Thread: Hello from Downeast

Default Hello from Downeast

Hi gang, new member here from Maine. My wife and I are headed your way end of July. We will be staying with friends in Wasilla. I have been lurking here for a few months now, just trying to get my bearings, and absorb some info before our trip.
    It was ten years ago when we first visited your beautiful state, a short but great stay in Juneau.
    I have been studying up on the fishing opportunities in the South Central area, and am starting to get feel for the lay of the land so to speak. I purchased the book Alaska Fishing by Limeres and Pedersen, and a Delorme Atlas. Good stuff.
    The information available on the 'net seems to have no end. How the heck did we ever plan a fishing trip to a new frontier prior to the internet?
    Your state freshwater regs are initially overwhelming. I thought the Maine regs were complicated, but not anymore .
    As the time draws near, I will surely have some questions for you all as it relates to the fishing. I will be hitting the more popular road accessible creeks, and hope to tangle with my first silver salmon. Rainbows and dollys will be on the agenda as well. I plan to flyfish for the most part, but will have spinning gear as well. We will road trip for a few days to Seward and Homer, and hope to fish along the way. My Google Earth map looks like a pin cushion with all the placemarks I have been plotting for areas of interest .
    Anyhow, thanks for a great site, and looking forward to vacation!!

Jon.

Default Fellow Mainah

Jon, feel free to give me a shout, it will be like no Maine expierence. I grew up on Sebago and fished the alagash area and north. Let me know if you need any more help than your wasilla host will provide! Your timing will be very good!
    Tim

Default Wicked!

Sounds like yah got some goods plans laid out. With the economy the way it is down home.....yah might not want to drive back TBLOOMA.....the allagash...good times huh!? I grew up in Millinocket and the "big county" too. All us county boys came down your way for the construction jobs. We worked like migrants......so we got jobs pretty easy. I used to rent a house down your way on Highland Lake out in Windham. I used to kayak fish little sebago but missed the "country" up north so moved back up north just before I came up here to AK. Where are you guys from??

Default Mainah!!!

I know that highland lake well, had 2 buddies with places on the small lake. Grew up in raymond on sebago, lived right next to the ferry to frye island. Went to high school at westbrook high(Dad was employed at S.D. Warren, he wanted to keep an eye on his kids!!)

We all need to get toegther sometime and razz the crap out of my wife, shes from Jersey, and we ALL know about jersey girls!!

I'll be working the week of the 20-24th but will be home on the 24th and will be ready to play for sure!! Dad comes up on the 30th for 3 weeks of fishing. We'll be hitting the yetna clear water streams for silvers once he is here!! Got a 20' jet boat will travel to fish!!

THREECAR
    If you make it onto the Kenai Penninsula remember that Seward has lots of fish to kill. The most cost effective way to see a lot of the state is with a motorhome or camper. That saves the cost of hotels, B & B's plus the hassle of have to meet commitments made by reservations. You can stay where you want longer if you like what you see, kinda free spirit the trip

I spent a few summers being "sent away to camp" in Me on Dyer Island just off of Milbridge. Originally from MA, but up here since 79. you might not want to go back "down east" after you are done

Hey, I'm from Maine too. As a matter of fact I know that Red Headed step child TBlooma. What a pissa!

Bring lobstah rolls !!!!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Stop by Kendall Toyota when you get to town. There is three of us working there from the Calais area. We take our fishin seriously deah! Just ask for the guys from Maine and we will point you in the right direction. As potbuilder said and I will take it further, brings some bugs, steamahs, and some moxie and the info will roll right off of our buttahed tongues bub.

Default Yah guys just pop out the woodwork!

Don't bring any ship yahd ale though.....bad memories! Ptarmigan....I hit up kendall on occasion to get my black yota fixed.....it's the one that has a **** green ol town canoe on it 3/4 of the year! Yeah.....that "extended warranty"........i might have warmed out my welcome.....or so i thought! Calias huh? Potbuilder.....I have a buddy from down n Tenant's Harbah/ Port Clyde that would ship lobstah on dry ice fah dirt cheap. I was just home in Millinocket a couple weeks ago, and in Bangor too. My town is so darn puny nowadays.....with the papah mill shut down.....everybody is movin out and the flat landahs are buyin up all the homes for vacation into Baxtah and Allagash.

Thanks for the replies gang, I'm feeling more at home here already .
    We are from the mid-coast area. I'll be out trolling tomorrow, lake trout and landlocks will be the target.

Default Wow!

I never knew there were so many of us up here. Grew up in Dover-Foxcroft, got out at 22 yoa and never looked back. Threecar, the folks that have visited me from Maine cannot stop talking about the fishing, it will ruin you from catching smallmouths, 6" brookies or sunfish. Spent my time growing up on Sebec Lake mostly but made many runs to Moosehead to fish. Sounds like your doing your homework and will have resident guides to help. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Jon,

Four days and counting, you must be some old excited! Good luck getting any sleep the night before.

I'm looking forward to the stories and pictures you'll have. Good luck too with the fishes and catch 'em up.

- Jay

ps. are you bringing the lobstah roll fixins'?

With price of shedders right now (around $3.50 lb), I could probably swing a few crates for the gang .
    Yeah, I'm pretty wound up.
    Ptarmigan- I'll try to swing by and introduce myself middle of next week. I'm picking up some wheels in Wasilla on Wednesday. Then off to the toy store to load up on flies, pixies, vibrax, ect. Oh, and Pepper spray
    Sounds like the Little Su may be coming to life ??

How are the stream levels, I've noticed you folks have had a fair amount of rain lately?

Jay, do you post on any of our local fishing forums ?

We will be headed down the Kenai Penn. at some point, and hope to fish the Anchor and Kasilof rivers. I have no hard plans, we will just see what happens when we get there.

Thanks again for all the replies !!