Thread: Someone HAS to know about this rifle!!!

Default Someone HAS to know about this rifle!!!

Picked up a Model 94 Winchester this afternoon. Sort of an oddball, which may be what endeared it to me. Serial number comes up late 1967, so absolutely nothing special about it, except that it's a standard carbine, walnut stock, chambered to .44 Mag.
    Been trying to find a bit of information about the thing, which is in pretty decent shape, though it has been used a bit, with the attendant wear patterns...bore is perfect, and it feeds, chambers and extracts all of my .44 mag loads, as well as .44 Specials like a hog at the trough. Bore appears to have at least eight lands and grooves, and of sufficient depth to handle cast bullets, though it'll take a trip over the bags to make sure...
    It ain't a Marlin. It ain't made of stainless steel, nor laminated stocks, no vented barrel, glow in the dark sights. Couldn't resist. Anyone played with one of these things? Hang onto it, or turn it into tradin' stock?

Pistol caliber carbines are cool as heck in my book and I've been thinking about getting one myself. With that said if it were me I wouild probably sell or trade it to get a Marlin 1894 in the same caliber. My opinion on that comes from the ones exactly like you describe that I have worked on in the shop, when they work they are great, but these days if a Win 94 breaks and it aint a 30-30 you'll probably have hell's own time finding parts for it. We had one in 44 and a 357 that set around the shop for over a month as I called all over the US trying to find parts, but to no avail, sadly the customers just came and picked up their newfound wallhangers.

Whatever you decide have a blast with your new popgun.

Default The closer I look...

I notice that there's an "M" suffix on the serial number, and capital letters "MAG" below the serial number, just ahead of the lever. From what little I've found about it, Big Red produced this rifle 1968-69-70, then stopped the .44 Mag, until 1984 when it was reintroduced. This piece might be a bit scarcer than I thought.
    Inside the rifle, there's a unique lift arm, as well as a stamped steel cartridge guide that extends between the magazine tube and the end of the chamber.
    Serial number definitely comes up 1968 on this one, as per Armscollector's serial number database. Yeah, yeah, I know, right in the middle of the most despised period of Winchester production, but I think fer now that I'll hang onto this one, and pick up a Marlin to go with it. I'm thinking .45 Colt in the Marlin, though...
    This particular Winchester doesn't show a lot of use at all, just handling marks to the exterior. Might have to think long and hard about parting with it.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 06-17-2009 at 20:39. Reason: .

Thumbs up I have one..

Actually my wife does. Mod. 94 Win. with a plain stock and a 20" barrel. Holds 10 of the 280 grain hard cast LBT's. She takes it berry picking and when she hunts with me. So far I have only shot 1 coyote with it. We have had it for many years and like it. I put a receiver sight and big recoil pad on it. It is light weight and fast. We keep it in the bed room since it has proven to be a good "varmit gun".

Pictures???? Sounds interesting.

Pictures would be nice
    Brandon