Thread: Lake Louise Questions?

Default Lake Louise Questions?

Thinking about taking the boat up to Lake Louise for the weekend. (20' bayliner cabin cruiser w/about a 4' draft.)
    Anybody have any advice on the fishing, what to use, where to go, times of day to fish, etc...
    Never been there before and am looking to take the cuddy cabin boat up there and spend the weekend on it with the family.
    Are there any good anchorages to stay the night in, looks like the southern end has a few coves in it?
    I've heard that Lake Louise has some shallow sections and pinnacles that appear out of nowhere. Is there a place to purchase a chart of the lake before venturing out?
    Is the only launch at the lodge and is it safe to leave a vehicle there for a few days?
    PM me if you like to keep your advice/info private.
    Thanks in advance,
    BK

If you are not familiar with the waters I would recommend that you don`t take a boat with that much draft. Yes, the lake is deep in sections and large but there are numerous gravel bars and only one straight shot area from end to end, get out of it and say goodbye to the outdrive. Do take the time to find a detailed contour map or just idle and have friends/family watch for bottom...the fish finder won`t be enough warning for a heavy boat to stop or tilt a drive. Don`t even think about approaching the Susitna Lake channel. There is quite a bit of shallow, sandy bottom and no doubt will hang you up. My V-hull aluminum boat drags bottom for about 30 yards before the actual channel which is only about 18"s deep.

Fish morning and night, start shallow with bait or troll and work your way down the column. Spoons/plugs work if you can slow your troll to make them work correctly. I have towed two buckets in the past to help slow me down enough for flatfish to run at the correct speed. My best luck has always been soaking bait from the islands.

I would never take a boat that uses that much draft as AK2AZ said that lake has a lot of shallows and would be very unforgiving to a boat such as yours. You could honestly take just about any smaller boat or any boat that had a shallower draft and have no issues as long as you took it easy and get a feel for the lake. Be careful around any points or islands as the shallows go out a lot further around them than they do on any other lake or ocean. The wind normally picks up in the afternoon then winds back down after dinner and is nice out, there are warnings at the boat launch about the wind and waves it produces but it is nothing all that bad just something to keep in mind.

Good luck out there!

I agree about not taking it to Lake Louise.

I have an 18 ft V hull with a prop and have been taking it up to Lake Louise for several years. I've banged the prop a couple times our there. The shallow and pinnacles come up out of nowhere so unless you're willing to just idle around the lake I'd leave it at home. I have only made it through the channel to Lake Susitna when the water is very high and then only if I take the perfect line through the shallows.

There really is only one good place to launch a larger boat and that is at The Point Lodge which might be closed down now. There is a new launch at the end of Lake Louise Road but I haven't checked it out yet.

I've been told there used to be a BLM contour map of the lake bottom but I've never seen it.

>

Here's a map, not great but it will give you an idea of what the lake is like.
    The link also has access information.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/257

Default Thanks, I'm listening...

Drifter, I also found that map on-line, I appreciate your help.
    After measuring the draft of the boat it's more like 2'. I just don't want to hit anything, obviously.
    The boat in question is the one on my avatar.
    Our thoughts were to putt around the lake and troll at the same time. Sightseeing if you will, by boat. Then set the hook and spend the night somewhere.
    In some old forum posts and advice listed above it looks like spoons in silver/green or some big rapalas might intrest a laker.
    We could also use the jetboat and stay in the camper at the campground, but I really like being out on the water overnight plus its much more comfortable in the glass boat.
    PWS looks a little uncertian this weekend thus the thoughts of Lake Louise?
    BK

Default The point Lodge is open

The point lodge has been open for many weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    I agree about not taking it to Lake Louise.

I have an 18 ft V hull with a prop and have been taking it up to Lake Louise for several years. I've banged the prop a couple times our there. The shallow and pinnacles come up out of nowhere so unless you're willing to just idle around the lake I'd leave it at home. I have only made it through the channel to Lake Susitna when the water is very high and then only if I take the perfect line through the shallows.

There really is only one good place to launch a larger boat and that is at The Point Lodge which might be closed down now. There is a new launch at the end of Lake Louise Road but I haven't checked it out yet.

I've been told there used to be a BLM contour map of the lake bottom but I've never seen it.

>

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Drifter, I also found that map on-line, I appreciate your help.
    After measuring the draft of the boat it's more like 2'. I just don't want to hit anything, obviously.
    The boat in question is the one on my avatar.
    Our thoughts were to putt around the lake and troll at the same time. Sightseeing if you will, by boat. Then set the hook and spend the night somewhere.
    In some old forum posts and advice listed above it looks like spoons in silver/green or some big rapalas might intrest a laker.
    We could also use the jetboat and stay in the camper at the campground, but I really like being out on the water overnight plus its much more comfortable in the glass boat.
    PWS looks a little uncertian this weekend thus the thoughts of Lake Louise?
    BK

Just would hate to hear you did major harm...take the jetboat and look around. I used to go all the time as a kid and still didn`t know the water well the first 1/2 dozen times I was the driver and broke props and skegs. I love staying on the boat too but I would certainly become familiar with the lake before I took my ocean boat there. As a matter of fact, I will not take our 19' cuddy there...too much risk with glass and an outdrive.

Whatever you choose, be safe and have a great weekend.

If you have a jetboat then take it and have a fun time without all the worries, even with my jet I still tag bottom here and there but thats just when I am putting around sightseeing and know its going to happen. You can camp at the camp ground or haul your stuff through the channel to Susitna and camp on your right after coming through the channel, its public property and a nice little spot.

I am up there every weekend of the year and I would NOT bring a boat like that. You'll find rock shelves even at idle that you won't be able to avoid even with someone watching for you. And the map above is VERY vaig, missing LOTS of shallow areas's. The camp ground at the point is a nice one along with a boat launch for your JET boat. Both the Wolverine and Lake Louise Lodge are fun places to check out and are very friendly. I know you can shower and do laundry at the Wolverine if need be. Have fun but be safe. The winds can kick up in a hurry late afternoon and early evening but usually settles down later in the evening...

Exclamation man oh man!

yup !! i agree u hav'nt lived ,till at 35mph and u/your boat motor finds that rock inch's below the surface in what was 30' of water!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    yup !! i agree u hav'nt lived ,till at 35mph and u/your boat motor finds that rock inch's below the surface in what was 30' of water!!
    On my lakes around here it's more like what was 250' or more of water!!!!!