Thread: Only an ol trapper could answer this question: What tree in AK makes good snowshoes?

Default Only an ol trapper could answer this question: What tree in AK makes good snowshoes?

I've been pondering this question for sometime now as I am going to start making traditional snowshoes again. I don't have the good brown ash that we used back on the east coast. What trees here in AK make good pliable splints for bending up shoe frames? I'm hoping whatever wood is recommended will have similiar rugged qualities of a splint of brown ash.

Default I think

It would be a young birch. I have also seen where black spruce could bend easily.

Northway is correct....

The Teslin snowshoes and freight canoes were very popular in the Yukon and the Teslin snowshoes I have seen were all made of birch.

I believe it's usually hand split young birch saplings.

I have two pair of handmade ash snowshoes a friend made for me in MN years ago....if you get up in the area you might want to look at them for ideas.....one pair is 7 feet long.

Vern

my 80 yr old father in law still makes them for the grand kids out of birch along with and occasional sled. Like mentioned above young, straight and look for nice smooth white bark not the ones with heavy bark that are peeling in thick layers or with limbs rotted off on them.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

......R.E.I.