Thread: Tips on fishing Ship Creek

Default Tips on fishing Ship Creek

I just moved here from Idaho 2 weeks ago and luv it here. I am a avid fisherman and have caught everything Idaho can offer, salmon included. But now I am up here with the Big Dogs and would love some tips on how and where to catch these beasts in ship creek.
    I have made 2 unsuccesful attempts so far using roe and a float right around the 1st turn from the mouth. I have seen a couple little ones caught but nuthing to write home about. I have heard of people catching nice ones but I come with my lil girls so cant really go to the real hard to reach areas.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A bad day of fishing beats,.................Well EVERYTHING else!

Whatever you do, don't wear hip boots in the mud!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Whatever you do, don't wear hip boots in the mud!!!!
    +1

Get some vibrax, spoons, or corkies + roe + 2-4oz weight. Head down there and watch some people. People toss the vibrax and spoons by the dam anytime, or by the bridges at lower tides. People soak roe at high tide from the steps to the mouth.

i thought this post was pretty helpful:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=51199

but remember catching a king there is far from a sure thing. look at the number of people fishing vs. the number of fish...

Yeah lol. Ive already experienced the mud issue...

Wasnt any fun at all.

Gonna be out there today b4 High Tide by mouth using roe with a corky and a float. Ive seen some people use mesh to tie roe on like I use to do down south when fishin for channel cats. Any good or just secure sac to hook with the bait loop that is on hook?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinbud View Post
    Yeah lol. Ive already experienced the mud issue...

Wasnt any fun at all.

Gonna be out there today b4 High Tide by mouth using roe with a corky and a float. Ive seen some people use mesh to tie roe on like I use to do down south when fishin for channel cats. Any good or just secure sac to hook with the bait loop that is on hook?

I think you are talking about the horseshoe where you are at, it has been slow over there. Right now the fish have really pushed into the creek, someone told them the derby is going on so they will be thicker than thieves next week. The last bridge you cross, you will see the powerline, just under it on the mud there is a cut out that looks like and icecream scoop, have to see it at low tide. The slobs have been hanging out in there. I believe the top 2 fish have been pulled out of that hole. You have to RSVP to get there, people start loading up on that hole a few hours before hightide. Fish the bottom, I dont what wait they are using, but get something that will keep you on the bottom, one of the eggers on here may be able to tell you what weight to use. Give yourself about 2-3 feet from the weight to the hook. Maybe put a spin n glo and a corky on there between the weight and hook as well. I seen this kid nail 2 in 2 days using that set-up, I dont know what today's wieghed, but he nabbed a 25lber yesterday.

I use vibrax, and the motto is low and slow, you dont want to be on the bottom, but you dont want to crank away either. You want to feel that spinner moving. I caught my third one today since Friday, released todays, was in the 15lb range and wasnt going to help my cause. Color on Vibrax, well some may disagree with this, but with all salmon that I have caught, cloudy out, go bright or shiny, Suns out, go dark. I use #6's and today's fish hit a 33gram one I was trying out. I have been fishing towards the first bend from the bridge. I have been in different spots everyday. Tomorrow I may mix it up with the eggers down at the hole buy the powerlines.

One last thing, watch those CLIFFS. Saw someone slide down, and the help just isnt there, the guy went into the drink, and only one person went down there to help and that was after he was starting to walk back out. He did go all the way under, but he held on to the rod and the 10lber that was on the other end.

GL and if you have anymore question fire away.

I fish the mouth of the river and seemed to have the whole place to myself at low tide, the other day at hight tide. It makes me wonder what other people know that i dont, is the mouth not a good place to throw vibrax or soak row? i went down there one day on the weekend and everyone was catching fish, went down there during the week and i was the only one down there catching fish. I saw a ton roll but nothing would bite.

Just got back from Homer tonite. Had crappie luck on Kings even though I saw them run up and down in schools. They wouldnt bite on anything or even show any interest at all.
    I tossed out everything I could summon. Vibrax, Herring, Octopus, Roe, Pixies.
    I even used yarn with corkies.
    Fished on top, on bottom, in middle.... even tried to snag a lil just to say I caught 1 lol.........
    But they just LOL at me!!!!
    After that dismal defeat I went to catch Cods and pulled in 20 in 5 hrs. I know they fail but at least I have fish stix LMAO..

