Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Browns off your bait - rubber bullets?

Default Getting Browns off your bait - rubber bullets?

I am currious to know what people have tried to discourage Grizzlies from tearing up your site and scaring away all the black bears?

Anyone tried shooting them with rubber bullets, bean bags, or a potato gun? I was thinking that the riot police paintball guns with peper spray in the balls would be a good idea.

Technically, wouldnt that be considered taunting wild game?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It sounds to me like we need to get some of us predator callers involved to help the baiters. I wonder if predaor calling in the same general area (not AT the bait stations) might lure grizzlies hanging in the area to check out a suffering easy to catch hot meal. Just a thought.

I would say it's probably "harrassment" but IDK...I do know that I would wear a helmet, mouthgard and have some clean undies along before I did that on purpose....

Just stop baiting it for a week or so, when they realize there's no more food they'll go somewhere else to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I am currious to know what people have tried to discourage Grizzlies from tearing up your site and scaring away all the black bears?

Anyone tried shooting them with rubber bullets, bean bags, or a potato gun? I was thinking that the riot police paintball guns with peper spray in the balls would be a good idea.
    Well when u bust out that potato gun please let me know I'd love to watch that.. lmao!! or at least get a video of that.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

the area i hunt has way more browns than it needs, it also has a lot of baiters who have seem to been over run by browns, I went with about a 7inch hole in the center of my barrel an use popcorn, to my surprise i had no browns it dosent have protein like the dog food. so even if they do come i dont think they will stay long .the small hole seems to make it a little tuffer on them. best of luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

I think that the rubber bullets would be harrasment of game, plus there might be more than one brown bear in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Well when u bust out that potato gun please let me know I'd love to watch that.. lmao!! or at least get a video of that.
    I'd like to see it too! I've got an outstanding slow motion visual of a Grizz getting mashed in the in the gut with a 4" potato!

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I think that the rubber bullets would be harrasment of game, plus there might be more than one brown bear in the area.
    I have to agree, this would undoubtedly be a no-no....Good tip Jess!!

Default Amen!!

Never have time to run a bait anymore, but I'd be able to scratch out the time to set out and squall up a brownie!! Calling bears is better than sliced bread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    It sounds to me like we need to get some of us predator callers involved to help the baiters. I wonder if predaor calling in the same general area (not AT the bait stations) might lure grizzlies hanging in the area to check out a suffering easy to catch hot meal. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    Never have time to run a bait anymore, but I'd be able to scratch out the time to set out and squall up a brownie!! Calling bears is better than sliced bread!!
    What kind of call sequencing/sounds are you using for bears. As far as I know, the only species illegal for electronic calling is Moose, right?

Unhappy

I called the wildlife troopers to ask and was told that any contact would be illegal contact. Noise okay, but you can't contact them in any way. Either don't do it or don't talk about it if you're gonna do it anyway.

Sorry to break that to you.

Taylor

The local game trooper told my buddy you can't shoot a brownie any where there are bait staions set if you know there in the area. Also I baited where there was a number of browns and never had one hang on a pile of donuts while the other guys kept feeding them dog food
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Angry Show some freakin ethics

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baitem907

Quote:
    Originally posted by BrentC
    I'd like to see it too! I've got an outstanding slow motion visual of a Grizz getting mashed in the in the gut with a 4" potato!

C'mon guys, I hope your kidding but it sure doesn't sound like it. Do you seriously want to be breaking the ribs (potentially) on a grizzly bear or hurting it? I believe a spud gun at 30' could screw a bear up, maybe break something. Don't get me wrong, I have lost count of the big game animals I have harvested but to needlessly inflict pain on such a great animal, or any animal, certainly shows lack of any and all respect.

I think this is a pretty sad statement "I have an outstanding slow motion visual of a Grizz getting smashed in the gut with a 4" potato!". That's about as cool as the school kids who harrassed that moose that was up against a fence until it died. What's wrong with people? Of course that's only my opinion which won't buy you diddly...

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    C'mon guys, I hope your kidding but it sure doesn't sound like it. Do you seriously want to be breaking the ribs (potentially) on a grizzly bear or hurting it? I believe a spud gun at 30' could screw a bear up, maybe break something. Don't get me wrong, I have lost count of the big game animals I have harvested but to needlessly inflict pain on such a great animal, or any animal, certainly shows lack of any and all respect.

I think this is a pretty sad statement "I have an outstanding slow motion visual of a Grizz getting smashed in the gut with a 4" potato!". That's about as cool as the school kids who harrassed that moose that was up against a fence until it died. What's wrong with people? Of course that's only my opinion which won't buy you diddly...
    I agree with J!! you are taking that risk when you bait and I believe anyone that baits knows that its a part of it. I would be thinking about changing the bait or leave it empty for a while or change locations.

If you're going to be there, why not try the squelch button on a megaphone or some fire crackers? Plenty of noise, scare the bear, and no contact. If you wanted to get creative you could wire either one to be triggered remotely so you could be a little ways away when you scare the s out of the brown bear.

We respect the laws and know the laws as well. We have never shot at a brown over bait, nor even made a peep of noise. We just let them eat and move on. Its a bit unnerving sitting in a tree stand with these guys 30-50 yards away. We know that is the risk we take when we bait black bears. You are not calling in a certain color bear and those are the chances we take. When I first read the post about a spud gun, I laughed, thought it was a joke to be honest.
    My husband found humor in the visual of anyone even attempting to take a spud gun,lighter fluid and a sack of potatoes into a tree stand. Sorry but my husbands sense of humor is a bit off.
    I do like the idea of a blow horn... general lee?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post

I'll shed a little light on my perspective. I get your point, and I agree with you. I don't condone animal harassment for mere pleasure. And breaking the law is out of the question about shooting grizz from a bait stand. I viewed the potato gun situation like the little guy finally standing up to the neighborhood nuisance bully. I don't view it quite the same as the moose harassment. Although, I see how it can be viewed that way. I view it as standing up to the harasser, if that makes sense.

Let's be real here. I guess my perception of a majestic animal doesn't really include grizzly bears. In many instances I view grizzly bears as troublesome overgrown predators that look beautiful from the comfort of your couch or from a safe distance. I'd much rather see a healthy herd of moose than have an overpopulation of nuisance bears in the woods. Same with wolves.

How much do people really respect the majesty of grizzly bears? Most people respect grizzly bears because they are huge, mean and nasty. How many people harvest a grizzly for anything other than the trophy value of the hide and the skull? Meat? I don't think people are dead set on killing a grizzly for their tablefare value? The trophy value is what attracts hunters, and this is why the F&G has so heavily conserved them to the point of overpopulation. With the extra tag fees, guide fees, and resticted bag limits the F&G stands to make a ton of money from these critters. It's all dollars to them. It's almost like they don't notice the declining moose and caribou population in heavily populated bear areas.

I absolutely feel that F&G needs to bump up population control of these animals and I think shooting them over bait on a controlled basis would be a good option to exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Its a bit unnerving sitting in a tree stand with these guys 30-50 yards away.
    Comes with the hunt. Unnerving with 4 50-60 horny bulls thrashing through the alders at you. Unnerving stalking caribou with wolves in the area. Unnerving fishing PWS surrounded by killer whales.

It is what it is, doesnt mean we should lob objects at everything, minus what we are after. Its the nature of the game. Predators are out there, and they are simply doing their thing. You put out bait, they want it. I do think there is over run population and until F&G deems clearing them out a bit, we hafta follow the rules. I own land in an area with quite a few bears, so by nature my son stays close by, because even though I own the land in, I'm in their territory.

On second thought, you could put up a sign..."Blacks only"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast