Thread: Cabin kits / builders

Default Cabin kits / builders

I have a couple of years before I retire from my current job. I have hunted and fished in several places in Alska and love it up there. I think Tok is where I want to live for awhile. I have found several propertys I plan to look at in August. How much does a well cost to drill? I may just do a dry cabin. Also I only want a small cabin 16 X 20 who would be a good Contact for a builder? Is it better to try and find something already built?
    Thanks

hmm...lots of variables. How much a well costs depends on many factors. The current rate is over 32 dollars/ft now(in my area). of course the total will depend on the depth. Ask the locals in proximity to your property...well drillers keep logs. Water depth, type of material for waste system are two questions that should always be asked prior to purchasing a building site.
    As for a cabin ...I'm sure you understand all the variables there as well. If there is a contractor in the area it would probably be as "cheap" to build it on site...depending upon availability of power and access. Moving a prebuilt has limitations also. Tok probably has a chamber of commerce...good place to start. If not..try calling a local store or other business and pump them for info. I have a connection online in another forum that might give me some other ideas. I'm not that familiar with Tok.

Default Try Friesens for cabin

For building a cabin try Friesens Custom cabins,you can google it.He built my cabin which is remote & flew in or snomachined all the material outto the site.He's a straight up guy & builds all over the state.If you have road access to the property the prices on his website are pretty accurate,if you have to fly or boat in it costs more.My cabin is a 2 story 16x20 7 I'm very satisfied. Good luck!!
    Buzzy

Default Thanks

Thanks For the Info I plan on travaling late August to look at some lots. If I make a purchase I will have allot more questions.

The wells in Tok avg. about 90'. Call Pines Sawmill for your logs. ( George Pine)

Hi, If you are looking for an awesome log kit try Logging and Milling. they do a lot of work in Tok and their logs are grooved for a tight fit. all notches are also machined for a very tight fil. Logging & Milling | Custom Log Homes. As for wells here in Delta the cost is 52 dollars a ft. I am drilling a well soon here and have to go about 120 ft. Hope this helps ya.

Default Looking for a contractor

Give Steve at Birch Mountain Builders a call or check out his web site he does not hire out subs, does it himself so job is done right, great to work with. www.birchmtnbuilder.com

Looks like he should "sub" out his webpage managment.
    Last edited by mics_54; 06-23-2009 at 11:00. Reason: forgot to add the smile :)

Default Darn memory

I forgot the s, www.birchmtnbuilders.com, sorry but he's worth it.

Curdog I have also been looking at Tok as a place to move(like you in about 22 months). Done alot of research on the place. I have even spoken to a local there, refered to me by his sister on another forum. As to land there I'm told it's all pertty much alike around Tok. Small layer of moss and silt then gravel. He told me his well was 47' with a 60' casing. So it's a 60' well cost. $32 a foot is the pricing I'm hereing. There is a long
    list(about 12) of builders in Tok. They do have a chamber of commerce. Madge was the lady I spoke to there. Just goggle Tok AK and you will find out alot. So where is the property your looking at. I've been looking in Eagle Sub. about 10 miles west of Tok. I don't have the resorces to make a trip up just to look at land. Need all our income just to get there and build. Maybe you would be able to give your advice on the area.

I have looked at some property's on this site http://www.ruralalaskarealestate.com/list/b4l4mackenzie.htm
    and some lots on the over the counter land sale at http://www.mhtrustland.org/index.cfm I just want to check out the area and make sure this is where I want to be. I retired from the Navy and traveled all my life. I have a farm in Virginia (to many people here) and I have ichy feet. Alaska is the best place I have ever been. I like the people and country. I hope we find what we are looking for.