Thread: Good places for reds in PWS?

Default Good places for reds in PWS?

I usually only do kings/silvers/halibut/sea bass out of Whittier, but with the bumper crop occuring in the Russian has gotten me wondering if there are any good places to head for when heading out of Whittier.

Or for that matter does anybody know of good places in saltwater within driving/towing distance from Anchorage?

For a number of reasons I prefer to fish from a boat in the salt, but I don't remember ever seeing/hearing about reds in PWS.

I've got a 17 foot aluminum boat w/ a 75 Yam pushing it.

You can snag reds in Main Bay and in Jackpot Bay. There are a lot of setnet sites in Main Bay, so if you go in there do so slowly and during daylight when you can see (and avoid) the nets. There is also a run of reds at Coghill Bay, but my impression is that most of the fishing there is in the freshwater river.

Try Coghill, the limit is 6 per day/12 in possesion.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Here was our snagging trip for reds in Main Bay a couple years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G3fTWgVQew

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, I'll try both Coghill and Main Bay this upcoming weekend.

Appreciate it!

Main and coghill are the ways to go. We always go around the 4th of July and their are a crap load to snag. Can go sooner than that but thats when we go after them, course by then we have loaded the freezer with halibut and a few ling.