Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Brown Bear with a Bow

Smile First Brown Bear with a Bow

Well I finally got one. Lots of time I spent hunting for a brown bear. I have had a few oppertunities but I passed the bears that I had a chance up. Most of the bears I could have harvested by now were just getting off their mommas milk if you know what I mean. Anyways the Muzzy Broadheads seemed to work really good. My arrow past right through. Well I guess let me tell you a story. I got a call from a friend saying that he has seen a nice bear on the moose river that killed a moose calf on the day that I harvested the bear and another the day before. He gave me a specific location so I loaded up my bow and headed for the spot. I called tons of buddies to see if anyone could come and back me up just in case something were to happen. As it worked out it was 12 in the afternoon and everyone was working so I thought that I was on my own. When I finally called the last person I would could think that might be able to go. He said he would back me up. Anyways I walked around the area where the bear was supposed to be in for at least an hour, and I must have walked within 50 yards of where he was burying the moose calf at least ten times. Then I ended walking right up on him. Within a blink of an eye there was this bear standing on his hind legs looking at me over the alders just 10 yards away from me. The only thing I could think was OH ****!!! I pulled my bow back and and put my pin right in the middle of his chest and shot. I was not sure if I hit him or missed, He then began to run off thankfully in the other direction. As I walked over the dead moose calf I seen the bear circling back around to get to the moose calf. I found an opening and he stopped right there and I put the arrow right behind the shoulder. With a good shot he kinda jumped strait up in the air and ran off. I gave it about 45 minutes and went looking for him. He only made it about 50 yards and was piled up. I finally got my first brown bear. He only measured 7'8" but I am very happy with him. The Skull measured almost 23". Hopefully my next picture I send to you is with a nice Dall Ram. At least I got to fill my Kenai Peninsula Bear tag.

Scooter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice bear

Nice bear though. I would not complain I need to get out and get me one. Also what a story I would have sh**ed myself if that bear stood up on me. But once again Nice bear

Default more pictures

more pics and I have more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job, congratulations. The vegetation looks odd, almost like Afognak rain jungle plus kudzu vine. Appears to have a thick coat, considering the temperatures we have had. Well done, now F&G will think there is only one more brown bear left alive on the Kenai.

Default Congratulations!

Brown bear with a bow is a real accomplishment!

Thumbs up

Congrats, way to get him with a bow!!

Talking way to go

You don't have to look over your shoulder on this one. You should be justifiably proud...not something that happens very often. A very beautiful bear...I'm happy for you...and envious.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Awesome man, congrats! That's a butt puckering experience when you are shooting them head on and they are looking at you.

Now thats hunting a bear and a big congrats to you on a fine brownie

Default Your Bear

I will tell you the truth...we are all envious. Good Job and way to keep your cool!!!!

Matt

Nicely done. I've been eagerly awaiting some stories of success on the Kenai Peninsula bear tags.

Default nice bear

I have seen the muzzy broadheads in action and they have all been pass throughs. Nice shot and looks like a real trophy. Maybe a few more calfs will see the fall.

Default Beauty!

Wow! NICE BEAR! Stalking around a bunch of brush where visibility is limited and you are pretty sure he has a meal he is working on? And you stuck with it! And it worked. I can't imagine having a bear stand up that close to you. Just love the story and the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Do you know if you got him with your first arrow or not? Nice bear!

WAY TO GO!!! What an exciting story, I just took my first Blackie in AK this spring, hopefully someday I will be able to get a Brown as well.

Very nice....Grats!

Thumbs up WOW

That’s only the second brown bear I have heard about taken on the Kenai this Spring. Weird how few are taken with all the bears around. Those are great pictures and make it look much bigger!! The claws look sweet. Must say I wouldn’t have had the guts to use a bow, but you did. Wow!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Default mo money...

Guess I have even more excuses to donate $ each year to F&G....

Congrats on the bear!! Bet the grandkids are gonna get tired of hearing that story in years to come...

Can't wait till mine is old enough to understand what I'm saying. He's 8 months old now, so I have a few years to wait.

Default Awesome!

Great story and bear. Nicely done photo too.

Default Free arrows for bears

Looks like you did a great job! Composure is a key thing to have when your staring down that arrow. I really like the fact you were cool enough to pass out another arrow. Words to live by, no matter what the weapon, keep shooting until they're down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast