Thread: Predator hunting - pics

Default Predator hunting - pics

A couple of pics to get you all in the mood for chasing some predators -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Siding

I thought Tyvek was Alaska's favorite siding, guess I was wrong.

Where was that picture taken.
    Marc Theiler

No fair, mud. I seen that 2nd pic before. That is Marty (can't remember his last name) from southern Alberta. He is a TRAPPER, actually a snareman, who goes after coyotes seriously. I know the guy in the photo has a gun, but those are trapped or snared yotes.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I got both of the pics off of www.predatormasters.com and they mentioned that the barn dogs were a combination of trapped/hunted. Someone guessed that there were about 350 covering the barn. Pretty good photos though.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud,

Shouldn't this be moved to the trapping forum?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    AKmud,

Which half? The half that we're trapped or the half that we're shot?

Hey Allen,

I don't see any blood at all on those animals from gunshot wounds. I've seen these pics before too. I'm pretty sure those coyotes and fox in the first pic were trapped/snared.
    'Twas just a suggestion anyway.

-27 here this morn. River starting to close up finally. Going through the wood pile.
    Best, Mark

Hey Allen,

I don't see any blood at all on those animals from gunshot wounds. I've seen these pics before too. I'm pretty sure those coyotes and fox in the first pic were trapped/snared.

-27 here this morn. River starting to close up finally. Going through the wood pile.
    Best, Mark

Mark for Political Correctness purposes the gun shot entrance holes were placed down so as not to offend the sensitive. Any good pelt hunter that shoots fur bearers will use a bullet that does not exit but explodes inside the animal to do minimal pelt damage.

Glad you have winter up that way. We are still waiting for things to start freezing up here.

AKmud,

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Who cares?

Kinda my thought too... It was just a pic of some dead predators. Makes me anxious to get out and do some calling (hunting).
    AKmud

Default Apparently

The Webmaster & the Mod's care otherwise they wouldn't have posted what they have about relevancy of posts & the correct fourms to post them on...

You guys need to lighten up.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    The Webmaster & the Mod's care otherwise they wouldn't have posted what they have about relevancy of posts & the correct fourms to post them on...

As I stated before, which of those coyotes and fox in the picture get moved too the trapping forum, the half that were trapped or the half that were shot.

I thought I'd let that first suggestion slide, but since people are still talking about this I thought I'd weigh in...

I am one who usually moves things to the correct forum. I don't do it because of the "rules", but because people usually get better responses, both in quantity and quality, when they are in the correct forum. This is especially true for firearms questions.

So, why didn't I move this one? AKmud is obviously itching to go predator hunting. He hasn't run a trapline before (that I'm aware of), but he loves to hunt the critters. Yes, the pictures he posted may include some animals that were trapped. That is not the point of his post, however, so it seems like talking about it here is fair game. It's no different than posting a picture of a moose that I saw while hiking when we're talking about judging antler width. The topic is hunting, even if the origin of the picture may not be.

Awfully early for people to be getting cabin fever....maybe once the lakes freeze over we'll have other things to consume our minds with!

-Brian

If you look close enough at the guy in the top photo you will see a call lanyard around his neck. How many trappers use calls to snare critters.

Default winter

Hey Allen,

Best, Mark

54* here today in the mountains of northern Idaho, Mark. Some are enjoying the lack of winter!

Today the wild turkeys were running around the property, couldnt help but think about one of them being thanksgiving dinner...

SPeaking of predators, buddy called in a nice red yesterday morning already. Headed to delta this friday (one of the few days we have off together throughout the winter) to call in dogs, hopefully the wind won't be howling like last year!!! Makes bowhunting them tuff, we enjoy hunting them but both of us are pretty novice at predator calling, can do it but get mixed results, usually nothing shows so we are still in that searching for the right thing mode, be it setup or call or whathaveyou.

The person in the first photo is Randy Anderson, he has some awesome videos out, remind me of the good out boys out hunting. His first two videos Callin' All Coyotes are awesome, they are on his own before he got hooked up with Primos, he was still able to keep the "Randy" in his videos. Nothing bad, just an old farm boy out hunting. I think his website is callingcoyotes.com or something like that. I will buy all his videos and I am not really into the video thing.

Smile Lynx

Saw a cat yesterday at Meir lake, Can't call them in though until the 10th I think..She was pretty and tall... puffed up keeping warm in the -19 degree temps_
    -25 At Paxson lake lodge this morning @ 7:00 am
    Bob took his Caribou @ 8:30 am north of Summit lake.
    nice little eater bull.
    had it loaded and headed back for the Kenai by 9:30 am
    pulled into my driveway @ 6:15 pm...
    I wish someone would buy Paxson lake lodge. They have it up for sale. they are tired and worn out. the place is showing serious signs of the mentioned. We wanted to stay at Meir lake lodge, but no rooms in the Inn.. Plenty of rooms at Paxson lake lodge,,,huh?
    Talked to Chet (owner of Paxson lake lodge) for a while about him having the place up for sale. His kids don't want it, so he needs to sale it and move on, anyone with a Crisp $1.3 million dollars laying around would seal the deal...
    I helped Chet work on the Generator out back, as it was needing some TLC plus, plenty of oil leaks and grease...After he wiped his hands off with a towel using WD-40 for hand cleaner, he came into the restaurant and took orders for dinner, helped in the kitchen and also poured drinks at the bar...
    LOL,,,, gotta love it man......
    I doubled up on the vitamin C,,,
    We went to our room and found the key did not work, went back for a fresh key and was told to put the key in only half way, or it wouldn't work. When we opened the door, we could see housekeeping had somehow missed our room since the last visitors..
    we were given some sheets and a couple of pillow cases.
    I went out to the car and grabbed my sleeping bag instead and threw it on top of the bed..
    I went down to the laundry room downstairs to find some fresh towels, and they had none...
    anyway... it was warm and dry...
    Man what a location though.. that place is in a great location..
    On the way back today, we saw a yote crossing a frozen lake.
    He had it in high gear as I slowed the car.
    He must have seen the brake lights come on and knew what that was all about..lol we saw lots of fox tracks near Eureka.. as usual....
    Anyway,, the critters we like to Call are all coated up and looking nice.
    time to practice with my calls.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com