Thread: PWS Main Bay Red Salmon

Default PWS Main Bay Red Salmon

Has anyone been into Main bay to check into the red salmon fishing?
    I have read a lot about catching fish in that bay and have never been there. It's my plan to run over there as soon as the fish are there in good numbers. What's the normal time frame?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Stopped in there 2 days ago. Some gill/setnetters are there, but I dont think the fish are in great numbers yet. Didnt spend alot of time looking for fish though. Guessing another week 1/2 or so.

Please be careful of gillnets when running around that area, The district goes from the Nellie Juan light all the way down to Granite Point and from the beach to 1 mile offshore, inside all the bays is also open for the gillnetters. Please just slow down and watch out for the corklines and buoys.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Here's the scoop from yesterday's com fish announcement:

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District excluding the AGZ will open to commercial drift and set gillnet harvest for an 84-hour period from 8:00 am on Thursday, June 18 until 8:00 pm on Sunday, June 21. The AGZ will open to set gillnet gear only during this time. Harvest from the period that ended Sunday, June 14 was 15,517 sockeye and 10,907 chum salmon with 243 deliveries reported with a cumulative harvest of 22,875 sockeye as of this date. The anticipated cumulative sockeye harvest for Sunday, June 14 is 5,027 fish.

Sounds like they're ahead of their expected harvest by a considerable amount so far. Commercial fishing opened this morning thru Sunday night, so it will probably get a little scratchy after the initial buildup is caught, unless a significant shot of fish move in.

Steve, do you know if PWSAC is doing any of their cost recovery from Main Bay reds? It doesn't look like it based on how much regular fishing they've had in there so far.

in case you don't know an AGZ opener means there will be absolutely no room whatsoever to sport fish as 100% of the bay will have nets.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default south

is this just for Eshamy - Coghill???

Thinking looking further south for them. I haven't looked for maps of the comercial areas...guess I should.

Default Not what F&G says

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    in case you don't know an AGZ opener means there will be absolutely no room whatsoever to sport fish as 100% of the bay will have nets.
    The set nettters that alternate with the drifters are just in a few acres at the head of the bay.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Bulelkklr: yes, that was just for Eshamy/Main Bay. The full announcement can be found here:
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ies=400&num=13

Looks like the Coghill district is open thru Sunday evening, too. Not sure about the exact boundaries. But I guess with Eshamy, Coghill and Unakwik all being open for the drifters at the same time, the boats should be spread out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Bulelkklr: yes, that was just for Eshamy/Main Bay. The full announcement can be found here:
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ies=400&num=13

Looks like the Coghill district is open thru Sunday evening, too. Not sure about the exact boundaries. But I guess with Eshamy, Coghill and Unakwik all being open for the drifters at the same time, the boats should be spread out pretty well.
    Here's how its gonna play out
    Most of the fleet will be at/in main bay for the opening clean up, then they will spread out outside of main bay. A few boats will stay at Ester/Coghill and work on the dogs. I'd bet there will be less than 10 boats at Unakwik.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    The set nettters that alternate with the drifters are just in a few acres at the head of the bay.
    Most likely there will be at least one drifter off the end of each setnet and a few more trying to fish between the setnets. It ain't never fun in there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the info Steve...I was trying to find out if there's any "buffer area" at the head of the Bay inside the AGZ where someone might be able to get in and sport fish/snag (weaving thru nets to get there, of course)...but it looks like it goes pretty much right up to the hatcheries front door, doesn't it?

Default me thinks

we will focus on the rockfish, halibuts, and baby lobsta's.

Default Main Bay Will Be a NO GO zone for me

Thanks everyone for the info - I think I will just set this one out and wait
    for a better time.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Thanks for the info Steve...I was trying to find out if there's any "buffer area" at the head of the Bay inside the AGZ where someone might be able to get in and sport fish/snag (weaving thru nets to get there, of course)...but it looks like it goes pretty much right up to the hatcheries front door, doesn't it?
    Right up to the pipe that sucks water into the hatchery

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default june 27th saturday

If I'm planning an outing next saturday, and wanted to find some reds, is this possible?

I'm taking a group of gals out for an easy fishing day (most of them haven't fished before).

Here's my question: Are the commercial openers typically thursday and sundays at coghill or main bay? so Saturday would be good to go?

is there a consistant place for RF or just look for structure?

any tips would be appreciated.

AGZ....the "Anything Goes Zone!" Time to rodeo!

Sometime someone should video (for entertainment purposes) an AGZ drift opener when there are tons of fish up to the ladder, put it to music, and upload it to youtube.

It's great when some guys stack their nets on the cabin (for a bowpicker) and set the net going forward. Then roundhaul 20,000lbs at $2.50/lb...

What the heck is an AGZ opener?