Thread: Going to Homer this weekend. Any good fishing??

Default Going to Homer this weekend. Any good fishing??

Heading to the lagoon in Homer this weekend with family. Anyone hear of the fishing there lately? Gonna be there for 4 days so I hope the fishing is good. Any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Thanx

Went last weekend and had hours on end of catching chickens and cod. We dropped right on top of them, and had fish on before we could even get a second line baited and down. Both days. 20-21 miles SW of the spit.

I hear the fishin' hole is getting good. We saw some fish caught, but still lots of fish with lockjaw. Didn't actually fish it myself.

From all reports I've heard, kings outside the fishin' hole are spotty. I didn't put any time into it.

BTW, here's some thoughts about the cod. We kept about 20 cod for the weekend. I love it. In filleting it all, I probably only saw about 4 worms. We caught them on jigs and bait. But if you are getting tired of catching them, someone suggested keeping one, filleting it immediately and using it for bait with your herring (this is legal as it is not a sportfish with a limit). The cod bait apparently acts as cod repellent, but not to halibut.

Good luck!

Dont have a boat unfortunately so just gonna be fishing off the shore hoping for anything. Would love to catch some halibut as well as kings. The fishing for me at Ship Creek as of yet has yielded nothing but Im new to Alaska, just moved here 2 weeks ago so the fishin gods probally want me to put some time in 1st lol.

Thanx for the info though,

Ha it's lunch time!! so I can help you out.

I heard a report that the lagoon on the spit is getting hot. So kings should be available.

Fish off the beach by Lands end hotel. (drive towards it (end of spit) and the beach if at the parking lot on the left (as you drive in).
    You will easily catch pollock, cod, and some sole. I use squid fished like a catfish setup.
    For buts if you feel like it, at low tide put some big bait on your rig. Get it out there, and wait. As the tide comes in keep letting out line and backing up. So eventually you'll be waaaay out there farther than you can cast. You MIGHT get lucky. Also use a bait big enough that the small fish don't mess you up.

Good luck.

Yes the King fishing is starting to heat up off the lagoon. The halibut fishing was AWESOME this last week.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Just got back from Homer tonite. Had crappie luck on Kings even though I saw them run up and down in schools. They wouldnt bite on anything or even show any interest at all.
    I tossed out everything I could summon. Vibrax, Herring, Octopus, Roe, Pixies.
    I even used yarn with corkies.
    Fished on top, on bottom, in middle.... even tried to snag a lil just to say I caught 1 lol......... Saw a guy next to me snag a what looked like a 30lb beut in the back. He looked very sad having to let it go.
    But they just LOL at me!!!!
    After that dismal defeat I went to catch Cods and pulled in 20 in 5 hrs. I know they fail but at least I have fish stix LMAO..

Gonna go to Kenai river for a try at some reds there next weekend. Heard from locals as I passed thru on way home from Homer that they were killing them!!

I saw alot of peeps doing combat fishing! Looked ugly from what I saw of the line of people down the bank for almost a mile but they were pulling them in so hope that helps ya all.

The only thing that will be "hot" is when people snag them in the side. I have summers off and spent the last three days there--notta--all show and no go!