Thread: Main Bay Questions

Question Main Bay Questions

I was thinking about heading down to Main Bay this weekend and had a couple questions. Do the seiners completely cover the mouth of the bay? Is there usually a way in without interfereing with their process? What about the gillnetters inside the bay? Are the gill nets easilly identified? What are the hazards?

This is my rookie run into Main Bay for reds, so I figure I should study up a bit.

Thanks all,

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Looks like there is an opener this weekend, It will be a mess and not worth fishing.
    I have a friend that has a set net permit and fishes in Main bay, I have been in there during a full blown opener and it is a Mad house. You can work your way around the nets but it is slow going and a little nerve racking. Good luck if you try.
    Also a good thread in fishing on this. PWS Main Bay Red Salmon
    Dave
    Last edited by Muskie; 06-18-2009 at 12:18. Reason: added

I grew up fishing in Main Bay, and I can see how it can be tough if you're not familiar with it. The commercial fleet does frown on sport/personal catch as there's a tax/percentage of their catch that goes to PWSSAC to pay for operations. Also the Seiners are merely cost recovery for hatchery operations as well, and usually only occur at the head of the bay. But the drift and set gillnets are throughout the district.

However with the current Coghill run, it's very unusual for ADF&G to open "Main Bay Only" or only the Main Bay Subdistrict, but rather the entire Eshamy district, or at least north of Crafton Island. This makes the volume of gear inside Main Bay much less.

You can read the ADF&G announcements online from their website. They're usually updated Weds and Saturday.

Regardless, be safe and have fun!

If you're looking for a closer in spot with some fish, try the large bay on the S end of Perry Island. There are rockfish around the pinnacles, it shouldn't be a problem to limit out with some effort. Also the S end of Culross Island can produce a halibut or two. Fishing tends to be slow, but some nice fish are taken there on occasion.

Default Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you're looking for a closer in spot with some fish, try the large bay on the S end of Perry Island. There are rockfish around the pinnacles, it shouldn't be a problem to limit out with some effort. Also the S end of Culross Island can produce a halibut or two. Fishing tends to be slow, but some nice fish are taken there on occasion.
    Had my heart set on reds. I've got my white fish and shrimp. Salmon is all I need to finish the year.
    how to act in public

Default Opener Yuck

if there is a opener I wouldn't go near Main Bay. I did one year and before I knew it was in the middle of them. It was horrible dodging them from the beach to 5 miles out and 5 miles on either side.

Wink Sounds Like

it's not worth it. I'll steer clear till a closure. Thanks for the input guys. i appreciate it.
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    if there is a opener I wouldn't go near Main Bay. I did one year and before I knew it was in the middle of them. It was horrible dodging them from the beach to 5 miles out and 5 miles on either side.
    We can only gillnet from the beach to 1 mile offshore.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yesterday and the day before, there were guys gillnetting way more than a mile offshore. I was dodging gillnets way out in the open water.

Default Plugged.

They pretty much had Culross plugged at the western end on Saturday night. Staggered though so that you could make it through easily enough. I wouldn't have wanted to enter main bay.