Thread: Photoshop question

Default Photoshop question

For what ever reason my Canon Zoom browser software will not allow me to convert my raw files. Today I went to Adobes web site and down loaded there free software plugin for CS which allows me to convert raw files.
    I believed I installed the plugin correctly but whenever I try to open a raw file I just get this message:

"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

This is the same message I would receive before installing Adobes plugin. Any ideas? Files coming off my 40D are labeled .cr2
    Tennessee

Solved the problem by downloading Canons DPP program.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Solved the problem by downloading Canons DPP program.
    Glad to hear you solved that problem. Canon ".CR2" are just RAW images. I too have a 40D, and sometimes use Canon "EOS Utility" do download the photos to my computer, while other times use PSE (PhotoShop Elements' "Bridge") to do it. When I work on the RAW photos, I live the original untouched, and work on a copy which I save to TIFF format. Then I save JPEG copies of the TIFF images for posting on the Internet, e-mailing to friends and family, or just for viewing on my computer screen.

You need Photoshop CS3 or higher to open 40D raw files. Even with the latest Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plugin for CS or CS2, it can't do it. Adobe's recommended workaround is to use their free DNG converter program to convert your *.CR2 files to *.DNG files. Then CS will open them up just fine with the latest ACR plugin.

There are other good reasons to convert to DNG anyway, so it's not really a waste of time.

Canon's DPP free download is awesome! Raw files open immediately and can then be saved as tiffs or jpegs. I should of started using this software a year ago.
    Canon even has tutorials on there web site:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/content/dpp2/index.html
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    You need Photoshop CS3 or higher to open 40D raw files. Even with the latest Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plugin for CS or CS2, it can't do it. Adobe's recommended workaround is to use their free DNG converter program to convert your *.CR2 files to *.DNG files. Then CS will open them up just fine with the latest ACR plugin.

There are other good reasons to convert to DNG anyway, so it's not really a waste of time.
    Maybe on the PC? I have been using Elements (PSE4, and now PSE6) on a Mac to open Canon RAW without any problem for at least four years. I just save them to TIFF format. and leave the original alone.

That's also true, Ray. You can use later versions of Photoshop Elements with the latest & greatest version of Adobe Camera Raw. You don't have to have the full version of PS CS3/4 to do that.

I'm guessing that although Elements 4 will open earlier versions of CR2 files, it probably will not open the ones from the 40D. You'd probably need version 5 or 6 for those. This is because every camera model's raw format is unique, and older software can't deal with them unless it has been updated too. Adobe only updates ACR for the latest version, and for a short time, the version before.

Their DNG converter always works though.

That's also true, Ray. You can use later versions of Photoshop Elements with the latest & greatest version of Adobe Camera Raw. You don't have to have the full version of PS CS3/4 to do that.

I'm guessing that although Elements 4 will open earlier versions of CR2 files, it probably will not open the ones from the 40D. You'd probably need version 5 or 6 for those. This is because every camera model's raw format is unique, and older software can't deal with them unless it has been updated too. Adobe only updates ACR for the latest version, and for a short time, the version before.

Their DNG converter always works though.
    I use both PSE4 and PSE5 in two different Macs. Both open 40D CR2 files without any problems. I just downloaded the updates from the Adobe site. Their DNG converter does work, and I use it sometimes.

Very interesting. I know that's not the experience with PS CS on PC's, and assumed it was the same for PSE on PC's & Macs. Good to know.

Very interesting. I know that's not the experience with PS CS on PC's, and assumed it was the same for PSE on PC's & Macs. Good to know.
    I do like PSE, but have been thinking of buying CS4 or so for the Mac. Will probably do that by the Fall. There are a few photo effects that mostly work with CS3 and 4. For example, tilt-shift effects, some of Fred Miranda, etc.