Thread: float hunt or hunt from high

Default float hunt or hunt from high

Ive been up in Fairbanks for over 5 yrs now and do to Uncle Sam needing me to spend my moose seasons either training or in Iraq this will be the first season of real hunting. Ive decided to bring my brother up from Kansas who is a phenomenal hunter and outdoors man to say the least, but we cant decide which to try and if we do float what rivers or streams are best for novice boaters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if you know anyone i can contact in or near Fairbanks.

Thanks

If I was you......
    With your limited time left in AK, limited experiences spent running rivers it would be benneficial to talk to these guys who will set you straight and will prob. give you a good deal considering you have saccrificed so much and missed out on a lot of hunt time. Hunt planners might be ur best bet: Mark Taylor (huntinghardinalaska.com) Mr Strahan @ lost creek or Larry Bartlett @ pristine ventures. These guys will make sure you head down a river with the right mentality and advice to ensure you are operating a "safe hunt" Good luck and start your studying....books, usgs maps, mapping software, game biolegists, and the handy dandy "search" button on this forum.

You will have a hard time finding an air taxi that still has slots open to fly you in or out for this fall. I would recommend that you make a plan ASAP. I would bet that the hunt planners are full up for this season already as well. You could hunt the YTA or Fort Greely on wheelers. Hope you have a good season. Birch creek up the Steese is a drive to put in and take out. Lots of people and few moose, but they are there. Most of the other local rivers require a fly in or fly out.

Good Luck

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 06-16-2009 at 14:49.

First of all, thanks for your service man and sorry you haven't yet had the chance to hunt moose in AK. That said -

If your bro is coming up to hunt, first thing to do is check units and seasons open to non-res hunters, that will narrow things down a little and give you a starting range of options and hunt dates. Then, you'll need to decide on float hunt or drop-off ridgeline hunt. I think a ridgeline hunt is easier, toughest parts will be packing any moose you shoot back to airstrip, caring for the meat until it's removed from the field, and finding a bush pilot who isn't already booked for the season.

If you opt for the float hunt, toughest parts will be floating AK river without much boating experience, physical effort involved with dragging raft and getting around sweepers, dealing with low or high water based on the rainfall this summer, and caring for your meat. Also, if you need a fly-out to the dropoff point, finding a pilot who isn't already booked will be a challenge.

Sorry I don't have any answers, but you'll need to start researching ASAP to pull it off by this fall. Good luck and good hunting!

Don't let being a novice scare you from doing a float hunt. First one I ever did I had never float hunted before or even used a raft, though I did have experience running a riverboat.
    Since your in Fairbanks, get ahold of Larry Bartlett, he's got the knowledge and the gear to get you out for a moose hunt, though time is of the essence. Hunting from a drop camp can be tough but if you can get put in a spot where there's a lake and you have a raft, it might make things easier. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You will have a hard time finding an air taxi that still has slots open to fly you in or out for this fall. I would recommend that you make a plan ASAP. I would bet that the hunt planners are full up for this season already as well. You could hunt the YTA or Fort Greely on wheelers. Hope you have a good season. Birch creek up the Steese is a drive to put in and take out. Lots of people and few moose, but they are there. Most of the other local rivers require a fly in or fly out.

Good Luck

Steve
    Now don't assume this too fast, hence the new forum started on AOD for a place to list "discount hunts". Our outta staters aren't pouring in the business like they used too......there may still be openings on one or more of the float planner's game boards. I'd like to see this member who has saccrificed so much enjoy the most memorable and successful hunt possible and hunting Greely on wheelers sure doesnt sound like encouraging advice to me.

I forgot to mention that we plan to recurve hunt. I know that makes the difficulty of the hunt sky rocket. But for me its always about the hunt not about the kill. Dont get me wrong though my mouth has been foaming after a bull moose since I was about 10 yrs old

well then quit "foaming at the mouth" day dreamin and git tah work on the plannin.......and make it happen.

sent an email to Mr. Bartlett. Does anyone know when the regs will be available online from adfg. I still have last yrs and imagine them to be similar however close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Especially with regards to adfg.

thats awesome perfect timing i know i just checked on like monday or so and they werent posted. It will only take me about an hour to download unit 20. but well worth it.

If you are bow hunting, try some of the bow only areas. Healy-Lignite Management Area is one in unit 20. Check to make sure but I believe you will need bow certification to hunt the bow only areas.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks Steve will check that out. My brother and I both have bowhunters safety so it should be now problem

Corey

If you live in Fairbanks and both you and your brother are both bow hunters, why not step out to the haul road?? Get two caribou each.

I would contact Wright's Air, Warbelow's, Brookes Range Aviation (in Bettles). If they have openings, they'll tell you where they can drop you off and pick you up. To include float or stationary hunts. Being military, you can probably rent a raft and other equipment from MWR.
    If you do a float hunt...you have the options of hunting along the river, and/or stop and climb to a high spot for glassing. Where you go depends on how much time you have. There's floats in the Brooks than can take a week to 2 weeks. You can get dropped off on a gravel bar high on the Wood River which goes through some good moose territory and float out...but you'll have company.
    If they don't have openings, you can ATV into the White Mountains (if you don't have one...rent from MWR). Or,
    I've floated the Dietrich River up by Coldfoot because you can put in and take out from the hall road. Didn't see anything floating, but I got a 61" with my bow while driving back to Fbx.
    Just some ideas....good luck.

Tried to make contact through email with some of the listed names, havent heard anything back. Will try and make phone calls hopefully by the begining of next week. Does anyone know of a good place to get topo's online?

Go to the USGS maps store in fairbanks.... good way to go. Find out where they sell them in Fairbanks. I'd also recommend the mapping sofware that comes with your GPS, im assuming you have one right? My garmin mapping software is kind of fun to look at on my comp. and has great detail, not to mention you can print out maps. USGS maps, gps, compass, and some printouts of important trails ive tracked (if needed).......that's all i use.