Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Alaskan...scope?

Default 375 Alaskan...scope?

Need to find the right scope for my 375 Alaskan, so I thought I would ask you guys. Would rather get advice from folks that hunt in Alaska for bears, than someone behind a counter in the L-48. After searching this forum and many others, I realize that a compact scope and a set of Warne QD rings should work well with this gun. Any advice from you guys would help alot.

So........which brand and what power?

Thanks,
    Shannon

I had a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 on mine that I loved.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I have a Leupold vx-III on my Big Alaskan (old tang safety 77 in Bansner High Tech stock, barrel bobbed @ 20", chambered in 458 Win Mag.). The scope is the 1.5-5 x 20 and I love it, plenty of eye relief, wide FOV and low power for close range down in the brush.

I use a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40 on my African and it works great.

Leupold 1.5 X 5 in lo mounts

Default +1

1.5-5 Leupold is first choice although the new 1.75-6 is interesting too. Possibly the 2-8 but would much prefer the 1.5 for dedicated bear work. Plenty of magnification @ 5x for the longer work.

Default so many choices...

For many years I felt the Leupold 1.5 x 5 by 20 mm with the German #4 reticle from their custom shop was as good as it gets for a "close encounter". I also have Leupold 1.75 x 6 by 32 mm with a center post cross hair reticle from their custom shop. My .338 wears the 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm Leupold. I think it is the best "all around" scope ever made. But, it is really a toss up between the first 2 for a "close encounter" scope. I think the 1.75 x 6 is the best choice for the "all around" scope for a .375. If it was used as a dedicated "close encounter" rifle then the 1.5 x 5 wins. From the bench, at 100 yards I often shoot the same size groups with either one.

Default Scopes

I also have all three of the leupolds mentioned on different rifles. My .375 wears the 1-5 and I really like the huge field of view on low power. I've always been happy with leupolds and have at least six. They aren't the only scopes I have but mostly. I think some good advice is to look at a lot of scopes that are comparable. Look at scopes even if you don't intend to buy them. You'll find some little things you like and don't like about many of them. I think you should take a look at the Trijicon 1-4. Zeiss and Swarovski make some incredible glass. I'll probably never own one but I love the Schmidt and Bender, that's my favorite. Most of us just can't justify scopes like this but people that hunt leopard in the dark may. Take your time check them all out.

Why have ONLY one scope.....per rifle....???? If I could pick two for the .375 Alaskan.......the "second" one would be a Leupold straight 2.5 power with Heavy Duplex or German #4 reticle. Why, because it is the lightest weight 8.5 oz. and the cheapest that I would trust. If one is traveling for the hunt, why not take a back-up scope, pre sighted...???

Thanks for all the above info.! Been on line for the last 3hrs. checking out all my options...lol As of right now my plans are to get used to the iron sights while seasoning the tube, should give me plenty of brass also.

Kinda leaning towards the Trijicon at the moment, sure that could change as I learn more about scopes. Thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanman View Post
    Kinda leaning towards the Trijicon at the moment. Thanks again guys!

That is interesting, which model Trijicon......??? Have you found a good place to buy them...??? How do they hold up with that type recoil....? Are they warranted for that application....? Have you talked to the factory/manufacturer.....? Is mounting going to be a problem....???? I don't know, I like your thinking outside the box....

Default scopes

Have a look at Trijicon.com they have the "accupoint" a self illuminating series of scopes. They have a fiber optic wrap around the back of the scope tube that powers the lit reticle. Their 1-4x24 has a triangle post that is green, amber or red, they also have a German #4 cross hair that has a amber or green dot. They seem to hold up well to recoil, my friend has one mounted on a 505 Gibbs and after 80 to 100 rounds, so far so good. I also love the idea of having two scopes for a given rifle. I once had a Sako in .300 Weatherby set up with a 1.75-6 and a 4-16. I would carry a small grid bore sighter with me to double check my point of zero if I ever switched them. Each scope had their own rings and a note on a piece of tape around the tube of where it was zeroed on the grid of the bore sighter. This sounds complicated but it really isn't. I still always carry a small magnetic bore sighter with me just in case I ever took an impact to my rifle or scope. This way you don't have to wonder or shoot your rifle in the field to see if it is on. After all, you could scare off that Boone and Crockett Bigfoot!

Cool scope

I use a 2.5 x 8 V III Leupold on my 375 Alaskan and love it

Leupold 1.75-6 seems ideal for this chambering/rofle combo. Plenty of power with a good low end for the big stuff at close range.

Default Might want to try....

Shanman,

You might want to sneak a peak at the Leupold Euro 30 scopes. They make a 2 x 7 x 33 and a 1.25 x 4 x 33 that are great scopes for hard recoiling rifles. They have 2 types of reticles as well.

Kirk out.

I recently bought a Trijicon Accupoint 1X-4X-24 for my Kimber Talkeetna 375H&H but they are way too short to mount......even with Talley extension bases.....My Leupold 2.5X compact and Leupold 1X-4X will both fit easily.

It's hard to believe that Trijicon designers missed that length issue as a scope of that power, I would consider for mostly on DGRs which means magnum length actions in most cases.

The Accupoint won't even fit on a Long action 700....In fact, it will barely fit on my Kimber WSM action....

Bad enough they screwed up on length but followed other manufacturers and put the windage knob on the right side directly over the loading/ejection port.

Whoops...I misled ya a bit......my Trijicon is 1.25X-4X-24......that's the 1" tube whereas the 1X-4X is 30mm.

The Burris 1.5-6 power Euro Diamond with a 30 mm tube. does any hunter out there know what 60 feet @ 100 yds. is like? Let me tell yah......it's over double of the field of view of a 3-9 with a 1 in. tube. kinda nice to have some massive field a view when an animal is wounded and runnig.....or worse......charging you at full speed. http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Euro-...ope-P2984.aspx isn't that just a beaut of a scope!?

I had a chance to pick up an SII 1.5-6x42 last yr. That along with my VXIII 1.75-6x32 has made that magnification range my favorite. I liked the idea of a larger objective for better low light hunting at 6x but really the two scopes are so close in this respect as not to matter. I can only imagine how nice a S&B Zenith or Swarovski PH in 1.5-6x42 would be though.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. James T. Kirk View Post
    You might want to sneak a peak at the Leupold Euro 30 scopes. They make a 1.25 x 4 x 33 that are great scopes for hard recoiling rifles. They have 2 types of reticles as well. Kirk out.
    Did you know that they are "NOT" really 30MM scopes. That they are 1" scopes with a sleeve. I like mine, but it is a P!ss-off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast