Thread: Different 200gr CoreLokt

Default Different 200gr CoreLokt

I just ordered some 200gr Rem CoreLokts from Midway. I have used these in factory ammo in the whelen and realy like them. They have a lower cannelure than the hornady spire point 200gr and thats why I bought them.

Well suprise surprise the ogive profile is more slimer than the hornady spire point now, not the spitzer it used to be and the cannelure is a full .125" higher right at the very top of the shank. I don't think there is any full bore above it. The old PSP CL was shorter with more weight up in the ogive area.

This a very different bullet, has any one used these? And when did they change, was this for the 350rem?

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    This a very different bullet, has any one used these? And when did they change, was this for the 350rem?
    If memory serves, the 200-grain bullet for the 350 has always had a different profile. I could be wrong in that, but the specs of your bullet sure line up with my frail memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If memory serves, the 200-grain bullet for the 350 has always had a different profile. I could be wrong in that, but the specs of your bullet sure line up with my frail memory.
    Does rem make two different 358/200gr pointed bullets? I will check with midway to see if they have both. I wanted to try them in the 358win beause they do not go into the case as far as the spire point and would also be closer to the lands and still be able to LEE F-Crimp. I am one who really doesn't perfer my bullets hanging way out of the case just seems unbalanced specialy when there is a cannelure.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Does rem make two different 358/200gr pointed bullets? I will check with midway to see if they have both. I wanted to try them in the 358win beause they do not go into the case as far as the spire point and would also be closer to the lands and still be able to LEE F-Crimp. I am one who really doesn't perfer my bullets hanging way out of the case just seems unbalanced specialy when there is a cannelure.
    I can't find any info to that affect today, but I distincly recall earlier ones with kind of a ring around the bullet right at the orgive in addition to one without, the former with the cannelure pushed way forward almost to the orgive. Like I said, I'm reaching back a lot of years and the old memory gland isn't pumping juice like it did years ago.

My 35whelen ammo from which the old corelokt came from is say from the 1990's. It works great on deer I thought it would be great in the 358win for the reasons given.

I have the 200gr spire points so I am set and these will mose likely work fine I just won't use the cannelure that would push the distance to the lands to something 0.155" in sted of the .030" for the hornady and say .020" ish for the old corelokt PSP.

All I can think of is it was for the 350rem when they brought it back say ten years ago. I still will call remington to get the facts and midway just incase they have both and don't know it.

Called Remington today and they only made one 358 200gr PSP and its the newer high cannelure. They say it will perform the same as the older ones I have. They also said 358 cal bullets are in high demand and they have a two year back order for them. Good news they will continue making them way into the future. They also said many southern states opened their muzzle loading season to 35 cal and larger center fire rifles so it is also a reason for the higher 358 cal bullet deman.

All in all things are looking better for the 35 cal rifle and ammo.