So I will try at Dam this week at Ship Creek and use Vibrax and yarn/corkie at low tide from dam down to bridge.. If this seems like im being a noob then please let me know cause im still learning the area here.

P.S. Anyone need any Cod??

For bait, use a spin n glo with egg hook rig. 2-3 feet of leader and 3 or 4 ounces of weight to keep it on the bottom.

Let your roe soak and sit back and relax.

Bring a chair and a landing net if you have one.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

You sitting up by the mouth?

I hang out in the area under the power lines. Couple hundred yards down from the last bridge. Just look for all the guys in camp chairs. Those are the roe soakers.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Just got back from Homer tonite. Had crappie luck on Kings even though I saw them run up and down in schools. They wouldnt bite on anything or even show any interest at all.
    I tossed out everything I could summon. Vibrax, Herring, Octopus, Roe, Pixies.
    I even used yarn with corkies.
    Fished on top, on bottom, in middle.... even tried to snag a lil just to say I caught 1 lol.........
    But they just LOL at me!!!!
    After that dismal defeat I went to catch Cods and pulled in 20 in 5 hrs. I know they fail but at least I have fish stix LMAO..

So I will try at Dam this week at Ship Creek and use Vibrax and yarn/corkie at low tide from dam down to bridge.. If this seems like im being a noob then please let me know cause im still learning the area here.

P.S. Anyone need any Cod??

Dam may not be that bad, Thursday morning near the wire, where the culvert is popping out, I saw one that was probably mid 40's, one mid 30's and one low 30's. Trust me, I tried everything legally to get that fat joker and he was too gun shy, ran that gauntlet to many times and got tagged on the way. But try to spot them up there at low tide. They have been up there, I saw them everyday, just takes a little more patients to get them up there.

It helps to have a good pair of polarized glasses, you may not see them if you dont.

Anymore questions fire away.

Any good or just secure sac to hook with the bait loop that is on hook?
    Don't worry about the gear. Just make sure and chuck any old bottle Mountain Dew and an empty bag of Cool Ranch Doritos in the water for good luck. I know its a good luck charm because that's what all the regulars do!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Don't worry about the gear. Just make sure and chuck any old bottle Mountain Dew and an empty bag of Cool Ranch Doritos in the water for good luck. I know its a good luck charm because that's what all the regulars do!

lol, and some other garbage that you have laying around, hook bag or two

Ok. So my plan today is to go scout all these areas you all have been kind enough let me know about. High Tide is at 21:06 so I have plenty of time.

As far as setups go and please correct me if im wrong. Soak Roe by mouth below last bridge with or without a float and use about a 1oz weight with spin-n-glo. Doritos and Mtn Dew optional lol.
    At low tide, fish around steps or higher up with a corky and yarn setup.
    Use a vibrax, preferably #4 blue? at the dam area.

Please let me know if I missed or misread something because I really want to land some kings from here.

Thanx for the help!

If any of you plan on going out tonite then PM me and maybe we can hook up.

Ok. So my plan today is to go scout all these areas you all have been kind enough let me know about. High Tide is at 21:06 so I have plenty of time.

As far as setups go and please correct me if im wrong. Soak Roe by mouth below last bridge with or without a float and use about a 1oz weight with spin-n-glo. Doritos and Mtn Dew optional lol.
    At low tide, fish around steps or higher up with a corky and yarn setup.
    Use a vibrax, preferably #4 blue? at the dam area.

Please let me know if I missed or misread something because I really want to land some kings from here.

Thanx for the help!

If any of you plan on going out tonite then PM me and maybe we can hook up.

check your pm

Nate

with the weight/roe. have about 2-3 feet between your weight and hook. You want enough weight to stay on the bottom, 1-2 oz should be enough. I use a 6/0 Gamakatsu hook.. roe or flipping.