Thread: lamiglass?

Default lamiglass?

Anyone use a Lamiglass fly rod? What do you think of them. 4wt stuff
    Thanks

I've built a number of rods on their Perigee blanks, both 2 and 3 piece ranging from 9' - 9.5' and 5/6 to 9/10 weight. All were nice to fish and I would say they are medium/fast action although they call them fast. Nice deep green color with gold flake. I've sold most of them, but do have a blank and one finished rod with a nickle silver reel seat, cocobolo insert and feather inlay.

Not sure about their light stuff, but I know they 8-10 weight gear is great for flipping for reds. I actually prefer them to my expenive Sage or TFO rods...with a lightweight rod, go with Reddington, I love mine...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Expensive rods where not meant to huck large amounts of lead.......

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Not sure about their light stuff, but I know they 8-10 weight gear is great for flipping for reds. I actually prefer them to my expenive Sage or TFO rods...with a lightweight rod, go with Reddington, I love mine...

Fish On!
    Lamiglass action flyrods are great for fly gear hucking large amounts of weight... They have very similiar action to a drift or spin rod, not a fly rod.... If you are going to do the kenai flip Lamiglass is your rod.... Use the real fly rods for casting fly lines not lead...... (FYI TFO is not a expensive fly rod, but they are very very nice for the $).

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Lamiglass action flyrods are great for fly gear hucking large amounts of weight... They have very similiar action to a drift or spin rod, not a fly rod.... If you are going to do the kenai flip Lamiglass is your rod.... Use the real fly rods for casting fly lines not lead...... (FYI TFO is not a expensive fly rod, but they are very very nice for the $).
    Ditto....yeah yeah I own the most expensive TFO rod and it still doesn't cost as much as my cheapest Sage Rod. Lamiglass is great for flip, I will not argue that one...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I have a few expensive rods. I like them. I also have a Lamiglas G-1000 rod. I wouldn't let it go without a fight. If you want to buy a fancy vest and the proper hat to look like you stepped out of an Orvis catalog, for heaven's sake buy an expensive rod. if you just want to catch fish? A good fisherman can do that with ANY rod. A Lami will serve you very well.

Default Missed the point there Pid Daddy......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I have a few expensive rods. I like them. I also have a Lamiglas G-1000 rod. I wouldn't let it go without a fight. If you want to buy a fancy vest and the proper hat to look like you stepped out of an Orvis catalog, for heaven's sake buy an expensive rod. if you just want to catch fish? A good fisherman can do that with ANY rod. A Lami will serve you very well.
    This was a conversation about rod performance... Hardly a rod snob here... But most guys that understand fly casting w/ a fly line as opposed to a 1/2 oz of lead will testify that rod action for a fly rod is very important for casting... TFO is a chaper fly rod then a Lamiglass and it will cast cirlces around any of Lamiglass models... They are terminal rod blanks tied w/ fly components. There are many other low budget rods that cast a fly line extreemly well, I just happen to think that Lamaglass is not one of them.... Loomis is a good rod manufacture too, but I feel that many of there rods are over priced for the performance.... Of course there are many awsome casting upper end fly rods that are probably overpriced, but they all are casting and fish catching machines...... Of course for the Kenai Flip... Casting is not really important... However, there are many fisheries in the state where being able to throw a nice tight loop has it's benifits.

Not a very big fan of Lamiglass. We own 3-4 of there 10 weights that we use for flipping and every year we manage to break at least 2 on the Russian or Kenai. Last couple of years we been using the 10 wts that Cabelas puts out and so far no broken rods.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    This was a conversation about rod performance... Hardly a rod snob here...
    I'm glad you straightened that out. The original question was "Anyone use a Lamiglass fly rod? What do you think of them." My Lamiglas fly rod performs well. I like it. It isn't my best rod, but it isn't the most expensive, either. It has it's place.

Sometimes using some lead is necessary. Sometimes it isn't. I do what it takes to catch fish. Nobody takes pictures of tight loops.

Default Lamiglas Rods

I have a Lamiglas eight weight rod (G12988) that I purchased at the Sportsman's Show a few years ago that works very well for sockeye on the Russian.

Lamiglas produces many of the blanks that the premier modern day fiberglass rod makers use (built to their own specifications) to build their rods. If you are looking for a four weight Lamiglas fly rod I think I would look at their fiberglass blanks built for you. Most of the modern well known builders are listed here: http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/Modern+Rods

I don't think that Lamiglas markets finished fiberglass rods these days, but I purchased a two piece 7'6" four weight Spring Creek rod from them last year that is a nice little fishing rod. It doesn't have the finest components, but it only cost me about $250.

Many part time rod builders use the Lamiglas "Honey" blanks to build rods. http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?id=30

The Lamiglas graphite rods seem to work well for the heavier weight fishing, but I think that for a four weight their fiberglass rods are a lot more fun to fish.

TFO was making a nice little 6'9" 5/6 fiberglass rod. I have one and it is fun to fish. You might be able to still find one of those new rods on the market for about $170.

Thanks for all of the replies.
    Looking for a rod to throw dries at Grayling, med.fast would rather not spend more than 200.

Default Grayling Rod

Quote Originally Posted by WHLSUP View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Looking for a rod to throw dries at Grayling, med.fast would rather not spend more than 200.
    Check the Sportsman's Warehouse up there in Fairbanks and see if they have the Griggs Heritage Series VG-856-5 rod. It is an 8'6" 5/6 weight composite fiberglass/graphite rod that sells for $69.99 with a reel. It is on the faster side for a glass rod so it should be about what you are looking for. I bought one from SW last year and it fished nicely. I saw two of them at the SW in Anchorage a couple of weeks ago, but they had been sold the last time I was there.

SW in Fairbanks also might sell the TFO Finesse rods. A four or five weight in that rod series would be pretty good for grayling for about $170.

You could also find some pretty good used fiberglass rods on Ebay for less than $200. A Fenwick FF705 comes to mind. A Scientific Anglers System 5 rod is a good rod, but might run more than $200 if you can even find one.

Default St. Croix Reign Fly Rods

St. Croix Reign Fly Rods are on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse. I think the lightest I saw was a 5 wt but it is under $100 for a 4 piece.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You can get albright A5 for $140, though their shipping is steep. On the other hand for orders over $125 they throw in one of last years yellowstone rods that they are getting rid of, so it sort of covers the shipping.

For a 3-4wt rod for grayling/trout, I would highly reccomend a TFO finnesse. It's more of a medium action than a medium-fast, and i consider it the best fly rod i own. It is about $180.

Default TFO Professional

Have you looked at the TFO Professional series? I have one in a 5wt, and it is a sweet rod. Med-fast action, great casting rod, and right around 150 dollars. In the lower priced rods, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value than any of the TFO series.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I tried out a Lami XMG-50 my fishin buddy built up. Seemed pretty sweet. Light, med-fast, and purdy. I think Mudhole still has some sale blanks left if you want to try building your own...its easy.

Lamiglas is a great company with fine products...they just don't get much credit from the fly-guys.
    Nice Marmot.

Ive had the same Lamiglas 6 wt. for 10 years. Great rod. I also have a TFO 6 wt. better rod , better action much easier to cast. Also broke arbitrarily after 2 seasons of use, nice thing is if i ever get 25 free dollars theyll replace it !