Thread: E-tech oil leak

Default E-tech oil leak

I just burned the first 15 gallons of fuel through the 90 horse etec and noticed a little oil slick when I stopped to wet a line. I figured residue from changing gear case oil, and a little spillage from the filling of the oil tank. When I popped the cowling to check things over I saw I had used more than 3/4 of the oil-way too much. So I refilled and let it idle while I investigated for leaks. Later I had someone drive while I looked for leaks/loose connections.

The only thing I could find was a loose air box (not real loose) with a lot of oil residue inside and a bunch of oil under it. I'm hoping something is stuck after sitting all winter and will work it's way back, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't really want to take it off and send it to a shop. If any of you guys or gals have any thoughts/ideas let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

Default etec site

A good site for information and help with etecs is
    http://www.etecownersgroup.com
    you may want to search there or post a question relative to your problem

It appears to have a wealth of good information and helpful people from around the world.

I do believe those motors have a built in timer so they burn double the rate of oil for the first ten hours of use. Not 100% certain but think I am correct. This would account for the extra oil being used and seen.
    Tennessee

Default thanks guys

I'll look/join that forum!!! I failed to post that this engine is an '05 and has ran flawlessly until now. It still runs good, but I hate seeing that expensive oil leaking out. Thanks again for the thoughts, and if anyone else has an idea my ears are open!!!

Snowolfe is correct - the first 10 hours (of when the motor is new out of the crate) the EMM (computer onboard the E-Tec) doubles the oiling rate - this is how they get around the "no break-in" claim for the E-Tecs. Sounds like this may not be the issue tho if it's an '05 motor? Any idea how many hours are on it? If you have an I-Command gauge set it'll tell you to the 100th of an hour.

I just made it past about 15 hours on my new E-Tec 175 - and I can state that the rate of oil consumption was a bit freaky at first, but the last trip it *significantly* reduced - so the break-in period must have flagged and it's now in "normal" operation.

I recall reading somewhere that the rate of oil consumption will also start to increase quite a bit as soon as you run above 4000 RPM - haven't confirmed that tho.

There's a setting on the computer that your dealer can fiddle with to specify what weight of Evinrude XD oil to run with - it's set for XD50 out of the crate (lower grade oil, so it utilizes more of it), I set mine to run XD100 exclusively as it has better performance characteristics and a wider operating range for temperature/etc. Costs more, but since it uses much less of it after the programming, I think the cost is a wash.

Found it (I hope) Loose oil line. And a quick word of warning to other e-tec owners the oil lines are only held on by small zip ties. I replaced it with a clamp off my sno-go oiler. I'm happier now, but am going to order some of the better crimping clamps since the only hardware store didn't have anything close to the size I needed.

Thanks for all the input, I hope I can give you guys a hand if you ever need it.