Thread: help tieing popsicle

Default help tieing popsicle

I'm trying to tie the popsicle fly and I can't get the marabou to palmer . I'm using strung blood quill marabou and maybe its the wrong kind , any help appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    I'm trying to tie the popsicle fly and I can't get the marabou to palmer . I'm using strung blood quill marabou and maybe its the wrong kind , any help appreciated .
    Try using saddles vrs strung marabou, esp if you can find spey marabou. Palmering is better then hackling....

Personally, I switched to rabbit strips some time ago and not only are they more durable, they fish much better then marabou.

Tynmon , Do you wrap the rabbit strips around the hook ???

Spey marabou is the way to go. Tie it in by the tips, cupped side down, then fold to the rear and wrap forward. Don't palmer it, the gap will only cause the quills to weaken and break. It also helps to break the barbules with a piece of velcro or a fine, short-toothed comb.

Default Both!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Tynmon , Do you wrap the rabbit strips around the hook ???

I wrap the strips and tie it on... Sometimes I add a zonker strip as a wing... Of course cross cut for palmering and zonker strips for wing and tail.

another almost cheating trick is to make a bump with chenille behind where you are going to palmer the hackle. Almost an egg style bump. This gives you two things, one a place for the 'hackle' of the maribou to stand up against, and a nice place to pack it in if you want too. Wrap 4-6 turns or more depending on the size of the fly you are tying.

This fly works extremely well for slooow water silvers... Fast water it gets mashed down to much imho, here I also opt for rabbit fur for most of my fishing. I do use popcicles for a select couple of rivers though and it works extremely well!!! Just love how it hardly sinks, watching a 10lb bright coho (hint hint) come up from slightly dirty water (cough cough) and kerplam fish on! The chenille will help the fly from mashing down too much, giving it some bulk but keep from adding too much weight in the process.

Also look for the gamakatsu spey fly hooks, man alive do they rock! I cant remember the number on them, you'll know them when you see'm. three rivers fly and tackle has them. I usually make a run to buy them out, kinda slow on the gun this year so it's your luck haha.

Good luck.

Not sure which way to try and I don't have alot of the materials you guys are suggesting I use . Is there a more simple way to tie this fly ?? I did tie a couple buy tying the marabou on the hook in stages working my way up the hook shank with three different colors . Just not sure if they will have the look that I would have had with a palmered fly. Seems like the marabou will just lay down when wet as the palmering would keep the marabou more alive .

Default popsicle with strung maribou

chugbug,

The above advice is excellent, but if you've got strung maribou and aren't looking to break the bank on additional supplies, you should still be able to crank out some fishy popsicles. Use what you have.

I threw together a fly this morning to grab some pictures for you - was in a rush so a few are a bit blurry. Plus I'm in the middle of a move so my bench is not really set up and I couldn't find half my stuff, but anyway, hope this helps you out.

okay, starting with some bucktail out the back (I think it adds an antennae/feelers look reminiscent of shrimp/prawns). You can or can't. Then when using strung maribou I like to use the chenille bump technique that TradBow mentioned. Sometimes I use this to add accent colors (like chartreuse for black/purple flies or orange for blue flies, etc). It helps eat up the hook shank a bit and keep the maribou flared out and away. With strung maribou your feather stems aren't very long, so this lets you fill up the shank without having to use three or four feathers. anyway

then pick out a piece of strung maribou with some long fibers. stroke the fibers back from the tip to the base of the stem to free all the fibers. i use hackle pliers and clamp onto the base of the stem
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

tie in by the tip of the feather. i like to tie in a few strands of the maribou as well just to add some extra strength to the stem.

as you wrap forward you need to gently pull the fibers back out of the way. i typically use my bodkin and pull the fibers out after each wrap. you can keep your wraps fairly close together and still cover about a third of the hook shank. (ignore the fact I forgot to move my thread forward for this picture)

keep the fibers free so you don't wrap over them and ruin the palmered maribou effect.

when you've wrapped the entire feather, tie off. by now you should have a nice plume of fibers

grab your next color and pick out another feather with nice long fibers

again, tie in by the tip

start wrapping forward, pulling the fibers back and out of the way. use your bodkin to pull the fibers free and back down the stem of the fiber so they wrap evenly and don't get tied down. this picture shows where i usually pause and pull the fibers out from under the fly.

(note, forgot to mention, but after the first color i usually moisten the maribou and pull it back so the fibers stay out of the way for the next color).

tie off when you run out of feather. at this point, you could add a collar of schlappen or a webby saddle hackle. or just call it good. you can of course add some flash somewhere along the process, too. i just didn't bother digging for more materials.

if you choose feathers with good fibers from your strung maribou pack, and are careful as you palmer the feather, you can end up with a nice big silhouette from any direction and good motion in the water.

sexy

Wow , you do nice work , !!! thats the look I was trying to get !! Great photos , Thanks for taking the time to put that together . I'll try my best and see if I can get it to work , with your step buy step instruction maybe I can figure it out . I'll get back to you . thanks again !

nice work wy2...that is what I was trying to say..that 'bump' lol. It really helps bulk the fly out even in the water without adding the weight of a rabbit fly. And there are some definate uses for it..slow slow water salmon to be exact. They have atleast for me, torn this thing up fished on a 5 or 6' leader on a floating fly line in slightly dirty water to clear water.... It's really cool watchn a coho come up and pound on it like the dogs they are!

I add a couple strands of flashabou, silver or gold, and then finish with a collar of maribou, not needed for sure they both will work great.

I might add, fushcia and oranges have worked well also so dont be stuck on the typical popsicle color scheme....play around with it, you'll be glad you did!

I'm going to try to tie some tonight , you guys really went out of your way I appreciate it . From what I am reading of your description I think I was wrapping the feather on top of itself , it doesn't flare out like a regular hackle and I just assumed it would .

while you are palmering the maribou you can gently stroke both sides together and back sort of folding over the bottom half as if you were tying in a spey feather. It'll help from mashing down the bottom set of fibers. Dont pull to hard, maribou isnt the most durable material to tie with....you can break the steam quite easily or pull the maribou itself right off the stem...keep your wraps tight to eachother and tight up against that ball of chenille and it'll work great.