Thread: Salmon Rod

Default Salmon Rod

So I'll be doing more salmon fishing this year, and the heaviest rod I have is a 7wt.

I'm going to be upgrading, so do you think a 9wt would be sufficient? I'd definately like to tarket some Kings, so I want a strong enough rod.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks!

I use an 8 wt on silvers, reds, and chums, and a 10 on kings.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I use an 8 wt on silvers, reds, and chums, and a 10 on kings.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Default 8wt

I also like an 8wt for reds, silvers and chums. I use a TFO TICR 9ft 8wt, and have been very happy with it. Great casting, handles casting heavy flies/lead pretty well, low price, and a no fault lifetime warranty. Hard to go wrong with TFO.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

It all depends on the size of King you are targeting and the water type you are fishing. A 9wt would be decent for stillwater fish to about 20-25lbs, but if they get bigger, or you are fishing flowing water, you want a 10wt.

8-10wt range is probably best. The tighter the quarters the bigger the rod, if you are all alone you can get away with something smaller.

I personally do not like the TFO rods, I had two and ended up returning both of them after using their warranties twice each to replace them when they snapped, Ive heard a lot of similar things from some good friends of mine.

Thumbs up depends on which TFO

I agree the cheaper TFO is crap. Broke mine (10 wt) 3 times. 2 on kings fishing in Michigan and the first time on a 12" Dolly in the Nushagach (sp?).
    However, I bought the Ticr 8 wt. and in the past 5 yrs I landed well over 200 Kenai river sockeye and it is still good a new.

Mine were the Ticrx rods. I took them back and got some low level Sages (a couple launches), they only cost about 20 bucks more anyway.