Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the outdoors

Default Tips for the outdoors

The Skills thread made me think of this and that there might be a differance between skills and tips.

What are some tips that you have to share for others?

Skills go on the other thread.

I start my kids off very young with "dont eat the Yellow snow" and go from there....

pretty broad topic.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Dryer lint for emergency fire starter; it's light and works well. It might be obsolete now with all the new cool stuff, but it's free and light.

Default Fire Starter

A good back up in wet conditions is to stuff a couple med steel wool bundles in your pack and a 9 volt battery - keep them well seperated - you can touch the battery ends to a chunk of steel wool and it will start on fire presto! Steel wool comes in handy for a variety of needs and is light to carry. Do not put 9 volt battery in your pocket - if you have keys, coins, etc in the pocket you will get a very hot suprise when they make contact!

Default fire starter

Cotton balls with petroleum jelly rubbed into them make some of the best fire starter I have come across .. It is the only fire starter I have found that will reliably start with a flint and steel ..

Quote Originally Posted by gumboot458 View Post
    Cotton balls with petroleum jelly rubbed into them make some of the best fire starter I have come across .. It is the only fire starter I have found that will reliably start with a flint and steel ..
    ...in the driving rain.

One moose/caribou hunting trip my wife was with me, it was pouring rain.

I was wearing plain ol' leather work gloves while the wife had on the insulated gortex removable fleece lined skookum gloves all the while resting her hands in her lap, while I had my hands held up under my chin in my plain leather gloves. Now we had about a 7 mile atv ride back to camp in the cold, wet and dark. Fill a gortex item with water and you have a bowl of water just like the two on my wifes' hand's. She was miserable on the ride to camp.

If you sit in the rain either don't wear gloves or hold your hands higher than your elbows.

To remove moisture from inside your footwear overnight, stuff them with newspaper.Let the newspaper dry during the day for reuse at night.

Pre-dose your socks with footpowder before you leave home for hunting camp.

Don't forget the toilet paper
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Don't forget the toilet paper
    Don't use devils club for TP. I don't know if it is a tip or skill, but know which plants leaves you can use for TP if you get caught without it or run out.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default fire starter

The best firestarter is trioxene (sp?) You can get it at the Army Navy or Army surplus. It will start a fire with wet/damp/frozen wood... Good for the lazy streak in all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by MAN View Post
    The best firestarter is trioxene (sp?) You can get it at the Army Navy or Army surplus. It will start a fire with wet/damp/frozen wood... Good for the lazy streak in all of us!

Fire Starter!
    Best (and cheapest!)? Inner tubes cut into about three inch squares. Will even start wet dead willows (with patience).
    Thanks Ken F. (Yakutak)
    Joe (Ak)

I don't know how it would work in wet alaska but here in ohio we use a 30 min. road flare

Thumbs up Cotton balls

Thumbs up to the cotton balls with vasoline. Just spread out the cotton

ball and strike a magnesium fire stick into it & presto a fire that will burn

for a minute or so. The best i have used, bar none!!!!!!

Default Tips for AK hunting...

1. Duct tape is a great fire starter.
    2. Cotton clothing is for around the house or in the sleeping bag.
    3. Always have back-ups...one moment it is the time of you life, the next moment it may be your life.
    4. Bad weather is a given in Alaska...good weather is a moment to savor.
    5. Choose your hunting partners carefully...they may make or break the whole experience.
    6. Research and plan you trip.
    7. Enjoy the moment, and don't push the transporter.

...There are more tips, but...

Doc

The best fire starting system I have EVER had is my Zippo Lighter.

Extra flints in the cotton wool, and a baggie to keep it paired with my Fluid container and none is better.
    Hold it on you tender as long as it takes.
    Heat a can of raviolies on a makeshift cooker in to fills.
    Hold it alight for a long time and use it as a candle.
    Get it wet and stroke it repetedly untill the sparks fly.
    Great in wind, and -50f.

Zippo.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by MAN View Post
    Available in Aus., carry some in my day pack, well worth carrying, its sealed in a heavy foil package and weatherproof.

"real" 550 cord, If you get a plugged barrel you can usually find a stick or stiff grass that you can dig the plug out but to actually clean it I have used 550 a couple times. I just pull one of the smaller threads out of the center of the 550, then use a small piece of grass to push it down the barrel, sometimes you can get a good bit down there and then blow it through with your mouth.....***pull the bolt first!**** Now either take a piece of cloth, cotton ball or even several short lengths of 550 to form your "patch".

There are certainly plenty of other field cleaning kits that will work far better, but they are all dedicated cleaning kits and are heavier, besides 550 should be in your pack anyway. Talk about a million different uses!

Default Survival stuff

Before commiting an item to your gear (and possibly your life to the item), practice with it at home.

Also, considering that the need for survival stuff usually comes as the result of something bad happening and that "something bad" often means injury...practice with your gear one-handed. It puts things in a whole new perspective.

When there's several options I try and select things that can be used one-handed such as a T-handle saw vs a wire saw.

Default Silence the "jingles"

Metal pull tabs on pack and clothing zippers can jingle.

Some consider the noise to be an extra bear bell, and others assert the noise is inconsequential and doesn't spook game.

For me it's mental. Being silent in the field helps get me into the predator mode and I take efforts to eliminate extraneous squeeks, creeks and jingles.

I either remove the metal tab entirely and replace it with cord or overwrap it with duct tape.

What Erik in AK said. I can't tell you how many articles I have read where someone got in trouble and did not know how to use their gear. Especially flares, which do not make reliable fire starters in alaska.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast