Thread: Headed to Quartz for the weekend

Default Headed to Quartz for the weekend

Anyone have any tips or advice for me? I havn't had much luck lately with fishing here in the interior so my dad and I are going to take our canoe out to Quartz for the day with high expectations.

Has anyone been recently? WHat lures are working the best? Thanks

I haven't been up to Quartz in a few years, but I used to fish there when I was stationed up at Eielson. The one thing that always worked great was to take some night crawlers, cut them in half and hook them on your line with just a sinker. We would paddle out just past where the vegetation stopped off of the boat launch. You could cast out, let the worm hit the bottom and just reel in slowly. We would catch landlocked silvers all night long like this. Every once in a while we would let a bunch of line out and drag it behind the kayak and paddle parallel to the shore. In this one area we always hooked into a fish that would break our line. We were using ultralights with about 4 lb test on them for trout. It was one of my favorite lakes to fish up there.
    Good luck,
    Heath

hey thanks, thats a good idea, I will grab some worms on the way there!

bring a few spinners and small spoons, ive seen both of those work as well. the lake is overall pretty shallow, and ive had the best success in the shallower areas right were you stop seeing the vegetation. i havent done well in the deeper areas, but dont let that stop you from trying though^^. if i remember right the deepest area is about 48 feet or so. and over 80 percent of the lake is 15 feet or less. gl bro, hope you and your dad have a fantastic time.
    sevenmag

thanks for the tip, i got some worms and shrimp as well, should i set up bobbers for them or retrieve like a normal lure? thanks

I'm heading up to Quartz next. Let us know how you did.
    Where did you get the worms?

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
    Where did you get the worms?

RD
    Why, he had them shipped up by Wicked Willies Worms of Walla Walla Washington of course!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Why, he had them shipped up by Wicked Willies Worms of Walla Walla Washington of course!!!!!
    Haha....

You can pick up worms in Fred Meyer on Airport, Sportsmans Warehouse, or Sentry Hardware in North Pole.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jduvall89 View Post
    thanks for the tip, i got some worms and shrimp as well, should i set up bobbers for them or retrieve like a normal lure? thanks
    We never used bobbers, just a hook and a sinker or two. Just cast out and retrieve in slowly along the bottom with the worms.

well, we are back, got there around 6pm and stayed till 12am. First few casts right next to the boat dock my dad got the biggest of the night, and I got a smaller one, Artic Char. Had a few more bites and catches rest the night, really windy at times.After Quartz we went to 81 mile pond and caught some tiny trout, must have been recently stocked. Then Headed over to the Birch Lake and fished from shore caught another decent size fish. Got back to North Pole and in bed by 230 am

Not as much luck as we were hoping for, only did fish the middle and right side though..

Rainbow Trout Spinners worked well,..as did our Walmart worms at Birch and 81 mile pond.

If anyone else hits it up let us know your results. I like the lake and will be out there again this summer so I need some tips, thanks