Thread: Wear Your P.F.D.

Default Wear Your P.F.D.

.Dip netting and drinking and dying .......

. So far the photos I have seen on the Chitna Dipnetters assoc . web site and this web site all have one thing in common ..... I haven,t seen anyone wearing a vest or float coat .....
    . Doubtless most people won,.t read this thread as they who don,t read it are real men who just want to get their fish and not have anyone tell them what to do .......

Haveing been in the USCG in Alaska and packed full body bags . And having been on both oceans , every sea , almost all of the sounds . and in about 3/4 ths of the bays in this great land . I know something about staying alive and having fun on the water.... Pretty hard to have fun if your drowning ...And it totally sucks for everyone you leave behind ..... .. Get a good PFD and make it your water time constant companion .. And that includes walking along the banks of rivers .. Keep it zipped up or buckled up and make sure it fits ......... You dads and moms with kids , the state dept of child services doesn,t need any more children to raise so keep your PFD on and buckled or zipped up ......

If you havn,t done search and rescue ,you may not understand that you arn,t invincible . you too can drown ...Hard to eat a good peice of smoked sockeye if you are crab bait .....

I totally agree with you. For years, I figured I could muscle out the cold water then I entered the Polar Bear Jump Off, in Seward, one year. The reaction my body had when I jumped into the water instantly convinced me that there is no way in hell I could survive a dunking in these cold waters especially moving water. The Copper River scares the hell out of me and I wear a PFD whenever I am dipping, climbing or around the rivers edge. I also wear one when I am fishing around a stream or river with a cut bank and on docks and boats.
    Pete

Look closer and you will see vests on, people roped up. If it's nasty my PFD will be on underneath my raingear.

This year two families came through my usual spot with little kids. We're talking 6-12 year-olds. They were from another country.

NO ONE had on a PFD. They were scrambling around on the rocks and climbing around corners. I said what I could, but people are going to do what they want to until it's too late.

Ya , I know people are almost their own worst enemy .. But I still stick my neck out and try to get people to wear them ... I don,t know if they have this sign up in the boat harbors here in SouthCentral , but in Southeast there is a sign on a locker or at the Harbor Monsters office where it will be seen saying " KIDS DON,T FLOAT " use a life vest , and there are life vest there that can be borrowed ..... Parents don,t float so good either ..

As a training session, I tell guys to find a place with cold water, say Portage Lake, dive in waste deep water, make sure your head goes under and see the reaction your body will make, it is an eye opener especially when your lungs try to expell all the air instantly under the surface.
    pete

Default Good thread

Oftentimes we outdoorsmen are poor judges of relative risk and don't treat water with enough respect. A place like the Copper is especially dangerous, and things can go from dandy to deadly in a second.

Wear that PFD and while dipnetting in steep spots, tie yourself in, too.

I wear mine always when I am down there. I know some think its silly when your on a fairly level spot, but that river probally wont give you a second chance if you go in.

Default Near drownings last year

My friend and I witnessed a capsizing last Father's Day. The post can be found here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=14625

None of the three men had on PFD's

~tr

Life vest and tied off is the only way I dip on the cliffs along the copper. Any fish is not worth killing yourself!