Thread: 77/22wmr barrels?

Default 77/22wmr barrels?

I was thinking of rebarreling my Ruger 77/22WMR. I have had it for say 10 plus years and it never realy grouped any ammo well. Say 1"@50yards with the best ammo it likes and there is always a real out lier in a five shoot group. I have a 77/22lr and its a five shot 50 yard 0.25 cc grouper easy with Elley EPS or CCI Green Tag ammo.

I was thinking of Shilens factor barrel just so it would be a do it my self drop-in job. I am hasitate to inlet the barrel from stock so a factory taper sounds good to me. This is just for say 50-150 yards fun gun it wears a VXII 3-9x33 fine pellex parellex adj to 60 yards. I have a sub MOA 22-hornet for larger vermen.

So my questions are, what barrels do you like? And can I get MOA groups with 22WMR ammo or do I need to switch to a 17HMR?

Default drill the barrel....

drill out the barrel, acuraglass in a 17HMR tube and see what ya get.

Did a 17 Mach 2 conversion to an already "customized" long barreled buckhorn 22 a few years back and it worked out great.

It's an option ....

Thanks I just interested in drop in work and would perfer the 22wmr but ammo could be some off the issue and if I spend say $250-$400 on a 22 I want a MOA or better or am I off for rim fire accurracy.

Perfer the cheaper factory taper barrels but I am looking for advise here.

Reread my post and found some misstakes from spelling to (inletting a barrel) ya should be stock but I didnt see a edit icon for some reason today. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I was thinking of rebarreling my Ruger 77/22WMR. I have had it for say 10 plus years and it never realy grouped any ammo well. Say 1"@50yards with the best ammo it likes and there is always a real out lier in a five shoot group. I have a 77/22lr and its a five shot 50 yard 0.25 cc grouper easy with Elley EPS or CCI Green Tag ammo.

I was thinking of Shilens factor barrel just so it would be a do it my self drop-in job. I am hasitate to inlet the barrel from stock so a factory taper sounds good to me. This is just for say 50-150 yards fun gun it wears a VXII 3-9x33 fine pellex parellex adj to 60 yards. I have a sub MOA 22-hornet for larger vermen.

So my questions are, what barrels do you like? And can I get MOA groups with 22WMR ammo or do I need to switch to a 17HMR?
    Green Mountain barrels makes really reputable drop-in replacement barrels. Haven't tried the M77 barrels, but everything else I've used is topnotch. Click here for a look. They've got both 22 Mag target barrels and 17 barrels to fit your 77/22 on that page.

As for 1MOA from 22 Mag? In my experience the accuracy limits are more due to the ammo than the gun.

Default moa

Don't have enough time bihind the 22Mag to say if it's likely or not...

My $150 savage with 3-9 Simmons shoot's about 2.5" at 100. It's not great, but it's plenty good to put the smack down on a varmint Coyote size or less and makes quick work of the hare population.

Haven't tried any, but have heard some decent reports on the light weight Hornaday's and am looking for a box or two of the new light weight Winchesters too. IF memory serves correct, both of them are running a 30-32 grain bullet at about 2200fps. If nothing else it'll be a fun day at the range NOT getting the crap kicked out of me!!!

From what I've seen with the rimfire stuff, having the botl face trued & having (can't remember which) the bolt or chamber custom cut for a specific brand/loading's rim thickness goes a long way.

Maybe there's someone here that has a better memory on this than I do... wouldn't take much lol

good luck

I have my 77/22lr to compare it to and this is only at 50 yards but it does .30 groups ctc easy thats a five shot group that can be cover with a dime with lots of extra room to spare. This 77/22WMR does 1" at ist best at 50 yards and a quarter wounld cover its groups.

The newest ammo I have tried I supreme 34gr, CCI 40gr SP and the old super X 40gr, PMC 40gr, & fed 50gr.

I was hoping that the newer ammo offerings (bullets) are made to better standards as I suspect the new 17HMR is. So my decissions are 17 or 22mag and factory taper or .920. it looks like it will be a Green Mtn. or Shilen.

I think I would like to stay with the 22mag incase Let a friend use it for coyote/bobcat when I use my 22-hornet.

Exclamation Green Mountain is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Green Mountain barrels makes really reputable drop-in replacement barrels. Haven't tried the M77 barrels, but everything else I've used is topnotch. Click here for a look. They've got both 22 Mag target barrels and 17 barrels to fit your 77/22 on that page.

As for 1MOA from 22 Mag? In my experience the accuracy limits are more due to the ammo than the gun.
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog...untainspecials

Check out the 20" sporter barrels towards the bottom of the page cause they are the factory type taper you are looking for. If you want to do more research on them check out www.rimfirecentral.com because they specialize in just rimfire.