Thread: Glock 20 Disappointment

Default Glock 20 Disappointment

I went to the range today with the Marlin GG, XD45, and Glock 20 to burn some powder. After testing some 45/70 loads I loaded up my new G20. My Glock has a LW standard length barrel, and LW ss guide rod with stock spring. Ammo was Buffalo Bore 200gr. FMJ, a box of 20, it was the only ammo I could find around town. First pull of the trigger the glock went bang, but it failed to chamber the next round. It got hung up on the ramp. This happened 7 times in a row.

This sound like a problem with the barrel to me or do I need a different recoil spring?

Do you still have the stock parts? If so, put them back in and give it another try, that'd be an easy way to tell if its the new parts or the ammo.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I thought about that, and do have the stock parts. I was kicking myself at the range for not having the original parts with me. I need more ammo before I do anymore range trips with the G20 and was hoping some could shed some insist before I waste more, practically impossible to find, 10mm ammo. Snowwolfe was nice enough to hook me up with some brass, and if I could find some bullets I will roll my own.

BB is pricey test ammo. I'm not familiar with your aftermarket barrel but swapping back would be the first thing to try. I have a new SF G20 and no ammo to test. I have brass but my carbide sizing die is broken, the carbide ring came unglued ! I'd hate to pay $1.90 per round to test that ammo but I may take out a second mortgage on the house and buy a box of the BB ammo from Frontier Outfitters this week end to see if the unmodified Glock likes it.

Why the switch in barrels? What advantage did you expect to gain, just the stainless edge? Have you shot this barrel with any other ammo?

I also have some bullets, if I haven't shipped them out of state. I'll check to nite to make sure. They would be various jacketed from 135 grain to 180 grain I think.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

FWIW, I also have a newer G20 SF. It is all "stock" and I have fired a couple hundred rounds through it without a single hicup. I have fired 165s, several flavors of 180s, and 2 flavors of 200. Intersestingly, I have not found 10mm ammo hard to find ($30ish per 50). However, getting the rounds I want is. Therefore, I ordered a few hundred rounds of D-Tap a couple months ago. All feeds well so far. I'm paying attention here because I will be changing barrels some to shoot the hardcasts.

Murphy, the LW is the Lone Wolf brand. Surely you have heard of them. I've read good things about these barrels and they are priced right, so I placed my order and dropped it in the G20.

The main reason for the new barrel was to have the ability to shoot lead bullets. Also, I have read the stock barrel will cause Glock smilies and render the brass useless. Those were the main reasons. This is my first Glock and I have no idea if these problems are founded or urban legends. So I bought the new barrel to avoid these potential problems.

That was my first range session with the Glock otherwise it was unfired. The only 10mm ammo I can find anywhere is the BB and still have one more box that I will probably test with the stock barrell. Instead of buying more of the BB I'm going to try and find some hardcart bullets and load my own. If I could find a couple hundred Beartooth .401" 200gr. WFNGC Hardcast bullets that would sure make my day.

New Glock barrels have plenty of support. Shooting lead thru stock barrel, that's another myth I find hard to swallow because I've shot 20-30 thousands lead bullets thru my G22 with the stock barrel. The key is I think is to keep the barrel clean of lead deposit. I don't think you would shoot enough of 10mm thru the stock barrel in an outing to have any major concerns given the price of 10mm ammo. Remember also that Glock does not recommend shooting reloads through their guns. I am sure millions of reloads have gone down their barrels though. I am willing to bet a soda that the factory barrel would function just fine with the Buffalo Bore loads. KISS...the G20 is a fine gun.

BTW, Double Tap will ship to Alaska.

Did this occur with fully-loaded magazines? Sometimes brand new Glock mags, escpecially in 10mm and .45 will only function when down-loaded a round or two. Some of my Glock 36 mags will function perfectly fully-loaded, and some of them have to be down-loaded to nine rounds for the slide to move freely enough to lock into battery on the second shot. Just a thought.
    good luck,
    -Jay

Yes the mag was loaded to the till when the bullets were hanging up on the ramp. When I loaded the mag with only 5 rounds it fed those just fine. Any cure for this, or is it just a matter of spending more time at the range to break in the gun? I would have never imagined a Glock would need to loosen up before it ate whatever it's fed.

Sounds to me like a combo of rough feed ramp, and new mags.

I'd very your loads, try and find some 175 grain silvertips, thats about the only store bought ammo I fed my 10mm's.

double tap makes some very excellent ammo. But can be pricey/hard to get in AK.

Default Gremlin

I am in Fairbanks for the weekend, but when I get back I'll shoot you a PM. I have DT's as well as a bunch of other 10mm that I shoot out of my 20 and will give you a handfull to try for next time your out.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Need to try the original barrel before making any decisions. Maybe try a new LW barrel or machining/polishing the existing one. I have not heard/read anything derogatory about the LW barrels. I can't understand shooting a magazine that is only half full just for the sake of the chamber feeding. Very poor compromise IMO. Why buy a pistol large enough to hold/shoot 15 rounds then? Try the stock barrel and please keep us posted.

Default 10mm

I purchased a LW barrel for my G20, mainly so I could shoot cast bullets. When I first shot with the new barrel, I had 'issues' with the rounds not going into full battery. I contacted LW and was advised to send them the barrel and three dummy rounds for the bullets that I was loading. After I received the barrel back I shot it some more and no more problems feeding or going into full lock up. Guess that their chambers are a little tight. I am shooting Laser Cast 180 gr bullets ahead of 9.8 grs of blue dot. Still want to play with some loads but so far I have been happy with the LW barrel.
    Have you contacted LW to see what they have to say? Hope that things work out.
    I carry my G20 anytime I am out in the woods or riding our four wheelers. I may not be the 'perfect' gun but I like it.

I just shot my 6" lone wolf barrel today, I was pretty impressed. I didn't have any issues with it and it was very accurate. I was getting 1280fps for the BB 200 gr FMJ load and 975 with some 220gr cast loads I had loaded. It was a starter load but shot so nice and mild that I probably won't change it any. I think I'm going to stick with 200gr FMJ for full power loads, the BB looks to use the 200gr montana gold bullet and they shoot very good out of my pistol. My buddy had some that he had loaded up for his glock 20 and they chronied at over 1300fps.

Default ammo avail.

WG,
    I have an extra box of HSM 180grs that I could let you ues if needed. I got them from Wild West & they shoot great out of my G29 sf. Mt View sports had the 200gr blazers as well but I didn't like them much.
    Also Akstarabout is trying to put together a group buy from Double tap if you are interested.

Let me know if you want to try the HSM's