Thread: Young shooters

Default Young shooters

Does anyone have any information how I could get my 9yo daughter involved in some competitive .22 shooting in the Valley/Anchorage area? I need to encourage her talent while she is still interested!

Thanks in advance.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Smile Youngin's Shootin'....

AKmud,

"It's what daddy does" is the start. I have started out many little shooters at about age five. And, even younger we start showing and talking about guns and watching others (grown ups and other kids). I think 9 is a little late and they are not as receptive as the 5-7 age group. Not as "spongy". Kids can learn every part of a gun and how it works at age three. The atttention is short so a three minute session is about all you get but as a game they can name all the parts and how they work. This also helps eliminate the curiosity about them and helps teach the Eddie Eagle "Stop, don't touch it, tell a grown up" concept. It almost never works to start by talking about hunting. "Killing animals" doesn't appeal to little tykes very much. Shooting a 22 rifle is fun and it doesn't take them long to realize that. Both parents must be together on this "gun thing" or it won't ever work. You say competitive shooting, so I don't know if you mean she is already shooting on her own or you need to get her started out. If she is already shooting, I think the F&G indoor range has kid competition, they do here in Fairbanks. It think the 8-9 yr group just shoots prone at 50 feet, sights only, of course.

I have taught hundreds of people to shoot. Everything from combat pistol, to shotgun skeet shooting. All walks of people, boys & girls, men & women, soldiers & sailors, rebels & renegades and my absolute favorite students have been small children. The very best is a seven year old with a good bolt action 22 RF. That's what it's all about.....good shootin'.

Murphy

Default Thanks Murphy,

I appreciate the info. I am an Eddie Eagle instructor and can appreciate your emphasis on safety. My daughter has been shooting for 3-4 years now and is an accomplished markswoman(?). I am hoping to get her into something other than plinking cans and flip up targets with dad to maybe bring out her competitive edge. I posted a thread when we first switched over to this format with a picture of her with her first grouse from last fall. She doesn't seem bothered by the killing aspect of hunting and thoroughly enjoys seeing the progression from stalking the critter to taking a bite of it at the dinner table. I have no plans of moving her up to big game for several years or until she mentions it. Knocking over a moose or a deer is quite a bit different than a spruce hen.

I may have to inquire with F&G here locally to see if they offer the same type of youth shooting program. My daughter has her own Henry Mini-bolt .22 and handles it with the utmost safety. My other two daughters 6yo and 3yo love to shoot. The 3yo likes to pull the trigger and hear the bang (not having any idea where the target is, me holding the gun), my 6yo is getting the hang of aiming, but isn't very accurate yet (still working on it though).

Thanks for the info!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Smile Kids Shootin'...

AKmud,

You've got it. I guess I didn't understand your request.

Yeah, the 3 year olds love to make noise. I start 'em out the same way. Holding the gun and being safe and ear muff and targets. I put the rifle on sand bags and line it up then hold it in place and let them get on the rifle and squeeze (Yank!) and maybe break the clay target. Lots of fun for everybody.
    Some kids take to it and some loose interest. I have a nine year old grandaughter that shoots 1 inch groups from prone with her little CZ at 25 yards. A little "Oakley" for sure. Good fun and good shootin'.

Murphy

Its good to hear that folk are doing their part in passing this great part of our heritage on to the future generations. I have several guns in the cabinet that have the stocks wacked from when my kids were growing up. I was cleaning some of them up the other night as my grandson is now 3. He will get to do his first shooting with the same shortened up 514 Remington that his mom learned on. Fun times!