Thread: beads

Default beads

Is bead fishing allowed on the russian. Also if the bead is fixed to the hook is that considered a fly.

You can use beads, but I believe it has to be attached to the fly/hook not on the line above it. A bead attached to a hook is considered a fly. Check in the regs just to be safe, I know they describe legal flies for the Russian.

Rob

Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed in fly-fishing-only waters. The Russian River confluence is a fly-fishing-only water. See pages 15 & 51 in reg book

Your allowed to fish beads above a bare hook on the russian beginning August 21st, I believe...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I think your right BigCox, The fly fishing only season runs from June 11 to Aug 20th on the Russian. So before/after then a pegged bead will be legal. But like akkona said a bead not attached to the hook is not allowed during the fly fishing only season.

Default fly fishing

But you can use a spin casting rod with 2 ounces of weight and a hook with a barb that sticks up 1/8 of an inch and that is "flyfishing". Really what is the point. Has anyone noticed the increase in fish with injured jaws/mouth/gills. Last year i went on a float down through the refuge, and more then half of the rainbows I caught had disfigured jaws. I dont think it is comming from the trout anglers using a size 6 or 8 hook with a bead pinned above it. And i would like to belive catch and release fisherman are responsible enough to pinch the barbs down on the hooks. The disfigured fish are comming from irresponsible people fishing for reds. I have always wanted to start a movement to provoke fish and game to go to barbless hooks only all year. I can catch reds with no barb. I dont even know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey82 View Post
    But you can use a spin casting rod with 2 ounces of weight and a hook with a barb that sticks up 1/8 of an inch and that is "flyfishing". Really what is the point. Has anyone noticed the increase in fish with injured jaws/mouth/gills. Last year i went on a float down through the refuge, and more then half of the rainbows I caught had disfigured jaws. I dont think it is comming from the trout anglers using a size 6 or 8 hook with a bead pinned above it. And i would like to belive catch and release fisherman are responsible enough to pinch the barbs down on the hooks. The disfigured fish are comming from irresponsible people fishing for reds. I have always wanted to start a movement to provoke fish and game to go to barbless hooks only all year. I can catch reds with no barb. I dont even know where to start.
    Yeah there has been a few discussions on here as to why the bows on the Russian or Kenai have disfigured jaws or faces, I personally think that having a pegged bead gives the fish a better chance to live because you are more likely to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth or jaw as opposed to the gills or down in the throat. But that just my opinion, some people don't like them to be so "ugly" as a result or fishing this technique, which I understand. Having caught a nice sized bow with a disfigured head area is bittersweet. I'm sure others will chime in.

Fish On!

Default Unlikely story...

Quote Originally Posted by dewey82 View Post
    So barbs are responsible for fish mouths disfigument???? I don't think so, While they do cause damage to smaller fish.... FYI the single greatest detriment to fish mouths that I have observed are large hooks, terminal gear, and the fishing line itself......

Backtrolling, lure fishing, and setting the hook w/ terminal gear really damages fish mouths.... Likewise to those flyfisherman out there, no matter if the bead where pegged or on the hook, the fishing line itself often causes the most damage by cutting and tearing off the maxillary bone.... I caught a rainbow on the Kvichak R in Bristol Bay that is very popular for lure fisherman at certain time of the year and this fish was completely missing it tough... GONE!! That had nothin to do w/ a hook barb, that was a fish that flat had its tough ripped out do to heavy gear.... How many fly fisherman can honestly say they ripped out a rainbows tongue w/ 0X tippet???

Default 2009 Regs

I haven't fished the Kenai/Russian much, but plan to this year. Here's what I found from the 2009 Sport Fishing regs:

Statewide regs:
    Gear for fly-fishing-only waters: In waters designated as fly-fishing-only waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows: (1) with not more than one unweighted, single-hook fly with gap between point and shank of 3/8 inch or less; (2) Weights may only be used 18 inches or more ahead of the fly; (3) Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed.

And the regs for southcentral:

Page 50: Inclusive waters: The mainstem Kenai River, from waters of Skilak Lake within a ½-mile radius of the river inlet upstream to the Sterling Highway bridge at the outlet of Kenai Lake, including the Russian River drainage.
    • Salmon may be landed only with the aid of a landing net or by hand.
    • In flowing waters, beads fished ahead of flies, lures, or bare hooks must be fixed within 2" of the hook or be free to slide on the entire length of the line or leader. See page 15.
    • Only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round. The gap between point and shank must be " or less.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I haven't fished the Kenai/Russian much, but plan to this year. Here's what I found from the 2009 Sport Fishing regs:

Statewide regs:
    Gear for fly-fishing-only waters: In waters designated as fly-fishing-only waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows: (1) with not more than one unweighted, single-hook fly with gap between point and shank of 3/8 inch or less; (2) Weights may only be used 18 inches or more ahead of the fly; (3) Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed.

And the regs for southcentral:

Page 50: Inclusive waters: The mainstem Kenai River, from waters of Skilak Lake within a ½-mile radius of the river inlet upstream to the Sterling Highway bridge at the outlet of Kenai Lake, including the Russian River drainage.
    • Salmon may be landed only with the aid of a landing net or by hand.
    • In flowing waters, beads fished ahead of flies, lures, or bare hooks must be fixed within 2" of the hook or be free to slide on the entire length of the line or leader. See page 15.
    • Only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round. The gap between point and shank must be " or less.
    Right, but the fly fishing only season is from June 11- August 20:look on page 51 on the ADFG regulation site here:

The Kenai River from ADF&G markers placed just downstream of the
    ferry crossing downstream to the power line. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .open June 11–May 1
    Fly-fishing-only season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 11–August 20
    Sockeye salmon 16" or longer:
    June 11–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 1– Oct. 31
    B Sanctuary area:
    Waters upstream from ADF&G markers placed just downstream
    of the ferry crossing on the Kenai River to ADF&G markers about 300 yd
    upstream of the public boat launch at Sportsman’s Landing (including
    the waters around the upstream end of the island in front of the
    Russian River mouth),
    and the Russian River from its mouth
    upstream about 100 yd to ADF&G markers
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . open July 15–May 1

Fly-fishing-only season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .July 15–August 20
    July 15–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 15–Oct. 31
    C The Russian River from 100 yd upstream of its mouth to an ADF&G marker 600 yd downstream of the falls. . . . . . . .open June 11–May 1
    Fly-fishing-only season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 11–August 20
    June 11–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 1–Sept. 30
    3 per day/3 in possession–
    in combination, but only 2 per day/2 in possession may be coho salmon through Aug. 31

in combination, but only1 per day/1 in possessionmay be coho salmon

3 per day/3 in possession–in combination, but only1 per day/1 in possessionmay be coho salmon

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Right, but the fly fishing only season is from June 11- August 20:look on page 51 on the ADFG regulation site here:

The Kenai River from ADF&G markers placed just downstream of the
    ferry crossing downstream to the power line. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .open June 11–May 1
    June 11–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 1– Oct. 31
    B Sanctuary area:
    Waters upstream from ADF&G markers placed just downstream
    of the ferry crossing on the Kenai River to ADF&G markers about 300 yd
    upstream of the public boat launch at Sportsman’s Landing (including
    the waters around the upstream end of the island in front of the
    Russian River mouth),
    and the Russian River from its mouth
    upstream about 100 yd to ADF&G markers
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . open July 15–May 1

Fly-fishing-only season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .July 15–August 20
    July 15–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 15–Oct. 31
    C The Russian River from 100 yd upstream of its mouth to an ADF&G marker 600 yd downstream of the falls. . . . . . . .open June 11–May 1
    June 11–August 20
    Coho salmon 16" or longer: July 1–Sept. 30
    in combination, but only 2 per day/2 in possession may be coho salmon through Aug. 31

in combination, but only1 per day/1 in possessionmay be coho salmon

3 per day/3 in possession–in combination, but only1 per day/1 in possessionmay be coho salmon
    But the Emergency Orders like the one this week, trump the regs. Gotta read the EO's before you head out fishing every time.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Fly

if you want to be safe and fish beads...melt it onto a hook, then its condsidered a fly and you never have to worry...works just as well

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that