Thread: Why does our 4 mo. old Akita puppy sleeps like this?:

Default Why does our 4 mo. old Akita puppy sleeps like this?:

Our Akita puppy has a big plush bed for which to lay his spoiled butt on......instead he chooses the hardest surface he can find and......he does it in a very weird way!? Any reasons why?
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03-15-2010 at 20:51.

He might like the coolness the hard floor gives, especially if he's warm.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    He might like the coolness the hard floor gives, especially if he's warm.
    That could be a possibilty....we just think he's weird. It's not the only thing about this odd dog does that puzzles us....very mysterious breed. He just went ape shat on a full grown st. bernard that peeked over our fence. He got a mouth full of bernard flap with his puppy chompers and went bizerk. He's very aggressive towards strange dogs even as a puppy, but is a big, giddy, attention seeking re re with the kids. He also woke my wife out of a dead sleep when our young daughter's were talking to a strange man by our back yard without my wife knowing of it. The dog is very odd for only being a puppy. He also behaves calmer and more attentive if someone in the house is sad.....he wont leave.

I had a dog when I was a boy that would lay like that. The best I can figure is that the floor is cooler than everywhere else. So laying on its belly is the best way for the dog to cool its self off because there is less hair on the belly so there is a better heat transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    He just went ape shat on a full grown st. bernard that peeked over our fence. He got a mouth full of bernard flap with his puppy chompers and went bizerk. He's very aggressive towards strange dogs even as a puppy, but is a big, giddy, attention seeking re re with the kids. He also woke my wife out of a dead sleep when our young daughter's were talking to a strange man by our back yard without my wife knowing of it.
    Did you research Akitas? They're very agressive toward other dogs as well as being very protective of their "family".

I like them, but you have to watch them around other dogs and strangers. I know a woman who has two, a mother and son, and she has to keep them seperated or they'll tear into each other!

.338 hit the nail on the head. Akita's are a "guard" breed. They are known to be dog aggressive.

Two great links to check out.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/akita/index.cfm

http://www.akitaclub.org/info/breedinfo.html

And yes, likely your pup is a little too warm that's why he lays like that on hard "cool" surfaces. I would get your pup into some early socialization classes ASAP. You don't want an out of control 100 + pound Akita on your hands.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Yep on the dog agresiveness and need for socializing/training. Yep the dogs probably just a little wierd however if he were a sheperd, saint or mastif that was laying around like that frequantly past one year of age I'd have his hips x-rayed. Every dog with hip dispalgia I've ever owned including my current saint slept like that.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Def. trying to cool off. Our Akita would prefer hard cool surface over her bed, carpet or anything else. I would also encourage to socialize your dog with other dogs. Our dog did fine with other dogs after she hung out with them a couple times. Only problem with her was her toys and food. Possessive that way, pick them up when other dogs were over and no problem.Never had a problem with strangers, never with kids either. Just like any dog, you have to spend time with them and train.We used to babysit my sisters weiner dog a bit and it was pretty funny to watch her chase the thing around and funnier to watch the 8 lbs weiner dog chase the 100 pound Akita around.

Default Hunting for the perfect hunting dog for me... NEED HELP

I am fairly new to hunting... I have hunted a lot of dove and some duck, but that is mostly it. I would really like to get more involved with hunting geese, pheasant, quail, rabbit, and other things in those categories. My first question is what dog do you think would best fit my criteria below?

-Strong, athletic dog that can carry and/or fend for himself if need be
    -Weather resistant coat (I think thats what labs have... wondering if all are like that)
    -Have the ability to retrieve from land and water, flush, track, point and whatever else that might be good for my type of hunting
    -Easy to train
    -Good with family, small children and friends
    -Able to protect my wife from any "bad guys or animals" when she jogs in the morning with the dog
    -Hiking/fishing/camping companion
    -Light shedder

My second question is this - What are some really fun and exciting things to hunt, including the ones I mentioned above? Like I said, I have only hunted two types of animals and would really like to get more involved.

Thanks for your help.

Call'm Frog Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Call'm Frog Dogs.

If ur dog could talk this is what he would say: "Dude....do you think you could turn the thermostat down a bit?? I mean look at me....im laying like a freaking weirdo on a hard floor to cool down!"