Thread: Son's First Blackie

Default Son's First Blackie

Well folks, what can I say but it was exciting. The day started out with us taking a friends Super Cub over into unit 16 out in the middle of no where. I think if the hunt was over after just the first leg of the flight he, my son, would've been happy. He loved the trip in the plane seeing all the moose and a few bears on the way.

Well we land at the lake we are going to hunt and get settled into the stand. Thank God for Thermo Cell because the bugs were bad. It was uneventfull for the first 2 hrs or so then we both got a little excited as we here an animal running and crashing through the brush comming behind us. As I turn to look I could see a moose calf go past the tree and run down the trail we had come in on and jump in the lake! The calf hung around for about 40 min and we never saw the cow, maybe she was bear food becasue they were thick in this area.

Soon after we had a martin come in and climb up on the barrel and lick the syrup off and eat some bread. At this point I thought it was a good idea to have my son practice getting his cross hairs on the martin for when/if the time comes for the shot on a bear. "That's not a problem dad" he told me. I can see him just fine. (Please remember this last statement!)

Now it's kind of late and we knew it was getting down to the wire as to us flying back and I was begining to wonder if it would happen on this day or not. Then I heard the tell-tell sound of a twig snap behind us. As I turn I could see it was a decent bear. I tell my son to get ready and then "it" started.

"IT" was the old nervouse system going crazy in him. the tree stand we were in began to feel more like I was on a sander becasue of his shaking. The bear hung back in the wood for a good 30-40 min and all the while I'm trying to get him to calm down, take deep breaths and even tried to get him to focuse on the bait barrel using his scope. At one point his eye lids and all around his eyes turn blood red, I thought he was going to hyperventilate on me.

As the bear finally made it's way to the bait it presented him with a perfect broad side shot opprotunity, notice I said opprotunity. Now I'm watching the bear and waiting on him to pull the trigger but no noise yet. I encourage him to shoot but he is telling me he can't see the bear in the scope. (Remember the last statement about the martin) Well the bear turns it's butt towards us so I have him wait for the next opp. It comes in the next few minutes and again I tell him to take the shot. Well still no noise. I notice he is to far from the scope and have him lean into the gun and pull it tight against his shoulder, now it's fine. I can see him, he says.

As he's getting ready to pull the trigger the bear stands up and leans on the barrel but still gives a great angle so I tell him it's okay to take the shot now.....BOOOM One good shot tucked in just at the arm pit and down it went right at the bait. The next 30-45 seconds was kind of unnerving for my son as the bear did the old death moan.

Well after a few more minutes we climb down and now he can put his hands on his first black bear. I don't know who was more excited, him or me! This is turely God's great work at it's finest in the field!!!!!

We measured him out at the house and he was 5'10", and could strech him to just over 6'2" with hide off. Of course my son likes that number better! I'm sure that's how big he'll be to his friends. I haven't got the skull size yet but for a "first" bear I think it's prety darn good.

So as I wrap up my bablings all I can say is take your kid(s) hunting. You'll get more out of it than you do for your self. I have two more boys coming up behind him in age and I can't wait to get them their first animal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GAredneck; 06-16-2009 at 12:39. Reason: size of bear

Too cool, congrats to Dakota! I'm sure this is something he'll remember always. How old is he?

Great memories being born, can't get any better than that. Congrats!

That is awesome, nothing like spending time in the field with family. Congrats to you both on a fine bear.

Steve

Very, very cool. Congrats dad! You have a hunting partner for life! Love the brown snout on that bear too.

Awesome story man and congrats to you and your son! That's a great description you gave of the tree being on a belt sander when your boy started shaking, that will be something you both remember for a lifetime!

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the kind words,

Jerod--He is 10. He has been ragging his mom because she has been trying to kill a blackie and hasn't conected yet. I guess I better work on her now to keep in good standings so I can keep the kitchen passes going.

As I always say, a family that hunts/fishes together stays together

That is supper.Ya'll are lucky to have each other and may the memories continue.Yes work on keeping the kitchen pass up to date.Them cool winter nights are just around the corner