Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any fish in Fish Creek/Pond, Juneau yet?

Default Any fish in Fish Creek/Pond, Juneau yet?

I was down at the creek a few days ago at low tide. They still had not released the babies from the pen yet and I didn't see anything jumping or anything running up the stream. Has anyone else seen anything yet at high tide? Any idea when they usually start running in force?

Default Nope

Ive been checking it every other day. Even fished the mouth at high tide. Nothing nowhere. Not even a rolling king nosing into the creek. Usually start catching them at the the end of June into July.

That's what I was figuring. My folks came into town last night and I am trying to get them a King. Had some luck at DIPAC a few days ago but it looks like people are only catching about 1 fish per hour.

The kings aren't really in thick at Fritz Cove yet, but I'm hoping to slum up a few hatchery kings to smoke up. There are catching kings pretty good here at DIPAC and I saw chums in the fish ladder late last week.

How did it go up at the Berners Cabin, SemperFi? What did you end up doing?

Things went good. Got a bunch of crab but lost two rings to the currents. Lot's of sunshine and lot's of sights. Got to kayak with two whales in the area and even got to see one breach twice. Did almost die though. I headed out in the kayak one morning by myself to look for one of the lost rings. As I was almost to the spot, about a quarter mile from shore, I found out the island I was heading towards was not covered in birds like first thought. It turned out that there were about 100-200 sea lions sunbathing on the island. All at once they saw me. About 50 of them jumped into the water and headed towards me at full speed. I could have had someone water skiing behind me as fast I was paddling towards shore. Luckily I made it to shallow water before they got too close but they followed me the whole way back to the cliff face by the cabin. Every so often while I was heading back in two feet of water, a fish would jump and I would poop myself a little. It was interesting.

Anybody been out to the creek and/or pond? I've seen some dark fish jumping in Auke Bay, I think they've got to be in the creek/pond by now. Any reports out there?

Nothing yet. DIPAC still has the pen in there. Typically the Kings arnt in there till a few weeks after that disappears...

Best shot is probably DIPAC right now...

Default sea lions

Ive had scary experiences with those moody sea lions before too. I heard they are meanest in May due to competition for food. Do they mate in the spring? That could contribute to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Ive had scary experiences with those moody sea lions before too. I heard they are meanest in May due to competition for food. Do they mate in the spring? That could contribute to it as well.
    S&W .500's aren't just for bears!!!

Have fun with NOAA LE :P

As I understand it, due to the MMA (Marine Mamal Act) You can't even harm one if it decides to jump on your boat.

Such crap.

You'd be hard pressed to tell the diff between a sea lion skull and a brown bear skull and even harder pressed to tell the diff between the canine teeth.

FWIW - the kid did quite well on the sockeye yesterday out the road. He and his bud got theirs in about 5 minutes. Said he hooked a released a few more, but left after about 20 minutes. I'm gimped up or would have been out there myself. Minimalist green pattern. Going on the BBQ tonite!

I wanted to make it out there on Wednesday too....My shift got changed to 1030 to 2030....screwed me for that. Might do the saturday thang though...

Any more word. I am taking my dad out for one more shot today. Probably going to hit DIPAC but I know it's going to be stupid busy out there.

I have seen cars parked at the pond area every day this week.....The pens are out....so I dunno...

Default ?

Most of the people parked out there are fishing at the mouth. I caught 2 on 6/30 from the pond last yr. Thats only 9 days away so I would think there has got be a few in there or any day now at least.

Went down there today. No fish in the pond. Supposedly one small one was caught at the mouth. SLOW at DIPAC too.

Dang....Was hoping they'd have finally shown up in there...

I'm going to try to make it out this weekend, anybody been out there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Went down there today. No fish in the pond. Supposedly one small one was caught at the mouth. SLOW at DIPAC too.
    Hike WAAAAY out to the mouth of the creek... it's only a good bite through a VERY low tide (like we're having this week!) Cast between the boats out there, and let your spoon/herring/etc. run as deep as you can without fouling.

If you've got boat access, there are 2 hours each day where fishing in Fritz cove will be "on fire"... otherwise, it's just entertaining tourists and waiting for low tide out there.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was there thru low tide today on a boat - 1 frickin' dog.

Buddy I went with limited out solo yesterday. Had a couple of doubles on too. He didn't invite me on the right day! (only day he's been skunked this week . . .) Go figure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast