Thread: When do you winterize?

Default When do you winterize?

Looking at the fishapalooza schedule (September 13-27 or something like that), I'm trying to figure out if I would need to winterize a travel trailer prior to then.

When do you winterize your travel trailer or RV?

I assume it's not too difficult to winterize. I haven't researched that topic yet.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I wouldn't winterize it that early. I would do it after Sept. Free camping in Chugach National Forest starting mid-sept.

I haven't ever winterized my truck camper! Had to repair a part on my toilet this year as it was leaking and cracked (had water in it and froze over the winter ).

My dad said he empties his water tanks (and black/grey tanks) and blows compressed air throughout the fresh water system until only air comes out. Guess he does that instead of using the $4/gallon pinkish anti-freeze they sell.

Tim

BTW, what is fishapalooza?

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Looking at the fishapalooza schedule (September 13-27 or something like that), I'm trying to figure out if I would need to winterize a travel trailer prior to then.

I assume it's not too difficult to winterize. I haven't researched that topic yet.

We are still chasing silvers on the Kenai in late September. We do not winterize our motorhome until at least Oct. 1st or later.

Doing it your self it quite simple. Only takes a couple gallons of pink stuff. Drain you fresh water and water heater. Disconnect water line from fresh water tank and we have a suction type hose we place in into the antifreeze. Turn on your water pump and then all th faucet in your motohome. We do the sink, cold until comes out pink, then hot, till comes out pink. Put some down the toilet, make sure you do the shower as well. Also, we have a outside rinse station. That needs to be done as well.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default October, and easy

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

I winterize in October, and I figured it out myself with no manual or such and nothing froze/broke. Look for every last thing that can let water out, like little tiny unused (by you) plastic pipes leading down, and even pull the plug from the hot water heater while its pressure release and all faucets are open. Then pink stuff in and run every sink H and C until you see pink in both.

Though the pink stuff doesn't kill you its icky; I fill and drain like 10 times in a row when I summer-ize in April or May.

Of course a far easier way to accomplish all of this is to instead head down to the Brown Jug, get a few racks of Alaskan White, chill well, and make a post on this forum that the beers-on-ice and you are winterizing your trailer in this driveway on this sunny day. Ever read about Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence?

My birthday is October 2nd. How about a barbecue/fish fry/ winterizing get together. My neighbors certainly wouldn't mind a few extras in the neighborhood prepping for winter

Family man, I like the way you think!

definitely use the anti freeze...very easy and worth it to avoid missing a little water in a fitting...assuming that the fittings are plastic, they will break if any water is stuck in them...I learned that the hard way...

you'll probably spend 30 minutes your first time doing it and then less than 10 minutes each time after that.... definitely only a 'one beer' job...

like others said, don't forget your shower, and outside plumbing as well...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up you bet

Sure, sounds good. I've got a new saffron/habanero/lime/butter sauce that I recently entered into this contest, that loves to be poured over sockeye cooked with nothing more than salt and pepper - I can bring some of that to pour over the fish. The contest is probably a long shot but I'd love to make it into the finals.

And on 10/2, the Alaskan White can be brought by those who have never winterized a trailer before, and are looking for tips?

Default hey hey hey

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    you'll probably spend 30 minutes your first time doing it and then less than 10 minutes each time after that.... definitely only a 'one beer' job...
    Darn it tjm, knock it off there, or you'll have Phish thinking he can get 6 helpers over there by only buying a 6-pack....

Don't listen to him Phish. Winterizing is really, really, really hard. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

If I can make winterizing into an annual post-season event by purchasing a few cases of beer and keeping the propane for the grill full, I'm in.

Bring the kids! Make it an afternoon...

Most important thing to remember is you need to do it before first freeze up. I waited a little too long my first year with the rv and broke a part on the back of the toilet. Now I do it when it starts getting cold and it's pretty simple to do. Make sure you drain all your tanks, black, gray, and water, hot water heater and blow out all your lines with air. Close the line going to you hot water heater, fill with anti-freeze and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I waited a little too long my first year with the rv and broke a part on the back of the toilet.
    Yep, thats the part I broke on my camper toilet this year.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Now I do it when it starts getting cold and it's pretty simple to do. Make sure you drain all your tanks, black, gray, and water, hot water heater and blow out all your lines with air. Close the line going to you hot water heater, fill with anti-freeze and your done.
    Hmm..If you blow air through it do you have to add pink antifreeze? Seems like you wouldn't have to if you blew air into the system.

Tim

You probably wouldn't have too but the manual says to add it and I'm an ex AF mechanic and going by the manual is sort of a habit for me, just ask my wife.

One thing to remember. If you have a filter before your sink, Don't forget to take it off. You will stand there wondering why the water isn't turning pink and you will be stuck spending $30 at least on a new one. Been there done that and own the T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Yep, thats the part I broke on my camper toilet this year.

Tim
    Ditto my first year.

Then last year winter snuck up on me. The toilet survived fine along with all the pipes and fixtures. But the hot water heater exploded like a frozen pop can...

[Me this spring: "Honey, why isn't the water pump putting pressure in the lines?"]

[Her shortly thereafter: "But won't bypassing the hot water heater all summer mean I can't wash my hair in hot water?"]

Lesson learned.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"