Thread: Where do you get your PWS weather reports?

Default Where do you get your PWS weather reports?

I am renting a boat this weekend out of whittier and am looking at the weather reports. We "want" to go down towards the south end of Knight island. Yesterday the reports were calling for 2.4Meter waves with 20km/h winds. Today that has gone down to 1.5Meter and 10Km/h...significantly better.

same site - but this is for Chenega Islands http://www.tide-forecast.com/locatio...latest/six_day

So - which reports do you use? What kinds of winds do you look for when heading south that will cause you problems?

We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

The two areas where you need to be concerned about are Wells Passage, and South of Perry Island until you get to about Crafton Island.

If you are planning to run down Culross passage, make sure you look at the notes from the Lethcoe guide, as the Narrows at the N end can be a bit tricky.

The forecast for Saturday is E wind to 20 knots and seas to 3', they haven't forecast for Sunday yet. A 3' chop out of the East makes for a pretty unpleasant slog in a small boat. Also there is generally A wind out of the N in Wells passage from the glacier, so that makes for confused seas in Wells passage.

But, it's early in the week to have a feel for what the weather will be doing this weekend. As we get closer it could change to winds less than 10 knots, or it could be a small craft advisory.

Dont just go by the marine weather forecast. Look at the bouy reports online at the National Weather Service. Experince is definatley helpful. Dont plan your first trip to go out to Seal Rocks. Don't think that it is all protected in there either, the weather comes out of the southeast and blows right up in there, but there are plenty of bays and coves to hide in. Be prepared to hide somwhere for a while especially in the fall/winter months. Always plan for the worst case senario and plan for that and you should be fine.

Fifteen knot winds out of the east would indeed make a run from Whittier to the southern end of Knight Island a bit uncomfortable for many smaller boats. If you do go out with knowledge of that forecast, be willing to stay put for a couple of extra days rather than fight worse-than-predicted weather to get back to town on time.

Default Call the NOAA weather line

I call the weather line before I head out, 1-800-472-0391 then enter 3224 for PWS specific info. Be safe and enjoy!

Ed

Default How I determine go or no go situations.

Use the webcams, NOAA data bouy's, and local weather. The webcams are kind of a long shot, but in conjunction with the other info you can paint a good picture of what you might find in other areas. For example; I look at a particular picture from a webcam in Seldovia that faces out of the bay, I see what the waves look like there. I check Seward, Whittier, and Homer webcams, none are great shots, but if you study them enough and go out enough all that info gives a good read on things.

Trying to make a firm decision for your weekend on a Tuesday is futile.....they can't forecast that far out accurately. You're lucky to get a 48 hour forecast that sticks. I go with a 24 to 48 and generally make my decisions on Thursday or Friday. Good luck!

Default anticipation

that is all - of course I won't call the shot until the time comes. The weather folks are pretty darn accurate about what is happening right now. The 24 hour NOAA reports are pretty good.

List up those webcams and links for where you look at the weather. The rental place uses this http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine and the prince william sound forecast the morning that you put in......he said if the wind is 15mph your pay for the boat, 20mph and it is up to the driver, 25 and he keeps the boat on land....

keeping my fingers crossed - we can deal with rain, but not 10 footers.

Talking PWS Web Cams

We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public