Thread: Haul Road footwear

Default Haul Road footwear

What are you guys wearing for hunting up there? The only other caribou hunt i did i wore xtratuffs the whole time.

thanks

for me extra tuffs, when i'm not running the boat, hip boots or waist high neoprenes then.
    some areas the creeks are pretty deep and extra tuffs are not enough.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

It depends on where you're hunting. Anywhere short of the Sagwon hills and I'd just go with a quality pair of hiking boots. All of the wet spots we came across were easily jumped. Further out towards the Franklin Bluffs and off towards the coast the ground got more soggy and Xtra Tuffs would be the way to go.

Default footwear

I've worn Danner Matterhorns, Koflach plastics and Solomon hiking shoes.
    Have always taken hip boots, but haven't used them yet. Usually just get wet and let the synthetic fabric I wear earn it's money.

FWIW - IF I go up there again, I'll stick with the hiking shoes. Faster, quieter & dry quicker. If it's after mid september I'll have proper boots available just incase. Have seen it 70 degrees one day and wake up to a fiit of snow the next. Wouldn't be fun in tenny shoes.

Me and my gore tex danners go anywhere and through anything. I paid 500 dollars for the clothes I hunt in and let me tell you it was worth it!

Default Thanks guys,

Know what to bring - and what not to bring now.

jeff

I never hurts to bring a pair of hiking boots and a pair of muck boots, if room isnt an issue.

When we usually go it is bunny boots all around.

I like dave in the burbs awnser. I preffer the late october hunt for the carabrewers.

The best footwear for everything but sheep is the Lacrosse Burly (rubber knee high). They're a pain to get on and off because they're ankle fit, but that's what makes them the best. They don't slip up and down when you walk. I forget how much thinsulate they have...but I've always been warm and dry.