Thread: Out of the way places off the road system

Default Out of the way places off the road system

I have about 17 days off coming up after the 20th and I want to find some out of the way camping spots. I don't like camping in the designated campgrounds, as I just didn't grow up that way!

I want to explore Alaska a bit more than I have in the last 8 years I have been here and am open to suggestions. Places with fish, places you have to hike or bike to get to with 10 and 11 year olds... Have all the gear we need for backpack camping... So open to hear anything you have to offer!

stimpy

My favorites, in order of "favor":

1) Cordova; Alaska at it's finest. The ferry will cost you some money, but it's worth it. Not being linked directly to the road system keeps crowding down. I think it's best in early to mid August when both the prolific berries are ripe and the silvers are in. The Copper River Highway to the Million Dollar Bridge is a must, especially because you can't miss Childs Glacier calving right in front of your face.

2) McCarthy/Kennicott; It's a bit more crowded than Cordova, and it certainly isn't as neat as it was 25 years ago, but it's still something to see if you've never been there.

3) Circle Hot Springs; Best in September and October when there's a chill in the air. It makes the hot springs feel that much better, and the bugs aren't as bad (do not go in June; the bugs will carry you off).

4) Dawson: I like it between crowds. Late summer before hunting season starts is ideal.

5) Southeast Ferry: This is a bit expensive and very time consuming (weeks), but taking the ferry from one community to the next and staying a few to several days at each one until the next ferry comes is the ultimate, especially if equipped to take advantage of each island/community/road system. The only way to see Southeast that would be better would be in your own live-aboard boat.

Stimpy,
    Will the mosquitos carry you off in July/Early August? I remember going to Chena Hotsprings as a kid and the mosquitos were THICK (I believe it was mid-June to early July). We got mugged by mosquitos in Glenallen that year too.

BTW, solid list of places Stimpy.

Tim

Default My picks

Nugget Creek.Mile 14 on McCarthy Road Climb up to Jerry Coppress's Cabin. Explore all the mine shafts but stick to the right side shafts as the Left ones sometimes have Nitro leaking all over. Jody's Overlook is rainbowed coloured Calicopyrite.

Mentasta Mountains. Go to Duffy's and ask to visit Fred Rungee.

54 Mile trail on the Richardson. Climb over Squaw creek and hike into Tonsina Lake and then move all the way to the old ghost town of Bel Caro.

Taylor Highway- Just explore the heck out of it.

Tozitna Hotsprings- You will know what I mean when you reach it.

Hotsprings- These are in the Hogtza Mountains between Shungnak and Huslia. It is really pretty in there.

You have lots of time and this is just a start. Many things you can do in that time.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Halibut cove Lagoon. Drive down to Homer and take a water taxi over. There are spots to camp, state cabins, fishing in the lagoon, and great trails to hike.

Seldovia would be another option, though I don't know if there is a camp ground in town, though I imagine there must me.

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Stimpy,
    Will the mosquitos carry you off in July/Early August?
    I don't know. The only time I was there was early June, which was absolutely horrid.

I always wanted to go back in the fall when there was a chill in the air, but you know what usually consumes most of us in the fall............

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Seldovia would be another option
    Whoops! There's one that I missed from my list. Seldovia is a lot like Cordova; nice coastal town, ferry access (limiting the crowds), and a road system to explore.