Thread: Moose River-any fish being caught?

Default Moose River-any fish being caught?

Anyone have a report on what's happening on the Moose River in Sterling? Trying to avoid the Russian mayhem.

Tim

Anyone ever heard of the Moose River? Didn't seem to spook up any responses on this one I guess.

Tim

I haven't heard anything about Moose. All the first run of reds to straight up the the Russian. The second run will have reds going into the different tributaries.

Drove over the Moose River yesterday - not one fisherman fishing. As Ak Fly guy said the early run reds are headed directly to the Russian.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Drove over the Moose River yesterday - not one fisherman fishing. As Ak Fly guy said the early run reds are headed directly to the Russian.
    And they are fast. Real fast. They don't lollygag around at the the mouths of the tributaries like the second run does. From the sounds of things, the run is pretty well winding down. When F&G does the Russian River Opener, most of the run is well past the prime and already in spawning grounds. They leave the left overs for the sports fishermen. This is as it should be.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Even when the fish do school up at the confluence of the Moose, they are hard to catch legally. Sitting in near dead-calm water makes it hard to line them, and they sure don't hit much of anything. I spent a lot of time there in my youth, and it got maddening....you could see the huge schools, cast into them, and either get nothing or snag one in the back accidentally.

If you fish just up-river from the confluence on the bank, depending on the river level, you can do well when the fish are on the move out of the Moose. Not even sure that's a legal area to fish any more, though. I gave up on that area long ago after getting hooked in the hat and whacked with a sinker from other people deliberately doing the "I'm trying to snag without being super-duper obvious about it" retrieve....