Thread: Anyone ever buy a bumb handgun on purpose?

Default Anyone ever buy a bumb handgun on purpose?

The thread concerning the worst handgun you've ever owned prompted my thinking on this.

I have dealt with three different Sig Mosquito's that would not function well with any ammo. Better with some ammo than others but not good enough to satisfy me with any ammo. Beyond trying different ammo I never tried to resolve the problem. So...I bought a fourth one! I absolutely love the ergonomics of the little gun and everything about them other than they don't function worth a fiddlers fart!

The way things are is that my want to is getting ahead of my can do! Meaning that I have completely worn out a knee. Climbing big poles with spikes strapped to your legs for an average of 58 hrs/week for 25 years will do that to a feller. I ended up with an office job but it was just a little to late for my running gear. June 29th I get a new titanium knee and only because they don't come in chrome molly! There are lots worse things that could happen than getting a new knee so I concider this a minor set back.

I am but 51 so that means there are still lots of fox/coyotes that I got to sneak up on. The rungs on my ladder stands aren't nearly worn out and a big ole whitetail can't drag itself to the truck. Therefore this knee thing has to happen.

Whether I likes it or not I am going to be somewhat confined for a little while and thats where this troublesome little Sig comes in. I have one of thoses fancy eatin trays that goes across the arms of my recliner and it will serve as my skeeter fixen workbench. I have an end table right next to my chair that will hold my gun fixen toolbox, dremel tool, ear muffs, 22 shells, a soda pop and my pain killers (pain killers bind me up something fierce so unless I'm throbbing clear up to noggin I ain't eatin them), From my chair to the tother end of the living room is 24 feet. Whats gonna be sitting there is a 4ft long x 4ft high x 12inch deep box made out of 3/4 inch plywood. This box will be filled with sand and have rubber matting on the front that will self seal after a 22 bullet goes through it thus preventing sand leakage (mother wouldn't go for that). I figure if I take a bed sheet and kinda hang one end of it over and tuck it behind the picture of Aunt Ethel and Uncle Clellie and then run the other end over to Bub's wedding picture and do the same it should hang in such a fashion as to keep the spent case from dinging up mothers fresh painted wall and they will fall in a neat little pile so all she'll have to do is bend over and suck em up with my shop vac. I'll even alert the neighbors on both sides just in case we both have our windows open at the same time. Trust me they ain't gonna think nothing of it!

I think I'll order a Wolf spring kit for my Single Six just in case the Sig gets fixed to soon or I bugger it up to the point where there ain't no hope for it! Stranger things have happened!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I guess Pole Jockeys, can get some inspirational ideas up there where the air is thinner.

Don't forget the ear protection. Also, for your better half, or send here out shopping when it's time to TEST.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

keep up posted...I have a Sig skeeter' as well and have the same issues....neat little gun, just a bit troublesome...if you get it cycling reliably, I'd love to hear how you did it...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Unless I read this wrong, shooting a gun in the house while popping pain killers just sounds like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Unless I read this wrong, shooting a gun in the house while popping pain killers just sounds like a bad idea.
    You read it wrong! If the knee is hurting bad enough that it is throbbing in my head then I might take a pain pill. If I'm hurting bad enough for pain pills then working on or shooting the gun is definatley out. I have never held a gun in my hands while under the influence of anything. I don"t drink or do drugs and I will only take perscription stuff as a last result.

Sorry for the confusion!

Default I didn't see

your computer in your plans for your "office"! Maybe we all need a blow by blow reading on this repair job recorded for prosterity. :-)
    How long are you going to be chairbound?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Total Knee replacement.

