Thread: Anchor,Deep Cr,Ninilchik River

Default Anchor,Deep Cr,Ninilchik River

Hello here,

so I did plan my trip to Alaska. Can you give some addvice for these rivers? I will be there the last week of July. What river will be my best bet? Thanks for any info.

Thanks Zee

Default Plan on trout fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman View Post
    Hello here,

so I did plan my trip to Alaska. Can you give some addvice for these rivers? I will be there the last week of July. What river will be my best bet? Thanks for any info.

Thanks Zee
    I suppose that you will be targeting dollies and rainbows... Chinook will be open on the Ninilchik, but will be ripe spawning pumkins.... I would advice bead that look like king eggs for trout.... There will be a few silvers around, but it is really two weeks early for alot of them. Lower,Middle, and Upper Kenai will be awsome for reds and trout will be fair.

Default Terrific wadable access...

on all 3 streams. Anchor is my favorite. Ninilchik and Deep Creek I've only fished below the bridges and a mile or so upstream, and later in the year during the Fall steelhead runs. I favor Deep Creek - but both have holes worth exploring.

The first bend below the bridge at Deep Creek has a long gravel bar worth spending time on. Dollies like the bottom of the riffle and there's a hole further out that steelhead sit in. Upstream, pick your crossings carefully. I carry a wading staff when fishing alone. The water is deep enough and strong enough to warrant care.

All my time on the Anchor has been Sept-Oct fishing. This river is a fly fisherman's dream IMO. Worth visiting/fishing just to get acquainted. You might be back one day . There are plenty of Dollies in the river though, no doubt chasing salmon eggs as Tynmon describes. When I fish beads, I favor apricot, apricot-swirl or frosted red, usually 6mm beads, but I've had good luck with glo-bugs and leeches there (for steelhead) and always pick up a few Dollies.

I mostly hike upstream on the Anchor, working holes and scouting. Almost always, a spot that looks good IS good, but might take persistence. Holes downstream from the bridge are well-known. There's even a map - and they see the most traffic.

Have a great trip.

Zee, personally I would not waste time going down to fish those streams at the time of year you will be there. Pinks and a few dollies will be around, but it's too early for good silver or steelie fishing. You'd be giving up valuable fishing time when other places are fishing much better. For your time frame, stay on the Parks HWY streams (Montana, Willow, etc) and the Kenai streams (Kenai, Russian, etc).

Thank you guys for good advice. At least I'll take a look anyway.
    Thanks Zee.

P.S Bob when are you going? Next year I have to go with you and chase the Silvers and Steelheads.