Thread: china poot reds.... RIP?

Default china poot reds.... RIP?

looks like the cost recovery efforts for china poot reds aren't enough to cover the stocking program... we may not see this fishery for much longer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    looks like the cost recovery efforts for china poot reds aren't enough to cover the stocking program... we may not see this fishery for much longer.
    thats too bad....that fishery has always been on my "to do" list...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so Dave. Man i spent many a times over there dipping and snagging. Too bad, that fishery put alot of red salmon on the table.

Rob

Maybe those people using that resource would be willing to ante up a fee bucks to help offset the costs? Its just a thought, with all the B.O. love goin around - isnt it time we all started paying our fair share instead of looking for a Gubment handout in the form of a terminal fishery and "somewhat" free sockeye run.

Dave - how short are they from recovering? Is there an article somewhere that talks about it?

Default fee proposal for the next BOF Meeting.

I'm seriously thinking of writing a statewide proposal for all dipnetters to pay a $10.00 fee to participate. There would be an exception to low income people. A lousy ten bucks extra to put 45 fish in my smoker and freezer? You betcha. Then we would have to convince fish and game to put it towards the dipnet fisheries, if the legislature would appropriate the money to them. Pretty convoluted eh?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    A lousy ten bucks extra to put 45 fish in my smoker and freezer?
    I think the $10 should apply to anyone and everyone.

I drive by Beans Cafe and see a guy in brand new Carhartts yackin on a Motorola Razr. I've seen first hand people take advantage of the states programs for housing. The household limit with dipnetting is already widely abused. That $10 would help regulate it muich better. Besides, considering the dipnet fisheries being Kenai, Glennallen and the Copper...a person is already spending a few bucks to get there...$10 is nothin.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Unfortunately the writing may be on the wall for the China Poot run. That is a stocked run that is considered a terminal run because there is no way for the fish to return to the lake. This means that the lake has to be stocked every year by the Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association. CIAA has not reached is cost recovery goals for many many years now and has been operation of reserve funding and grants. With the economic state that the country is in they are concerned that the grants may dry up and they are out of reserve funds. They have forecasted the all returning fish will be taken as cost recovery fish. Hopefully they are able to reach their cost recovery goals this year and are able to keep stocking the China Poot run. If not we may all be up the creek. If you are interested in more information give the Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association call at 907-283-5761 or their web site is http://www.ciaanet.org

There is a link to the hatcheries proposal on the BOF web site. I canít get the actuall link to the article because it is a PDF but if you follow this link and click on the January 21st Miscellaneous it will take you there
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/archive/bof/farch.php

This link will take you to the Lower Cook Inlet Fisheries outlook and has projected harvest numbers and such.
    http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/finfish/salmon/lci/lciout09.pdf

I agree maybe it is time for the personal use group to each chip in a little money to support the fishery that we all rely on for our freezer salmon.
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.