Been there and done the knee thing. Make sure you have a bunch of ice in the house when you get home! I went through almost 20 pounds of ice a day for about 2 weeks here but since it was winter the wife stacked it on the deck like firewood. Donít want to spook you but it hearts like heII and donít be stubborn about the pain meds like I was . . . you will need them to push through the pain of PT!! Take the meds and push your new knee to bend all you can take is how you get the best out of it. I skimped on the meds as I hate dope, that landed me back in the OR so they could bend my knee and rip the adhesions lose so I could go through it all again. Now, after a year and a half, itís great with no pain at all so it was well worth it. Best of luck with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Have you tried the Aguila 60gr subsonic sniper ammo? It fixed a beretta bearcat( or some such cat) that I was playing with for a friend. It wouldn't shoot anything else I tried more than a couple rounds before hanging up. It's completely reliable with that stuff. But try everything else first as it sounds like you my have some time on your bu er hands. Good luck with the knee.

The Sheeter got sent back to Sig. I found a crack in the slide. This crack was an inch long and ran along the outside of the slide in conjunction to were the the frame groove/slot is on the inside of the slide. I'm sure this had nothing to do with the feeding issues but I'm still not gonna waist my time fixing a feed issue on a gun with a cracked slide.

So to pass the time I will work on the Blackhawks and reload some ammo. I bolted my old Rock Chucker to a heavy duty computer desk and stuck a tub full of reloading supplies under it. Mother doesn't like it in her living room but she does like it better than the thought of me turning her living quarters into a shooting gallery!

The new knee is a full week old today. It still hurts but since I've only ever said ouch twice in my life, I'm doing OK.

I put a Wolf spring kit in my Single Six yesterday and this morning a new Baretta Neos wandered up the drive on the back of a Harley Davidson. So I must go shoot them. I will also take a couple of MKII's and a S&W 17 along.

Its very nice out, about 80 degrees and calm. In another half hour the picnic table that doubles as bench will be in the shade of a big ole walnut tree. Mothers even volunteered to go along and staple up the targets. Actually she said that since I was to stubborn to listen to reason then she would have to go along in case I was to fall down or some such nonsense!. Stappling up targets falls right in line with that.

Yes sir ..its a fine afternoon/evening for a five handgun rimfire shoot off. Any bets on who the winner will be? Me!.... more than likely. Which gun? All iron sights @ 50 ft! Shooting the same el-cheapo Federal ammo in all 5 guns!

Well looky there, mother not only packed the guns, ammo, targets and staple upper into the back of the truck she's now backing it right up, across the grass to the back door to get me (driving on momma's grass could get a feller dead). So either she really loves me or she is making a very vivid point! I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say "What a woman"!

Stay tuned for results!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:

I hadda good day at the range today, myself.

AND, we had a lot of 80 Degree temps all around the Greatland, today too.

My New Bar Gun shot purty good, and I got a cupla 1" groups, (3 shots) and a couple more, that were a bit larger, using ammo made for it before it was sporterized. The loads were crimped, but with the new barrel, and all, they were too long so I hadda seat them deeper, PAST the crimp, so's they would fit.

What a positively Lovely Gun, especially, since I was also shooting my 338. The 7x57 was downright pleasant by comparison.

I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend. I'm sure you'll be back in pursuit of the Varmints before very long.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

All five guns shot minute of squirrel noggin at 50 feet.

My favorite of the five would be the single six! This is a gun that I've had for a good while and have ignored most of the time I've owned it. The addition of a Blackhawk 41 mag a year or so ago rejuvenated my interest in the single six. However for me different grips were a must and as with all of my Blackhawks it now wears a set of Hogue Rubber grippers!

Ask me again next week and a certain Ruger MKII might be my favorite! It actually shot the smallest group of the lot. 5 shots under the size of a quarter!

Well I know one thing - If I ever get stove up I'm coming to your house to recuperate! Sounds like you're filling your time in a worthy manner. I hope that knee heals up so you can get out after some squirrels made out of something besides paper. I also have a single action rimfire I love. I bought it for my wife, but I've shot it more than her. It's a Cimmaron 22 Mag made in the early 80's. 5.5" bbl, case-hardened frame, rosewood grips. Very accurate and an absolute blast (pun intended) to shoot.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.