Thread: Kodiak Island

Default Kodiak Island

Well I finally made it! Anyways...I have to head over to Kodiak for some business and I have about 5 hours of down time. I will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Is it worth taking a fly rod with me? I wont have a car so I will be hoofing it and I don't feel like taking my waders along. (looking for trout)

Default kodiak

i just got back, with out a veh you cant walk to anything in town.their are some local ponds you can cab to,but they aint cheap.good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Well I finally made it! Anyways...I have to head over to Kodiak for some business and I have about 5 hours of down time. I will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Is it worth taking a fly rod with me? I wont have a car so I will be hoofing it and I don't feel like taking my waders along. (looking for trout)
    I fished for Dollys on the Buskin (3 min walk from airport) for a couple hours before my flight out last September. I waded wet (barefoot, actually) and it was um... a bit chilly.

Scott

Did you catch any?

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Did you catch any?
    Shideaps of em'. Maybe a fish every three casts? Quartering a wet fly did the trick. Most were 8-12 inches, occasionally one to 15", and I saw bigger, more finicky fish as well.

Scott

guess I will bring a rod and some flies with me....

I'd recommend giving Cy's or Mack's a call as well. Dollys are anadromous, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know just where they are right now on Kodiak - saltwater or fresh.

Regards,
    Scott

Mission beach is about 30 min walk from the harbor. Plenty of dollys there.
    It is about a 30 second walk from my house so i fish there often.