Thread: Methods and Thoughts on How a Freighter Canoeist Can Find Trophy Bulls

Default Methods and Thoughts on How a Freighter Canoeist Can Find Trophy Bulls

The high price of gas has hindered many Alaskan's hunting trips. The freighter canoeist is less affected by these high prices. This is because a freighter canoe is a highly efficient/ big load hauling (but slow) craft that rings as many miles out of a gallon of gas as possible.
    There are some awsome rivers in the interior that could be considered your "highway". The Kuskokwim, Koyukuk, Yukon, and Porcupine rivers would def. be considered your highways to get you part way there. With a good motor lift, advanced prop and skeg protectors, and a will.....there's a way. Some of the smaller rivers for which I won't mention (privacy) are the "final" hunting grounds for the methods I'm about to mention. With your river running skills, some possible lining of your highly manueverable/rather light boat, your will power and courage......you can get pretty far up these smaller rivers. Now is the time that you can work your methods for a trophy bull.
    You find smaller creeks that show potential for moose density, you pull the freighter up on shore, hide your belongings from sight, put on your pack (ultralight everything), and proceed to hike however many miles you think you can cover up creek, but far enough away from the creek (about a mile away) so as not to spook any of the game you're about to persue. When you get to that final destination you set up spike camp and get a good rest. The next morning.....assemble that ultralight inflatable (45-55 lbs.) that you had in your pack and proceed to float that small creek back to the river calling and haulting at those spots where you think that big bull (because you studied your maps) might be. This is where a buddy team is of most importance because the both of you have these inflatables to assist each other in getting this moose meat and antlers back to the canoes. Once back to the canoes you rest if possible. Repeat the process if another bull is desired (and you have the time) by the other hunter..... The freighter gets you there, but your determination, courage, physical condition, and these unconventional methods may bring you the succses that the float trippers are able to achieve for far less money.
    This is an extremely exausting and difficult way of hunting trophy moose. By doing it this way you may be curbing a ton of unforseen costs like paying a hunt planner/or guide, paying (possibly) thousands of dollars for the air charter, paying for off season scouting (by plane), or burning an obsene amount of fuel to run a larger jet boat. No crowds of atv hunters either (more peaceful). Generally.....a 9.9 horse four stroke will burn 1 gallon of fuel per hour @ WOT. If you are going 300 miles up river, you better plan for fuel, once you've arrived at that final smaller tributary where you plan to hike these creeks, it may be benneficial to store all your excess fuel out of sight somewhere near the mouth to make your run up the smaller river a lighter one as you will be expelling a ton of energy possibly having to line the freighters and hiking packs n rafts 8 or more miles up the smaller creeks.
    If any forum member sounds interested in this method of trophy moose hunting hundreds of miles away from the closest road..... feel free to pm me and I may be able to accomodate you if you posess the skills, determination, and physical condition to put in this much effort. The best available "new" freighter for this method of hunting? Hands down: http://www.scottcanoe.com/1_canoes/albany.html the Albany by Scott Canoe. In kevlar would be good too (if you could afford it). The target weight of this canoe that you may have to line up shallows and rapids is a very very important consideration. The mack sport 18 would be what I consider to be the second place choice (clipper canoes). The best "newly avail." motor for this type of hunting? The yami 8 horse (two stroke) @ 65 lbs., the Tohatsu 9.9 @ 80 lbs., the new suz. 9.9 @ 85 lbs.
    ***The two freighters/ buddy team is of utmost importance in case one boat/motor goes down being this far away from help as is a SPOT P.L.B.***

boy I wish I wasnt still broke from my divorce last year I'd jump at the chance, have the wilderness experience, have even built a canoe (albeit a 14' solo), and all the gear. Cant afford to buy a freighter or the motor to go with it..have been looking hard at possibly building a freighter, stripper style though it wont be done in time for this season I'm sure . Have been watching craigslist for someone feeling bad for a guy like me willing to give it up...seen some sweet deals shew....thinking of getting a second job to buy one!!!! If you dont find someone, I'd hope ya keep me in mind. I'm a bowhunter at that, so to be honest I'm not a big killm bang bang shootm up hunter. I love to hunt, and enjoy the opportunity, good company and every once in awhile kill an animal or too. I dont need too much so I dont kill to much!!!

I have two freighters buddy, you would just need to have a small inflatable something for the methods mentioned. Sorry to hear bout ur divorce, (most of us have been there) and don't give me that sob story again....Ur a single guy! From this point on....no drama....no one to tell you for what to spend ur money on or what u can do!.......you freakin lucky guy! Hope my wife doesnt find this post but.......I sometimes miss those single guy days! Keep in touch and maybe we can meet up for some off season stuff like ice fishing this winter as I will be missing this hunting season too. Oh yeah....I'll let you borrow a brand new cz in 9.3x62 mauser if you promise to leave that bow at the house

Default yes

You've got my interest. Got an Albany and love it. Let's talk more.

P.S. You shot my little moose last year.... and I think that was you and I on Lake T. just before; I didn't know you so I led you over yonder before I shot back across the lake to get pictures of the Caribou I knew were crossing, that are in my photo album visible only to friends. Friend me and go look.

Yeah, lets talk.

Only guy I remember running into was an older fella and his wife in a big jet boat half way up tyone lake in the middle of the lake, I checked to see if they were ok and continued up the lake to the river. He was just there relaxing with his wife....they were watchin the sunrise together. It was a "meat hunt" cuz I only had two days and I was by myself. I was the first one on the river that morning, only two parties passed me by while I was dressin him out on the river....a zodiak, and a big jet boat came by at trollin speed. Looks like we better band together if u are interested...........

Default k, maybe not

OK, maybe it wasnt' you. I was where Lake T heads into T River, and it seemed like a second big canoe was shadowing me. A herd of large caribou shot across Lake T and I headed another way, with the second canoe trailing behind. I was faster, and left them over there and still got back to the herd of swimming bow before they landed on shore.

I wasn't hunting bou; it was just for fun.

But you got the moose I'd been looking for right in there. Good job.

Yes, maybe we should. What'cha doing in September? Oh yeah, Moose Hunting!

I have a couple inflatables, one I think would work it's light enough and I've done some long trips in it. Have thought of hiking it in a few times, but most of my time was devoted to sheep till I started guiding. Then the divorce, so to say I havent done much hunting up here these last few years might be an understatement lol I'm game for some ice fishing, have enough gear to supply a small army there also LOL! Sleds, portable fish house, fish finder, yadda yadda yadda..and a drive for big lakers..or char...

I dunno about leaving the bow there but I seem to have a few extras 'laying' around. So you can keep that rifle . My email is tradbow@hotmail.com give me a shout. I'll be out and about chasing kings here in a couple of days..and possibly down your way chasing reds when we're done with the pigs.

Dan