Thread: Chums?

Default Chums?

What's the best river for chums on a fly rod within driving distance from Anchorage? What rivers have chums?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    What's the best river for chums on a fly rod within driving distance from Anchorage? What rivers have chums?

Brett
    I would have to say Valley Streams...I saw a ton in there while fishing for Rainbows last year..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default B.C. is spot on

The Valley Streams have ample chums. One of best IMO is Montana Creek at the mouth all the open room to roam and the fish stack at the end of island for some distance that and towards the end of July Silvers mixed int he batches of chums. Lots of room to play the fish. Can be a bit crowded during the weekend however mid week it's a blast.

Tight Lines Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Thank you. I know it varies some, but that's the run timing in the valley? Begining of July, mid July, end of July, August? I've never caught one and figure it would be good sport and maybe a little less crowded.

Brett

The last three years, I've been at Montana in late July to mid-Aug. Absolutely loaded with chums all three times. Crowds were not bad, and you had room to play a little. Broke my 8wt one year, so I pulled out a 6wt. Talk about fun!! Didn't really matter what you had on the end of you leader. We caught them on everything from flash flies to beads to ESL's. If you tie your own, think about an all pink wolly bugger.

Are they aggressive feeders like pinks or they more of a red salmon affair?

Brett

they'll pound a fuschia bunny fly..or sometimes they just grab them and bingo fish on. Have had them chase acrossed pools, what fun! Would love to try wogging for them I'm sure they'll take in a situation like that, tons of visible fish in one area.

Are they aggressive feeders like pinks or they more of a red salmon affair?

Brett
    They are agressive.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

How big are they? I've caught lots of silvers on my 8 weight and a few small 15-20lbs kings, and the ubiquitus pink salmon or two hundred, but I've never caught a chum. Will my 8 weight be fine?

Brett

Default Chums are considered the second largest of five spp of salmon.

How big are they? I've caught lots of silvers on my 8 weight and a few small 15-20lbs kings, and the ubiquitus pink salmon or two hundred, but I've never caught a chum. Will my 8 weight be fine?

Brett
    I think an 8 wt is adequate... For most AK fishing a 6wt is adequate... Other then flyfishing for kings the rod weight should really be determined by the amount of weight used while fishing.

Default Bird Creek

Brett
    We had good luck with chums at Bird Creek last year. If you can make it down on a weekday for a early morning incoming tide, the crowds aren't too bad, and later in the chum run, the silvers should start coming in too. I would not advise fishing Bird Creek on the weekends, or weekday evenings when everyone else is off work, it can get very crowded, very fast. My wife and I tried it one weekend, and it was a zoo.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.