Thread: Hanging a bear rug........

Default Hanging a bear rug........

I finally got my grizzly back from the taxidermist and am wondering how to attach it nicely to the wall. A friend told me that he just used nails but that seems a bit rough to me. Also, I want it to not have any droops as it hangs. What do you all suggest? Thanks.

Dave

My taxidermist gave me T pins. I was concerned that they weren't going to be strong enough but they work great. They don't harm the felt and wall damage is minimal.

I use paneling nails and hammer them through the leather not the felt. When a rug is removed, there are some holes to fill in, but the rug is not going any where. I like the idea of the T pins, too, Mr Pid. They would make a smaller hole than the panel nails.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default What exactli is a T pin?

I've never heard of them. Thanks.

Dave

Essentially they're just heavy duty straight pins. Try a crafts store.

My rug has metal rings sewn into the fabric at each paw and the head for hanging. I use sheetrock screws for the rings and straighten any loose areas with t-pins.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    My rug has metal rings sewn into the fabric at each paw and the head for hanging. I use sheetrock screws for the rings and straighten any loose areas with t-pins.
    Ditto, except my B&C griz continues to lay on the basement floor...
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 06-17-2009 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Ditto, except my B&C griz continues to lay on the basementn floor...
    No worries if I had a bear that small I'd be ashamed to hang it up for people to see as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    No worries if I had a bear that small I'd be ashamed to hang it up for people to see as well.
    Well played...at least you've got the gorgeous chocolate/blondie on your wall

Default nail through hide

I also just nail through the hide to hand my rugs. If nailing through the felt, it will rip eventually. Nailing through the hide doesn't show at all.

Default Wall Mount Bears

1)Lay out a piece of 1/4 inch plywood.
    2) Put bear rug on top of it, centered.
    3)With pencil, trace outside edge of felt.
    4)Cut 3/8+- inch inside the pencil tracing....!after removing the bear rug off of the plywood!
    5)Put the bear rug back on the bear shaped plywood.
    6)use two/three wood screws through the back of the plywood shaped bear head and into the wood on the underside of the bear head.
    7) Lift the inner felt and staple through the outer felt and into the shaped 1/4 inch plywood....every six inches.

At this point only the legs will be flopping around. The body of the bear and the bear head are now attached to the plywood.

8) Using wood screws, attach the outer edge of the plywood (lift all the felt) to every wall stud, every 16 inches OC. Use a stud finder. Use screws on the top plywood-edge and on the botton plywood-edge of the rug on the wall. Start with the head area, 'cause its heavy.

Note that the plywood is hidden from view under the outer felt, and the staples are hidden between the two layers of felt.

Well, it works for my five brown/black bear, wolverine, lynx, wolf, and badger, rugs....and all my guests (hunter-guide friends and client-hunters) are always asking me how I got all them rugs to lay so flat on the wall.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Great idea!

Dennis, that is a great idea. When I move mine and re-hang, I will do exactly as you have done.

Dennis, what happens when the body doesn't fit on a 4x8 sheet?

Default Thanks for the help guys......

I will take your advice and try the plywood route. I really want it to hang nice and flat and that sounds like the perfect way to do it.

Dave

I just got my rug back and did the plywood trick. The rug didn't fit on the 4x8 sheet so I left the lower legs with no plywood. I figured that way when some jackass tries to pick up the leg to look at the claws he won't tear the whole thing down. It came out really well and is so easy to hang on the wall.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine