Thread: Floating the Kenai- newbie advice

Default Floating the Kenai- newbie advice

I've inherited a 14' drift boat and want to put it in the Kenai to fish reds next week. I'm thinking Cooper landing to Jim's landing or somewhere down by the Skilak would be a good run. I've heard you need a motor to cross Skilak to the take out, is that true? Where are the normal put in and take outs for drifting the upper Kenai? How do you deal with getting your tow rig down to the take out? How many hours is the run from Cooper to Skilak or Jim's? Thanks

It's about a 7 mile run across Skilak to upper Skilak lake campground. So you'll definitely want a motor. Depending on how much of a float you want to do you can put in at Kenai lake or Sportsmans/ferry crossing and take out at Jims. This 1st run of reds are Russian river fish, so if that's what your targeting, you'll want to put in at Sportsmans. A straight through float from Sportsmans to Jims is about 2 hours, if you put in at Kenai L to Jims is about 4-5 hours. You can call Wildmans for a taxi or stop in at Wildmans in Cooper Landing and set up a shuttle, or you can just hitch hike back up to your rig once your done with your float. It's usually not hard finding someone to give you a ride if you hitch hike, and it's always nice to return the favor.

Default Ex Newbie, but just by 3 trips

Kenai Lake to Russian River 4 hours with a rest stop. Was my first run nice learner. Added a couple hours to Jim's.
    Wildman Store will fairy rig to Jims for $41
    The Kenai Canyon onto Skilac, well haven't done yet but very soon, 5hp Honda on 13'Fishcat, better have a motor or it's 7 miles of rowing.

Default Jim's Landing?

Same as Jean Creek Campground?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Same as Jean Creek Campground?
    Jean creek campground, what the hell are you talking about Leech? Go back to bed, you don't have to be to work for another couple hours.

Default Up to the mountain...

O' esteemed Ak Troutbum, I had to go high on the mountain for this one.

But fortune graced me by a chance meeting with the nomadic elder, Obe-Wan-Steve. He showed me a vision, through the smoke of many fires, of days long ago, (before the 1972 photorevision of the 1950 USGS topo maps), long before the Great River, Kenai, eroded the shores there, when there was a campground at the mouth of Jenn Creek (60deg/28'/55"N, 150deg/06'/51"W, not far below and slightly west of the Skilak Lake Road turnoff). The modern place now called "Jim's Landing" rests among the spirits of that campground. Obe-Wan Steve has spoken.

Default Good advice...

Ak Troutbum knows this river well. I've taken some notes for upcoming Upper Kenai float. Here's what I have:

1. Kenai Lake -this is the boat launch in Cooper Landing. Just before you get there, Wildman's at MP 45 or so has vehicle shuttle service.

2. Landing at Sportsmens, which is also the Russian River Ferry site, is a put-in, take-out option

3. Jim's Landing (approx 60deg 28' 54"N, 150deg 06' 53W on Google Earth) I believe is the site of the old Jean Creek Campground, is the T/O.

Below Jim's, the river runs through the Kenai Canyon; and requires a plan for crossing Skilak Lake (prone to high winds, rough waters in a long stretch with high rocky bluffs all around-not much way to get out of the weather if it acts up) from what I understand.

Good luck.