Thread: Klutina River Camping

Default Klutina River Camping

Any recommendations for camping in the Copper Center area? I hate the typical RV park (ie cramped gravel parking lot). I like to have a little room between me the next family, hopefully some greenery. We have popup and spend a most of our time outside at the picnic table. "Camping" is the reason I go. The fishing, hiking, sightseeing is just a perk. Give me a campfire and the wind throught the trees and I'll sit there for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    "Camping" is the reason I go. The fishing, hiking, sightseeing is just a perk. Give me a campfire and the wind throught the trees and I'll sit there for hours.
    Me too! I gave up competitive combat fishing awhile ago. I'll still do the Russian River thing and ease down to Skilak for a weekend, but I like to camp; I'll fish to kill time.

I haven't fished/camped in Klutina in years. We are going to Valdez & McCarthy in July/August (passing through Klutina to camp and fish too) so here's two that I've dug up:

Klutina Salmon Charters: Campground 822-3991
    http://www.klutinasalmoncharters.com/

Groves:
    http://www.groveklutina.com/Klutina_...ampground.html

I think there's a state campground by the highway & river too, couldn't find it online though.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but can't be as crowded as the Peninsula!

BTW, McCarthy looks like a pretty good place to get away and check out also. Definitely off the beaten path!

Tim

Klutina and Groves are both great places. Yeah they are cramped gravel pads sometimes, but for the most part, there is enough space to lay out. You can fish right at both campgrounds that will have some people fishing it, no where near Russian River status, but you can hike downstream or drive up Brenwick-Craig road for total seclusion. Both sites have WIFI to boot, for little ones...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

About 14 miles up the Brenwick-Craig road (Klutina Lake Road) there is a raft launching area and very nice clearing that is used as a parking area for rafters. You would have that pretty much to yourselves except for the occasional boaters launching. You would need a Ahtna camping permit, but they can be purchased about 3.5 miles in at a little kiosk on the side of the road. There are other places along here as well, but this one is quite nice. The road is a pain, but just go slow and you'll be fine. It deteriorates a bunch after this.

I camped at Squirel Creek Campground at mile 81 (I think) on the Richardson. It was a nice little state campground that was quiet, and not used a lot last week. Also, there were almost no mosquitoes in this campground. Not sure why, but it was very nice.

King for a Day campground, right on the water and has nice sites and plenty of places to fish. I go there every year.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter09 View Post
    King for a Day campground, right on the water and has nice sites and plenty of places to fish. I go there every year.
    Where is this at?

Tim

We just returned from an extended weekend at King for a Day. The spaces on the river itself are pretty much right up against each other, but we stayed in space 56 (I think) and it was a very large space. It was right in the middle of the campground and was a large pull through spot. There were some others across from the ones on the river that might be nice too. The campground has showers. Some spots had full hook ups, but wouldn't be spots I would choose.
    www.kingforadaycharters.com
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I Stayed at King for a Day last weekend and it was terrible. I'm glad we weren't there for exteded amount of time as we were off the road fishing up and downstream. The other two Klutina Campgrounds are much better IMO, better layouts and ammenities. I know there are showers and toilets, but they were always full because of all the people, so we used the outhouses which were the nastiest I've ever seen. If you are afraid of spiders, I definitely wouldn't use them, saw about 15 spiders in the one I was using. Then there were the ATV's...nonstop all day long going round and round and round....it was a **** show.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/