes of .10 MM ammo, the price when I bought it was $14.95 and as I have no Firearm for that ammo, why should I be compelled to pull a price out of thin air. I feel it is fair to everyone for people to be allowed to make offers. If I list it for $14.95 I get cheated, and everyone who would have been happy to have it at some higher price, but missed it they also got cheated out of a fair shot to state what it is worth to them.

I respectfully request you reconsider this policy. Payment to you is based on trust, and so the market place should also be trusted to establish fair market value.

Default Pricing policies

Hope,

I greatly appreciate the suggestion.

I'm trying to understand the question; it seems to me that you're saying a poster should be able to list an item on a "make offer" or "bid" basis? We are deliberately trying to keep the S&S out of auction mode. It seems pretty straightforward to expect posters to know what price they're asking for something. If you're not sure of the value of ammunition, a few calls to local gun stores should give you a reasonable idea.

My apologies if I'm not understanding the questions very well. Feel free to clarify.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

It is your forum, you can manage it anyway you choose. So today Ken at Wild West Gun stated in a thread that they have not had any .458 SOCOM for three months. He also stated there is none available in the U.S. through distributors, jobbers, wholesalers, etc. He also stated that he get 3 calls per week from buyers looking for .458 SOCOM ammo. So whats .458 SOCOM ammo WORTH....Today....not three months ago today...?

Lets pretend that a forum member had twenty boxes of .458 SOCOM that his dad gave him for Christmas, and he no longer owns a .458 SOCOM Firearm. So what does he ask for the ammo....? FREE because thats what it cost him.....? or The last price any sold for in Seattle or Anchorage or New York....? Whats it worth....? So he sits on it waiting for a couple of transactions to establish the price. Does that serve him...NO. Does that help the people who need it...NO. Does it help you...NO. See no body wins.

For me I'll just take my ammo to the Aug. Gun Show, and mark it "MAKE OFFER". And someone will buy it, because after I get 6 or 16 or 26 offers I'll be comfortable with what the market wants to pay. I win, I get cash, I am happy, the buyer wins, he gets what he wants at the price he wanted to pay. You loose because you don't get the 5%. And everyone who comes back and asks what did you get for the .10 MM kind of gets something in that they get to know what the market is that day.

Lets take it a step further, I want to sell ammo to build a cabin, if the ammo does not sell till Aug. I won't start the cabin, that hurts everyone who would have worked on or sold material for the cabin. By restraining trade you help stagnate the economy. And that hurts everyone.

But this is your forum and you can do as you choose. I think the real looser is the guy who needs the ammo. And yes you would get complaints from the guy who wants to buy .22 LR for $4.90 per BRICK. Which is what I paid 54 years ago.

I don't care....You don't care.....Only the guy who needs the ammo cares......and he is pays the price for restrained trade.

Pick a price and mark it that price with an OBO.

Trying to figure out the max that someone will pay is not what a sales forum is for IMHO.

Price it at the price you want instead of selling to the highest bidder.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

O.K. watch me do it.......

O.K. it is posted, feel free to make a "BID".....Ooops, Sorry I meant OFFER.
    Have I got this figured out right Offer is not Bid.......Offer is Good...Bid is Bad.....But ain't the result the same......??????

This is FUN I think I'll but 15 boxes of .375 H&H up for BID....Oops...Sorry I meant OFFER.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    O.K. it is posted, feel free to make a "BID".....Ooops, Sorry I meant OFFER.
    Have I got this figured out right Offer is not Bid.......Offer is Good...Bid is Bad.....But ain't the result the same......??????

This is FUN I think I'll but 15 boxes of .375 H&H up for BID....Oops...Sorry I meant OFFER.
    Hi Hope (or should that read "High Hopes"? I'm not sure...)

I said I'm open to considering alternatives... but I don't want to change the whole way we do the Swap and Sell just because ammo prices are through the roof. So far I haven't heard anything that convinces me that you can't just put a price on the item and sell it like everyone else.

It would be one thing if you had a rare mineral that fell out of the sky from space, and nobody knew what it was worth. But this is ammunition. Just put a price on it that works for you and see what happens.

That said, I am still open to ideas that are not going to turn us into Ebay. Don't be mad at me, convince me!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Michael, I fired my best shot in post #3 of this thread. Sorry that is all I got.......My problem is I fully understand and empathize with your theory, so it is hard for me to mount a honorable attack of the forum policies. As a side note, I fear this Ammo Issue is "NOT" temporary as many hope, but is in fact the second broad based product after fuel, to experience shortages, and rapid price spikes, Will food be next....?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hi Hope (or should that read "High Hopes"? I'm not sure...)

I said I'm open to considering alternatives... but I don't want to change the whole way we do the Swap and Sell just because ammo prices are through the roof. So far I haven't heard anything that convinces me that you can't just put a price on the item and sell it like everyone else.

It would be one thing if you had a rare mineral that fell out of the sky from space, and nobody knew what it was worth. But this is ammunition. Just put a price on it that works for you and see what happens.

That said, I am still open to ideas that are not going to turn us into Ebay. Don't be mad at me, convince me!

-Mike

Let's bring this thread up to speed. LOL. So far Hope's ODD S&S Auction House attempt hasn't worked out so well.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=57059

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Let's bring this thread up to speed. LOL. So far Hope's ODD S&S Auction House attempt hasn't worked out so well.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=57059

For this reason we (the Members) now have a "NEW" Forum called the Ammo Dump, where the rules have changed, and and only there sellers can put ammo up for bid.

Default Just read this thread

If one sells something to get rid of it, they usually put a price on it that safisfies the seller. A buyer buys it or not based on what they can afford. If bought, the buyer is saying that that is a fair price. Buyer happy, seller happy. Bidding a price on ammo when the supply is low seems more like someone who hoarded their supply anticipating the shortage then taking advantage of it. Not saying anyone is doing that, just stating a perception. With that said, I have to side with Mike on this one because, on the surface I dont understand the argument of changing rules on a simple S&S board. Hope, I have enjoyed your posts in the past and this is not meant as a stab at you, just an observation from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRDGRUNNER View Post
    Hope, I have enjoyed your posts in the past and this is not meant as a stab at you, just an observation from my point of view.

No problem, the whole Idea of a forum is adults can have a conversation, and have respect for the others point of view. Franky I see both sides of the issue. And in fact I have gone from being a seller of 9MM to a buyer of 9MM ammo in just one week. The one issue that the Ammo Dump has helped me the most with is, members posting what they are paying for ammo. So the more of that the better. If you only come to town 4 times per year, you really don't know what stuff is selling for. So keep posting sales, and buys.