Thread: Freeze Dried Food

Default Freeze Dried Food

I just found some in my hunting gear from a hunt a few years ago. A couple have the date of 05 on them. Do you think they are still good?

I can't imagine they will "spoil" but the quality may have suffered over time. Personally I would give one a try and likely use them up at home rather than toss them out.

I would not count on them to take into the field though.

I'm sure they are fine if unopened. Mt Houses have an expiration date on them if you look close, but it is a very long time.

Default Good to go err eat that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I just found some in my hunting gear from a hunt a few years ago. A couple have the date of 05 on them. Do you think they are still good?
    We ate MREs over in the kitty litter that were well past their date, years past. The MMs were more white than color, some flavor was lost in the main dish but we all survived. Seems supply wanted to rid our kit of the old before issuing the new.

Try one to see but I would not trust old dated to a hunt, food is cheap compared to......

I make my own freeze dried meals these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 45.308 View Post

I make my own freeze dried meals these days.
    I bet people would be interested in this if you did a write-up and posted it in the "Make it Yourself" section of our site...

I've taken them after they were many years old and frankly haven't been able to tell the difference. For the spring hunt this year I cleaned out/took all the old ones. I know a few were from the 90s.

Smile probably ok...

SInce they all tast lousy you might not notice the difference............

Thumbs up Up to 7 years - Mountain House

Depends on the product so open one to sample before using them on an important trip. Personally I like Mountain House and use them pretty much in most of all our TV shows especially the remote airplane adventures where hauling a bunch of food weight isn’t happening.
    Mountain House = 7 years. I bet they would be fine well beyond that date. But if you’re keeping them that long I think the bigger problem would be DUDE…you need to get out more!

Pouches--7 Year Shelf Life*
    Based on storage studies over several years, in 2006 the shelf life was increased by an impressive 40%, from 5 years to 7 years! That’s right -- our shelf life is at least 7 years from the date of manufacture as long as the pouch is stored unopened in a cool area. After 7 years a change in flavor and appearance may be noticed. For best results, avoid prolonged storage at temperatures above 75° F (24° C).
    *Ice cream products and Organic Fruit Snacks have a 2-year shelf life

http://www.mountainhouse.com/shelf_lif.cfm
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Good info, Tim. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    SInce they all tast lousy you might not notice the difference............
    Hey now, I like the Chili Mac, Spaghetti, and a couple of the chinese dishes, they're not bad! Not a fan of the breakfasts tho.

Here's another good freezdried website.

http://www.freezedriedsurvivalfood.com/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel