Thread: Oh no!

Default Oh no!

My bolt is Kaput on my Savage 110 pre accutrigger .30-06! After shooting 220 grn bullets I found that my bolt was hard to action, & then a week later, I find that my metal retaining thingamabobby (lil' black round thing at the front of the bolt holding the firing pin) broke in half & was sticking out!

I looked up Savagearms.com & they only have a 1 year warranty, so it seems I will have to pay for this out of pocket, to fix. I'll let everyone know how they treat me...wish me luck.

I sent them my bolt today & eagerly await thier call back...Gee I wish it were a Taurus, as they GURANTEE their weapons FOREVER! Are there any other manufactuers out there that offer rifles guarnteed forever?

Now I know exactly why people own so many firearms, & am glad you guys TOLD ME to buy ANOTHER .30-06... Had this happened right before hunting season, & I dind't buy that other -06, I'da been SOL...

Yet the old Charles Daly,Winchester,L.C. Smith and many others. Ruger does but not in writeing

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You're not just lucky, gogoalie, you is smart, because you knew.

"If a little bit is good, a lot must be better." So, you got a nother gun.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Not smart...

per se, but I did listen to the sage advice listed on this here website.... :P

I had the same part break in my Savage 110 quite a few years back. The gun was probably 6 or 8 years old at the time. Mine broke about 3 or 4 days before hunting season and I didn't have a back up (I was away at college at the time). I called Savage and told them the problem and they said they'd see what they could do. In the meantime I went to the machine shop and had one made, just in case Savage didn't come through. Low and behold, 2 days later I had an envelope in the mail with a replacement part, no charge. A few minutes of work and I was back in action! I hope you receive the same great service from Savage that I did that day.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    My bolt is Kaput on my Savage 110 pre accutrigger .30-06! After shooting 220 grn bullets I found that my bolt was hard to action, & then a week later, I find that my metal retaining thingamabobby (lil' black round thing at the front of the bolt holding the firing pin) broke in half & was sticking out!

I looked up Savagearms.com & they only have a 1 year warranty, so it seems I will have to pay for this out of pocket, to fix. I'll let everyone know how they treat me...wish me luck.

I sent them my bolt today & eagerly await thier call back...Gee I wish it were a Taurus, as they GURANTEE their weapons FOREVER! Are there any other manufactuers out there that offer rifles guarnteed forever?

Now I know exactly why people own so many firearms, & am glad you guys TOLD ME to buy ANOTHER .30-06... Had this happened right before hunting season, & I dind't buy that other -06, I'da been SOL...
    I had that happen on a savage 338winmag about 7 years ago. the same part broke. It holds the end of the bolt together and it is hollow so the firing pin can pass thru it. It also damaged the firing pin to. I think mine broke from a reloaded case that didnt get sized well enuff and I strongarmed it in. It sucked to because I was on a hunting trip. I orderd a new firing pin and the said broken doodaad and fixed it myself and gave it to father in law who had it ported and we only use it at the range now. They are accurate guns but they are weak if you ask me.

Default just for reference

The thingy you are talking about is the bolt head retainer.

Savage has addressed this problem in the meantime. It used to be that the firing pin diameter was larger, and so the hole in the bolt head retainer (which the firing pin passes through) was larger too. It was generally adequate, but sometimes (as you know!) it broke. (Big hole equals less metal.) A few years ago they went with a smaller diameter firing pin in their magnums (and an accordingly smaller hole in the retainer pin), and since then they make all their bolt heads that way and I bolt head retainer pin breakage is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not sure if you can convert yours over with a new firing pin and new bolt head pin, but it might be worth asking.

Sharp Shooter Supply (www.sharpshootersupply.com) are pretty much the Savage experts and an excellent resource. Lots of good info on Savages at www.savageshooters.com too.

Default Old Savage 340s

Do you know why savage has had to work to get back their reputation?

The old Savage 340's from the late 1970's-1980's had a plastic knob in that bolt.
    We had one in 7 MM Remington mag. My brother shot a 48 inch moose with a 270 Winnie 700 ADL Rem at the top of 54 Mile Richardson-Wagon Wheel Creek- I think. We were 13 and 11. I was older and he decided to haul the 270 down to the truck with the first quarter while I was butchering. It was getting dark.
    A large brown bear started grunting and rumbling in the brush about 50 yards away from the moose. I grabbed that Savage and shot to scare it away.
    Mr. Murphy came calling and that plastic part broke after the shot. So I am covered in moose blood on a kill with a non-functioning rifle. I lit up the coleman lantern and yelled like a crazy man until the bear left.

You have to watch those knobs on the action. It is the weak link in a wonderful gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Do you know why savage has had to work to get back their reputation?

The old Savage 340's from the late 1970's-1980's had a plastic knob in that bolt.
    We had one in 7 MM Remington mag. My brother shot a 48 inch moose with a 270 Winnie 700 ADL Rem at the top of 54 Mile Richardson-Wagon Wheel Creek- I think. We were 13 and 11. I was older and he decided to haul the 270 down to the truck with the first quarter while I was butchering. It was getting dark.
    A large brown bear started grunting and rumbling in the brush about 50 yards away from the moose. I grabbed that Savage and shot to scare it away.
    Mr. Murphy came calling and that plastic part broke after the shot. So I am covered in moose blood on a kill with a non-functioning rifle. I lit up the coleman lantern and yelled like a crazy man until the bear left.

You have to watch those knobs on the action. It is the weak link in a wonderful gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    I'm pretty sure that the Savage 340 wasn't/Couldn't be chambered in 7mm Remington Mag.

I wonder, if you are talking about a different rifle.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default You are right!

It must of been a 110. I really think it might of been a hybrid because it had a funky clip that went with it. I have noticed that numerich arms was selling 7 Rem barrels for 340e so maybe that is why it was such a problem camper. My dad picked it up with three other rifles for 450 dollars from a pipeliner headed south. The others were a remington 7 Rem and a Remington 8 Rem so he still came out ahead. We traded it for a 44 Ruger super blackhawk right after that incident.

The incident turned me off of savage guns for several years. I do have a savage 16 gauge autoloader from my grandfather.

I bought several savage guns later on but not before they changed out that plastic plunger. I bought my son a stevens crackshot favorite and a stevens 200 in 270 win which is a handy nice little gun. I also bought a 243 win model 99 for 150 dollars when I was up in Ambler.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! A+ POSITIVE for SAVAGE ARMS!

Got my bolt today, FIXED & no charge!

WOW! I can't wait to shoot my rifle again, & this time use my bench I made! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

Saveage Arms ROCK! I don't care what people say about them!

I agree they are hard to beat for the $$$ congrats on getting your back!

of course one could say the only thing better than a company that fixes their products quickly is a company that doesn't need to...