Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend on the Sound with the Family

Default Weekend on the Sound with the Family

We spent the first weekend out on the water as a family this season. Pretty decent water, too. Friday night was a bit choppy an my four year old asked: "Daddy, can you turn the bumps off?" This little guy cracks me up! We anchored up at about 11pm after setting the pots. We awoke to an overcast but flat water morning. I brewed some coffee and had cinnamon rolls going in the oven. Life is good! The kids wanted to fish, so I set them up with buzz bombs and they jigged away for some juvenile sable fish.

The kids could fish for these guys all day. Sometimes we don't leave the hook except to check the pots. Good times.

This was the first time I had shrimped this particular spot and the bugs were there in fair numbers. We pulled three times and ended up with about 30 pounds of tails.

My little guy was pretty proud of this one. He set it aside and wanted to make sure it ended up on his plate. I cannot blame him.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

We explored some tide pools and roasted hotdogs on the beach while letting the dogs run and do their thing.

This will probably be our last season with our chocolate lab. She has some health issues that we are working through, but she still loves the boat and cruising the Sound. It has been a great 13 year run.

We ended up watching Marly and Me that evening before crashing for the night. Great movie, but tough to watch especially with our ole girl in poor health. If anyone says they made it through this movie with dry eyes they must not be pet owners.

A mid day family nap that lasted nearly 3 hours. I did some major reorganizing of boat stuff, listened to tunes, enjoyed some cold Tecate' with lime, and took the dogs to the beach a couple of different times. Great day!

And finally the fruits of our labors.

It was a great weekend out on the water. People at the ramp were helpful and minded their manners. A couple of more days and we can do it again. I feel down right spoiled being able to share these experiences with my wife and kids. Being a Dad is great!

Sound and looks like you guys had a great time. Enjoy while you can, the little ones grow up so fast. Glad you have a nice trip. Those shrimp look good
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Thumbs up Great Pics

Pete, Your little ones will remember this stuff for the rest of thier lives. It's sad about the dog. Mine's getting that way too (11yrs). At least it lived with good times though. I'm not headed out this week, but next weekend is my B-day, so I will be on the water somewhere! I'll be in touch.

Thanks for sharing. It's like being there!

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Smile

Man am I jealous! Its good to see you and your family having a great weekend on the water, look forward to seeing future installments as the summer goes by.

Nice, I was out there last weekend with my son who just turned 18. I love the time on the water with family and friends, thanks for the pics. I also had a pleasant time at the ramp coming in on Sunday, wish it was always so smooth.
    Dave

Default sweet

That is great. My chocolate is 2...so we are in good times right now....that movie is terrible - wife had me watch it on Tuesday evening..good show, but I am not one for those types of endings.

Nice on the shrimp. How do you prefer to cook them up? Thinking sea water boil with some old bay seasoning......

sounds like you guys had a blast, great pics thanks for sharing!
    sevenmag

Nice post Pete, thanks for sharing. I am thinking it is time to drag my gang out for another weekend.

Jim

I missed it on the first read, but now I see the aluminumalloyboats.com sweatshirt! What do they call that, embedded marketing?

Thanks taking us along on the trip Pete! Always much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Nice on the shrimp. How do you prefer to cook them up? Thinking sea water boil with some old bay seasoning......
    That works well. Get a rolling boil, drop them in and remove them once the float. Dip in garlic and butter,mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I missed it on the first read, but now I see the aluminumalloyboats.com sweatshirt! What do they call that, embedded marketing?
    Good catch, Jim! We will be headed out again this weekend, too. This time we will have another family of four with. We have a place to tie up to a dock which will make for some nice evenings and even a beach fire if the weather permits.

Pete

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    This will probably be our last season with our chocolate lab. She has some health issues that we are working through, but she still loves the boat and cruising the Sound. It has been a great 13 year run.

We ended up watching Marly and Me that evening before crashing for the night. Great movie, but tough to watch especially with our ole girl in poor health. If anyone says they made it through this movie with dry eyes they must not be pet owners.

It was a great weekend out on the water. People at the ramp were helpful and minded their manners. A couple of more days and we can do it again. I feel down right spoiled being able to share these experiences with my wife and kids. Being a Dad is great!
    I hope to be where you are in a few years! I just had my first son about 1 month ago. We already bought him a companion about 3 months ago.....

Man those labs are smart dogs. We picked him up before that Marley movie came out on DVD. I was forwarned that it is pretty sad, so we have not built up the courage to watch it yet. You Sir have the set up! I am a ways behind you but I hope to do exactly what you are doing with my family in a few years. I am truely jelious!
    Great pics and you guys know how to have some FUN!

great pictures!!! I would love to have an ocean boat and be out doing that. I think there is so much more to do and catch with an ocean boat. Love the set up. A guy can dream right!!!

Thanks for the nice comments, all. We feel quite fortunate to be able to share these experiences with our kids (and dogs). Each weekend is a new adventure!

Nice post, Pete! I've been wondering what you've been up to. Glad to hear you're out enjoying the summer with the family. Great pics!

Bravo! You know how I love to see pics!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

That is awesome. Just something about getting your kids out on the water for a few days, an experience of its own. They get a happiness with it that inst found anywhere else.

I'm headed out with my boy tomorrow afternoon, do some fishin, shrimpin and campin between here and Montague.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast