Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown bear vs. Brown bear???

Default Brown bear vs. Brown bear???

I heard a story where an adult bear went up against another adult brownie and knocked the head off the other with one swipe. I say it's possible, but my hunting guru buddy says that's a load of squirrel turd.

can a brown bear swipe literally knock another brown bear's head off?? I mean off, rolled and separated from the rest of the body.

I got lunch on the line says it's true. Need some help! anyone got any video or real life experience?

Well....I'd have to say No.

I mean a bears 'toughness' goes both ways..sure they can dish out one hell of a punch, but, I'd imagine they don't have a glass jaw either...or head for that matter...Know what I mean?

Default Righhhht

I'm gettin' lunch.

100% No Way, NOT Possible. One evidence is boars are the number one cause of death for cubs. We find lots of partly eaten cubs with the head still attached. Another is some Zoo's might have 15 Brown Bears in one enclosure, and they all still have their head every morning.

what do you want for lunch yog? bear skull souP? I'd figure if a boar swiped at a cub, it'd probably just sever it in half, fold it up and make a sandwich.

Smile well...

Humans yes, bears no...kinda makes ya feel warm and fuzzy....

Not likely Frog, you're on the short end of this one.

Yogi - steak and lobster on your lunch menu?

Default No

It would have to be severed with a sharp object with bear like force. Just a slap with claws.......No.

There is just too much muscle and strong spinal connective tissue. Not to mention the neck skin is thick and built for combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    I heard a story where an adult bear went up against another adult brownie and knocked the head off the other with one swipe. I say it's possible, but my hunting guru buddy says that's a load of squirrel turd.

can a brown bear swipe literally knock another brown bear's head off?? I mean off, rolled and separated from the rest of the body.

I got lunch on the line says it's true. Need some help! anyone got any video or real life experience?
    If the bear receiving the blow had been dead long enough and was rotten enough, maybe. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit and pay up.

Consider this. Ever watch calf roping? The calves are running full tilt when they hit the end of the rope and it doesn't hurt them a bit. Yet a bear can snap its neck or crush its skull with one swat. Talking lots of power there. And I aint never seen a calf with it's head severed by the bear swat. A full-sized adult bear? In a pig's rearmost eye.

Break a neck yes,knock head off no

It's hard enough with a very sharp knife, AFTER removing the hide!

Default paw swipe

I heard they circled each other, the brownie waited until blackie's head was next to a tree trunk and bang..smacked it against the tree trunk killing him. Then there is a seperate story about decapitating a cow with a swipe....sounds false, but stranger things have happened.
    Shouldn't the thread read brown vs black?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

There is just too much muscle and strong spinal connective tissue. Not to mention the neck skin is thick and built for combat.
    My thought also.

Let us know how lunch was

Default 5X=studly

QUESTION: "Cats are amazingly strong for their size however bears are around 5 times as strong as a cat of similar size. For example a 2000lb Polar bear can crush the skull of a beluga with ease whilst a tiger would not be able to even if it did reach such a massive size.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspec...strength-1.htm
    When I lived in wyoming cougars (average 85-120#) would kill horses and elk two ways. 1 was bite through the top of their cranium, the other was land on the base of their necks and break their necks with brute strength. NOw think 5X that!

Not gonna happen my friend!

Talking Samurai Bear!...

It could happen.
    It could happen if your brown bear (the one that is going to be the winner) was a very skilled Samurai Sword Warrior Brown Bear.

Seriously, how do discussions like this ever start?

Dennis
    AKTAGS

Default surgical

Sometimes I can Bear-ly get ones head off using one of these ....

I'm losing...........

part of me wants to think that it's possible...just makes the animal that much more....uh...animal?? Right...I'm losing......

Quote Originally Posted by nickelstick View Post
    QUESTION: "Cats are amazingly strong for their size however bears are around 5 times as strong as a cat of similar size. For example a 2000lb Polar bear can crush the skull of a beluga with ease whilst a tiger would not be able to even if it did reach such a massive size.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspec...strength-1.htm
    When I lived in wyoming cougars (average 85-120#) would kill horses and elk two ways. 1 was bite through the top of their cranium, the other was land on the base of their necks and break their necks with brute strength. NOw think 5X that!
    Dude, you are quoting an "all experts" internet flame war based on Russian math models. This is a worse source than wikipedia.

Having handled Beluga skulls I doubt that even if a 2000 pound Polar bear existed it could crush their skulls.

In 2007 I got to check out a 2 to 3 year old brown bear killed by another bear. Head still in place and not a lot of blood, so we were guessing that it died from a broken neck or internal injuries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast